• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally back with a new build idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

Figured I'd just recycle my current thread since the title is pretty generic. This build I came up with, with a lot of help from people on OCN, is pretty different from my origional idea in that it kind of combines everything i want to do, but better. After talking to some people over on OCN I was suggested virtualization. Using a VM for anything and everything, pretty much. So not only will this build be got gaming, everyday web surfing use, my HTPC and dabbling in rendering. it will also be a pretty little or kind of large but still sort of pretty VM. So this is really everything I want and need all in one, without having to have two seperate systems like I planned on before. Now I messed with Linux before, so I know a little about that. Though I want to take it a step further with VM's. Like I said before, for pretty much anything and everything. So here is what I have come up with. Any opinions, suggestions or questions?

Budget is around $3000, which this is JUST under.

Case: AZZA Genesis 9000B
MoBo: ASRock X79 Extreme11
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2133
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair SP120 High Performance Edition
GPU: PowerColor AMD Radeon HD 7970 VORTEX II
GPU Cooler: Antec KUHLER H2O 920 *Red Mod
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250GB
HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: SeaSonic X Series 1050W
ODD: ASUS DVD Burner OEM

*The Red Mod is basically using a closed loop liquid CPU cooler on an AMD GPU. Exactly the same as "The Mod" for Nvidia.

• Will I need more RAM than 16GB for rendering and such?
  • Should I invest in more HDD's/SSD's?
  • Or will I actually need more than 2-3 HDD's/SSD's?
  • I will be investing in a 1440p monitor as well, so i may add a second GPU later on, not 100% yet.

Last edited:
if your using a single 1080 monitor like most just got with a 2GB GTX 670/680 or comparable AMD if you prefer them.

as far as your Velociraptor while great drives for there time they cant even compare to the speed of a SSD i would go with a SSD and if you need more storage space just get a cheep 1TB drive for backups etc.

also for your budget i dont see any reason you cant get a i7 3770K.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably go with a 670, more than likely, so should I get a cheaper PSU?

Definitely can save a ton of money. Even the MIVG is overkill, more a benchmarking board (heavy OCing with extreme cooling) than a general use/gaming board. i5 and i7 also perform basically the same in gaming. 650W is more than enough for SLI 670s, they're pretty power efficient. You can get the less efficient/more powerful 7970 for basically the same price though.

Building in that small case with that giant cooler is going to be a PITA btw.

You live nearby a Microcenter?

Would you suggest something more along the lines of an ASRock Extreme4? I will stick with the i5 then and what cooler would you recomend for this case?

I do not live by one of those, sadly.

So if I go with a less efficient 7970 would I need a slightly bigger PSU vs 650W for a couple 670's?

Oh wow, that case is a lot bigger than I thought. Didn't know it could even fit a full ATX board, you might be fine with the NH-D14 in that case.

Assuming lots of OCing, 650W for 670SLI and 750W for the 7970 CFX.

Yeah it is pretty large, that's why I picked the NH-D14 in the first place, I guess I will keep[ it then. =]

What are your thoughts on ths ASUS Matrix 7970? I know I probably couldn't CFX it but I figure if it's supposed to be so great 1 would probably be enough? Or would you suggest another 7970 instead to save some more money? I will be OCing btw, forgot to mention that.

Before I totally write off CFX how many expansion slots are needed for two triple slot GPUs? Would I need at least 8 or 9? And which mobos can handle two Matrix 7970s? Just curious.

Last edited:
It's not going to perform bounds and leaps better than a 7970...it's made to be excellent with extreme benchmarking. It's an extremely suped up card because in benchmarking, that extra 10MHz makes all the difference. Really...shipping that card with a heatsink on it is almost pointless. For gaming purposes, I'd just get the cheapest non-reference card you can find. The differences between the expensive ones and the less expensive ones is really only going to be obvious with subzero cooling.

Most full ATX Z77 boards can fit two triple slot GPUs.

Ouch, Newegg has one hefty shipping charge on that case, might want to find a local source for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Are 7 expansion slots enough for two triple slot cards? I think it would be with a slot in between for spacing, or am I wrong? The HAF XB only has 7 slots so if I need more I'll have to pick a different case for triple slot cards. Is there a better budget board than the extreme4?

