• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FINALLY got linux installed! having major driver issues :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eddyg519

Hey guys finally got xubuntu installed on my main rig here im trying to get do two things with this machine

1. Folding
2. Playing counterstrike 1.6 EDIT: managed to get this downloading lol)

my issue is I try to install the new drivers via command (linux newb using guides online) and when I restart the machine I get an error message "probe fatal crash". I basically have to reinstall the OS

I have a GTX 970 and I would REALLY love some super basic instructions on how to update the drivers and install the CPU& GPU clients with viewer. I had the CPU client installed fine but I had issues "adding a gpu" but I figure its because I dont have nvidia drivers for the card so its basically not registering?

I'll deal with the cs 1.6 later lol

thanks in advance!

Eddy

EDIT

Managed to get the driver installed myself. I installed F@H with client control. Its folding on the CPU. Im trying to add my video card with slots but it doesnt take? nothing happens? any suggestions?

EDIT TWO

Getting no available GPUs when trying to add gpus using slots. Ill fold on the CPU only tonight up at 330am to build powerlines ugh

Last edited:
I think I used the sudo nautilus which allowed me the proper permission. It took me a couple of tries though and I don't know why.

you type sudo nautilus, press enter to run the command, it opens a window and you copy and move the gpu.txt file through that window.

thanks for the responses guys i was able to add the file to var/lib/fahclient I stopped the program and restarted it then I tried to add a slot GPU -1.... no gpu found. Tried add slot GPU 0... also same no gpu found. in the Xserver settings for nvidia everything is listed so i know the drivers working. Am I adding this GPU the wrong way? Thats how I recall doing it in windows lol.

thanks

EDIT:

Did a quick restart and tried again.... IT WORKED!! wooo Lets see how much this PPD jumps. Thanks for the pointers fellas.

EDIT 2

300K PPD!!!!!

Last edited:
don't thank me, thank hayesK for the hand holding he has given us all.

- - - Updated - - -

by the by, what distro did you settle on and why?

xubuntu.... i tried different version of ubuntu and i got errors. its weird i know the only difference is the interface lol. tried opensuse and also lubuntu (light) no luck.. lol im happy with it trying to customize it now. what do you guys use for fan control? xserver says mine is only spinning at 50-60% Id like to let it rock out at 100%

enable coolbits in the xorg.conf and you will be able to adjust the overclock and fan with nvidia-settings. see earlier posts for details.

thamks HayesK worked great!!!

Everythings working flawless im excited to get some more numbers crunched. My LAST (lol) question is this

I have this 4X PCIE board
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8176/gigabyte-z97xsoc-force-review

Has anyone ran 2,3 or even 4 Cards before? Given I have enough PSW and ram (16gb currently) these are only pcie 8x slots would that really make a big difference for folding only?

thanks in advance

eddy

what pcie you use will not matter at all.
multi gpu will work fine, don't bother using sli or crossfire, don't even install the bridges.

I only have pcie2, but have noticed about 5-10% ppd loss on GTX970 running in an X4 slot. Suspect impact will be greater on faster cards. No issues with the slower GTX750Ti and GTX660Ti/670 cards. Might not be issue with the newer pcie3.

Heat is already issue with 2 cards mounted on a motherboard. Likely need water or spread the cards out with riser cables.

Looks like enough ram to meet the new 2GB min system ram for core x21. I upgraded all my 2x gpu host to 8GB earlier this year.

Make sure there are enough free CPU core/threads to feed the extra GPUs. Currently one cpu core/thread per GPU, but there have been some discussions about possibly using a second cpu core/thread. Although CPU speed has not been considered a GPU bottleneck, I recall seeing a post earlier this year suggesting 3GHz to avoid limiting the faster GPUs.

yes, for pcie-v2, the slot is x16 length, but only x4 speed, GTX970 ppd is 5-10% less than on x8 speed slot. Currently my cards are all in pairs, but been looking at moving some around so that all 970 are in x16 slots and 750Ti are in the x4 or x8 slots.

Back