• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally Going Cold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice setup. I'll hopefully be doing this soon enough with a new set of mushkins and my f1ee. Did you put the sticky side down or up for the frost king? Are you going to use any grease/vaseline on the board/socket? And my final question is does everyone else have as much of a ****** time getting the tinfoil off the insulation or is it just me?

In order - Sticky side down, stacked on top of each other sticky-to-non-sticky.

Not planning on using grease. Ross is the one I saw first posting about this method and he does not use anything in the socket if he's above -100°C (or maybe -150, I can't recall...either way, colder than DICE). I'm following his lead and hoping for the best.

Lastly, If you use a hair dryer (or heat gun, but watch the whole metal-transferring-heat-burning-your-hands thing), it will come right off. :)

In order - Sticky side down, stacked on top of each other sticky-to-non-sticky.

Not planning on using grease. Ross is the one I saw first posting about this method and he does not use anything in the socket if he's above -100°C (or maybe -150, I can't recall...either way, colder than DICE). I'm following his lead and hoping for the best.

Lastly, If you use a hair dryer (or heat gun, but watch the whole metal-transferring-heat-burning-your-hands thing), it will come right off. :)

If you don't mind I'll watch you go first haha. In all seriousness though this is the way I'd like to insulate my setup so I'm hoping all goes well. But god my first run I was peeling the tinfoil off. I knew there had to be a better way.

Fresh copy of windows installed, updated and ready to bench. Insulation installed and pot cranked down.

Below the neoprene is the insulation you already saw plus two layers of folded over shop towel. There is a bit o' shop towel stuffed in the RAM slot just in case as well. Open to any suggestions where I missed anything.

Still need to wrap the pot with paper towels...any other suggestions?

pot-insulated.jpg

D-Day = Wednesday, November 3rd, ~8:30-9PM EST

Get a sticker that says "Giraffe pot shows no mercy"

giraffe-4.jpg

Hahaha...yea, I need to trim some of that insulation off the top. It's tall enough already. :p

Nice lookin' pot. Would it be more heat transfer efficient if you had thick pins going up into the slurry/LN2 instead of drilled holes or is the TIM the limiting factor here?

Subtractive milling makes pins a difficult proposition. ;)

Very nice Jeremy.....that pot is SO HUGE with the extension :D

Looking forward to your show (I'll be there if possible) :thup:

I shall call it, giraffe pot. :D

Get a sticker that says "Giraffe pot shows no mercy"

giraffe-4.jpg

Make sure you have a ladder handy for pot filling...

+1

Not sure the pot is tall enough.

In case you missed it, the pot is very tall. :rofl:

LOL, you guys are hilarious.

I would leave the insulation higher. I have my PC stuff in a humid basement, so frost buildup along the top ring occurs. If I could redo my insulation, I'd leave it higher than the pot.

lol@ ''higher than the pot''

^^ had to mention it before someone else does :p

Hah...at this rate I'm going to have to tape two chopsticks together just to get to the slurry and stir it!

DICE. Can't afford LN2 here, it's a ridiculous $6/L at Airgas. Plus no dewar. Maybe some day down the road I'll find a cheaper supplier and magically come up with a
30L dewar. Until then, DICE is a ton of fun and not a disappointment in the least!

Yeah same here. I hear a ton of guys getting LN2 for $2/L or less and I'm like WTF. So don't feel bad. It's hard enough finding DICE here, I have to drive 20 minutes to get it. Thats why I picked up an SS phase unit, far easier. Not quite as good of results though especially with the quads and hex cores. I had a 1055t that I could get to 4.2ghz on good air cooling, that I got to 4.5ghz on the phase-

SPI1055t45ghz.jpg

Probably could have gotten to 4.8ghz or so on DICE with a little more voltage too. The 1090T's clock much better. Plus unlocked multi is sooo much easier.

But I love the phase for the I3's and I5's. An I3 that does 5.6ghz on DICE will do 5.4ghz on the phase. Not bad.

But Bravo on 5.5ghz, thats sweet!

Last edited:
Wow, completely missed that post. Those are excellent clocks on a 1055. 322 ref clock is impressive, nice work! :thup:

Question for anyone that happens to still read this thread - when I installed the pot on last night, the plastic hold-down bracket appears to have developed a couple small cracks on one side that separate when pressure is put on the pot.

How does super glue hold up under these temperatures? It's all insulated and ready to go now, but for the future, I was wondering if I could fill those with super glue and whether it would hold.

Thanks!

I think I'd use epoxy over superglue, but just about anything will get brittle as it gets colder, so I wouldn't be surprised if it broke again without structural reinforcement.

I've used this stuff to temporarily repair a cracked plastic car radiator. It held for over a week under extreme conditions until I could get a new radiator. You might also consider reinforcing it with screen mesh or fiberglass cloth.

jbweld_lrg.jpg

Back