Yeah the shipping is harsh. As much as I love the case I might look for some that is compatible in price or a little more with low/free shipping just because it seems to make more sense. I won't be going under water with this anytime soon so as long as the case can handle a decent heatsink I will be happy. I just want a nice powerful gpu and a gaming PC because my dell just doesn't cut it. Haha

That's not a bad list at all. I will keep that in mind as I make more decisions about parts. So you think a Raptor HDD is pretty overkill for just storage, movies and music and such?

Last edited:
Ok so after some good thinking I have decided I really want to treat myself. I know this will probably be overkill for gaming and such but I figure, if i spend a little more on nice things now it should last me even a little longer later on?

I really want to base the build on the Matrix 7970 and Maximus V EXTREME, this way I can add a second later on. I may not be able to use both cards in every game, like Skyrim for example but I am sure most games don't have problems with using CFX 7970s.

I will be getting at least $350 this christmas so that will be a good start and I could probably even save at least another $50-$X00 by the time I get my big moneys.

I know saving money is always a good thing, but it's not everyday you get a few thousand dollars to spend on whatever your heart desires. So I have my heart set on something around what I just mentioned. I was thinking something like this.

Case: AZZA Genesis 9000B
MoBo: ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core (don't know if I should go with an i7 or just stay with the i5 as with the i5 this will cost around $2050.)
HSF: Noctua NH-D14
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7970 Matrix Platinum
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series 250GB
HDD: Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB 10000RPM
PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
ODD: ASUS DVD Burner OEM

So I was looking into something along those lines with adding a second Matrix a few months after since I do need to save some of my money I get.

Now this is something I would heavily consider putting under water in the future but for now it will just be air and some good OCing.

Will the 850W PSU be enough for a couple Matrix 7970s? That is the biggest concern i have, not the money. I was thinking I may even add another SSD or VelociRaptor later on if i need more space. For now though this is the base of what I am looking at...thoughts? Don't be too harsh. lol

To answer your similar thread question:

690/7990 later vs 680/7970 now?

I am going to be building a gaming rig, the main thing I am trying to decide on is whether I should build my rig soon and limit my gaming for maybe another month, two months max and get something like a 690 or 7990 after those couple months.

Or should I just invest in a 680/7970 when I build my rig and add another after another month or so?

I have my 360 still so I cod just game on that until I get a higher end dual gpu card or I can just get a couple single GPUs within a month or so of each other. In the long run getting a dial gpu will probably save me a couple bucks but I'd have to wait longer to game on my new beauty.

So what would you do in my situation?
I would do as stated in here already. You are on 1080p so there is no reason for a dual GPU card or SLI/CrossfireX).

Last edited:
True. I also keep thinking about the matrix and just how big it is. I have been thinking more and more about getting a sound card lately and a triple slot card will just hinder that dream. I am able to run two GPUs (one now possibly one later) and a sound card with something like the MSI MPower, correct? If I don't use a triple slot card I mean.

Why would that prevent you from getting a sound card? If its more than PCIe 1x physical, use the bottom PCIe slot. If its 1x physical card, use the one above the top PCIe 16x slot.

Someone mentioned it might stop me from getting one so I wanted to ask you before I wrote one off completely. Though what you just said makes sense. I will look into sound cards and see what I can find. Thanks. I will also update the list in a few. I made some other changes so it needs to be changed a bit.

I just thought that being so big it would stop me from doing so though now I see what you mean. So thanks.

Really, there's a certain point where you're just buying for emotional satisfaction versus practicality, and I try to advise people to stay on the practical aide of the line.

If you're not using liquid nitrogen or dry ice, you don't need a MVE or a Matrix. It's quite that simple.

Really, there's a certain point where you're just buying for emotional satisfaction versus practicality, and I try to advise people to stay on the practical aide of the line.

If you're not using liquid nitrogen or dry ice, you don't need a MVE or a Matrix. It's quite that simple.
QFT. No need for a 'normal' user to get a Matrix or a Lightning unless you plan on doing some extreme overclocking. :thup:

But if the OP knows this and still wants to buy it...that is his choice.

Thanks for your input guys, i know I don't NEED a matrix, but I kind of want one. I also just changed my OP because i had another idea, which i am sticking to, though I don't ask you to believe me at this point. =p

So I am planning on building a dual system in the AZZA Fusion 4000, just need some input on the parts i chose for the top system. As in, should i change any of them or will they do fine?

Last edited:
Ok so after doing a little more research and wondering how in the world I was going to connect two systems to my monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers i think i found the answer in this KVM switch. IOGEAR GCS1782G, seems to have everything I need. Any thoughts on this? I know it's a little pricey but it seems perfect for this build.

Back