• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fighting the urge...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

I've been fighting the urge to overclock my system until I get the money to watercool it. However, it's becoming more and more difficult, every time I look at it, it screams "What are you WAITING FOR?!". I messed around with it not too long after I finished it, and got a very fast and easy, mostly stable, 4.7GHz without touching voltage, if I remember correctly. I don't think I'll be getting to high an overclock on my GPUs until they're watercooled, as the primary card gets too warm at ~1300MHz, but that may just be my inexperience.

Anyway, what do you all think? System specs are in sig, should I go for the overclock, or wait until my tax return comes back next year to watercool it, and then push for the overclock?

Also, there is a third option: Should I just grab an NH-D14/15 or one of the customizeable closed loop coolers and say to heck with the custom loop?

So is everything on Auto except core ratio and maybe RAM (XMP)? What is your CPU VID as it shows in HWMonitor? "Auto" may be raising volts for you.

Yea, everything was set to auto except for the CPU multiplier, and I had my ram set to XMP. I only stressed for ~20mins, so I have no idea if it's fully stable like that, but right now all is at stock.

The GPU is what I'll need more help with, but more or less I was wondering if I should overclock everything now, or wait.

I've been fighting the urge to overclock my system until I get the money to watercool it. However, it's becoming more and more difficult, every time I look at it, it screams "What are you WAITING FOR?!". I messed around with it not too long after I finished it, and got a very fast and easy, mostly stable, 4.7GHz without touching voltage, if I remember correctly. I don't think I'll be getting to high an overclock on my GPUs until they're watercooled, as the primary card gets too warm at ~1300MHz, but that may just be my inexperience.

Anyway, what do you all think? System specs are in sig, should I go for the overclock, or wait until my tax return comes back next year to watercool it, and then push for the overclock?

Also, there is a third option: Should I just grab an NH-D14/15 or one of the customizeable closed loop coolers and say to heck with the custom loop?

why has no1 told this guy that the psu hes using is nowere near powerful enough for ocing with 2 cards ? like each gpu can pull around 350 watts when oced that leaves 50 watts for cpu and other parts of his system lol gl with that

- - - Updated - - -

with one gpu yea he could with 2 gpus and overclocking the cpu as well lol not going to happen on a 750 watt psu

- - - Updated - - -

id fight it quite abit longer untill u get a new psu as well unless u wanna fry ur stuff or have terrible power managment and all your gear underperforming

- - - Updated - - -

btw cpu vid in hw monitor doesnt show what the max cpu voltage is being used it shows the voltage u set at the top of the page of hw monitor when u open it look down untill u see vin4 vin 4 shows the real cpu voltage being used =D

why has no1 told this guy that the psu hes using is nowere near powerful enough for ocing with 2 cards ? like each gpu can pull around 350 watts when oced that leaves 50 watts for cpu and other parts of his system lol gl with that

- - - Updated - - -

with one gpu yea he could with 2 gpus and overclocking the cpu as well lol not going to happen on a 750 watt psu

- - - Updated - - -

id fight it quite abit longer untill u get a new psu as well unless u wanna fry ur stuff or have terrible power managment and all your gear underperforming

- - - Updated - - -

btw cpu vid in hw monitor doesnt show what the max cpu voltage is being used it shows the voltage u set at the top of the page of hw monitor when u open it look down untill u see vin4 vin 4 shows the real cpu voltage being used =D

Probably because you are wrong. At stock, a 980's TDP is 165w, and without a bios mod (which I won't be doing), you can only up it by 25%, so ~206w for TDP. Even if you figure in 500w for dual GPUs, it'll be overkill. I have a 750w QUALITY PSU, and there's no way the rest of my system, overclocked or not, will touch the leftover 250w of headroom.

+1...you have plenty of power man. PLENTY.

Also, when there isn't enough power things don't "underperform". It either works at the speed its rated for, or doesnt. Cpu, gpu, ram...etc...

Back