• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Filling my first loop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Okay, I have all the parts in place, now all I have to do is place the tubing in and fill the system with coolant. Couple of questions...

1. How do I fill a loop with coolant through a drive bay res? (through the fill port?)

2. When the coolant is in the loop, do I just turn on the pump?

3. Advice to ensure less air in the loop?

4. What is the best loop series? (Read sig. for specs)

1. Yes, through the fillport.

2. So long as the pump is primed (has water in it) you can. I'd recommend using an external 12v power source to run the pump in case you get leaks.

3. You can move the case around as you fill to allow bubbles to move from the rad and other parts to the reservoir and out of the system. When bleeding the system run with the cap off.

4. Whatever uses the least amount of tubing.

Agree with 1 and 2 from moto.
For 3 would like to add that you should make sure that when filling the reservoir is the highest point in the loop. Fill slowly and carefully giving time for air to escape. Once the loop is full (coolant filling the res not loop) turn the pump on for about half a second. This will push any big air bubbles up to the res and out the fill port.
The next thing to do would be take a spare PSU out of your PC and set it down somewhere with no electrical goods nearby. Plug your pump and fans into the PSU and turn it on with the res at the highest point of the loop and the fillport open. Leave to run for 2-3 hours checking for leaks as you go.
For 4: Pump>Rad>CPU block>NB block>GPU Block>Res or put the res first.
I hope you have a biocide with your fluid, if not get some PT nuke or aquarium equivalent. Bacteria will feast on your FluidXP's dye and clog up all your pipes otherwise.

Thank you for reminding/suggesting PT Nuke - I hadn't even thought of another additive with something like Fluid XP+EXT.

No problem, see lots of guys on these forums with non conductive dyed solutions forgetting that although they won't fry your components and algae won't grow, warm water and a food source = bacteria.

Well it sure was good to know lol

Got one more quick question and you can be on your way lol...

Is it ok to go ahead and fill the loop with the Fluid XP and then add a drop of the PT Nuke into my reservoir after I receive it in the mail?

I have all parts ready to go and all I'm waiting for is the PT Nuke - I'm kind of anxious to see if my first rig even works at all :-/

THX again!

Back