• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Finally jumping in... HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drathozark

Registered
Let me preface all of this by saying I have no hands-on experience with anything other than basic BIOS overclocking and air-only cooling.

Now that my untested status is in the open.. I want to switch my gaming/common use PC over to the water cooling part of the world. I did originally build the system myself and I built it with a mind towards extra space and options so that one day I could get here.

ANTEC 1200
-Asus Rampage II Extreme
--Intel i7 920
--EVGA Nvidia GTX 260 (Hoping to get the newer 560ti)
--12Gb RAM (1600 speed)

I don't have a heat problem at this point.. But more of a heat concern. I'd like to take the processor up to at least a 3.6-3.8 range, and the newer card would raise the interior heat as well.

I've done some research and read a bunch of guides, the OC beginner's guide included. From that, I've attempted to compile a 2-block loop, the CPU and GPU (full cover). I haven't done any price-shopping yet, I just used FrozenCPU because they seemed to have the largest inventory.

-------------------​

This is what I've got...

Pump/Reservoir:
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir / Pump Combo - D5 Vario Included

Radiator:
EK CoolStream 240 XT Series Liquid Cooling Radiator (EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240))

CPU Block:
Heatkiller Rev 3.0 Sockets 1366/2011 CPU Liquid Cooling Block - (14015)

GPU Block:
Heatkiller GPU-X³ GTX 560 -Hole Edition- nVidia GTX 560 Reference Design Full Coverage Water Block (15508)

Tubing:
Danger Den DreamFlex Value Pack - Tubing / Clamps / Tube Cutter ( 1/2"ID x 3/4"OD ) - UV Blue

-------------------​

I have no idea whether or not any of this will blow up on me, or if it'll even do what I want. I picked these with the mind of having a high-flow loop with less restrictive blocks (I think I've got that right...) because, as I understand it, this will give me decent temps without forcing a two-pump setup on me.

Please, rip it apart and tell me if I've sinned against the gods of water cooling. :chair:

Here is an interesting thread on water-cooling in the Antec 1200
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630791

Looking at your parts list, the item that jumps out at me is wanting to cool an OC 920 and VGA card with a 120.2 radiator. You may need fast (loud) fans or have to limit the OC. I would try to get more radiator to total at least 120.3 but that is just my opinion.

Here is a good water cooling FAQ: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714000

Here is Conumdrum's guide on delta T to work out the heat load and cooling math.

Conumdrum's comprehensive water-cooling links to water-cooling goodness are in my signature. Good luck. :)

Looking at your parts list, the item that jumps out at me is wanting to cool an OC 920 and VGA card with a 120.2 radiator. You may need fast (loud) fans or have to limit the OC. I would try to get more radiator to total at least 120.3 but that is just my opinion.

I had noted that, and since I put this together I did do a bit more reading and realized quite how much heat the i7's put out. My concern with fitting more radiator is the modding of the case itself. I'd like to keep at least one of the drive-bays assembled behind a fan because I was planning on having that front mounted two-5.25" pump/reservoir right below my disc tray, thus leaving my two 1TB magnetic and one SSD still having air blown over them.

My question then becomes.. Does it make sense to have two internal 120.2 radiators at either end of the case but with only the one pump? I've got two 120mm Antec Tricool fans blowing on high (can't for the life of me find out what RPM) at the back pulling out, and three of the same pulling in at the front. In addition, I've got the 200mm Bigboy fan on top.

I'm not too concerned about noise from fans since I only game with a headset on or the speakers up loud enough anyways.

I'd like to get this done properly, so if that means adding more radiator.. I am open to the idea.

My question then becomes.. Does it make sense to have two internal 120.2 radiators at either end of the case but with only the one pump? I've got two 120mm Antec Tricool fans blowing on high (can't for the life of me find out what RPM) at the back pulling out, and three of the same pulling in at the front. In addition, I've got the 200mm Bigboy fan on top.

I'm not too concerned about noise from fans since I only game with a headset on or the speakers up loud enough anyways.

Two internal 120.2 radiators meaning 120.4 total? That would be much better than one 120.2 radiator. You would have easier heat management.

The one pump will be fine. You may want to look at an mcp 35x if you wish the PWM control. Swiftech just came out with a Dual Bay res that features the 35x (see their website). But both the 35x & 655/D5 vario are good pumps.

Antec Tri-cool fans on high are 2000 rpm (at least mine are). They can be noisy at max. Scythe Gentle-Typhoon AP15 1850 rpm in push are considered the premier medium speed radiator fan (because of the most air-flow per noise). Here is good information on fans from bluezero5.

Take your time, keep reading, and ask questions. It's a fun hobby. :)

Last edited:
Alright, so I'll need to get creative with extra radiator placement..

Does anyone have thoughts/ideas on whether or not that pump-reservoir combo could/should be swapped for something else? I'd like to do this frugally, but I know I'm spending at least $400.

Also, on the radiator and actual blocks.. Is there anything else I should look at for them? I did look for the EK Supreme HF block for my CPU but couldn't find one.

And lastly, I did read that Delta-T post you linked. From that and the GPU wattage usage charts I can find, I'm looking at cooling approximately 350-400W of heat on a two block loop. I think..

Also, on the radiator and actual blocks.. Is there anything else I should look at for them? I did look for the EK Supreme HF block for my CPU but couldn't find one.

And lastly, I did read that Delta-T post you linked. From that and the GPU wattage usage charts I can find, I'm looking at cooling approximately 350-400W of heat on a two block loop. I think..

On the radiators, you may find it easier to fit if they are slim or around 35 mm rather than the thick ones > 50 mm. Depends on the case and internal versus external mounting. Swiftech XP, XSPC EX, or Alphacool ST30 are good thin rads tested by Martinm210 or Bundymania.

EK no longer makes the EK Supreme HF. They instead make the Supremacy. There are good CPU blocks by XSPC, Swiftech and others as well. Martin and Skinnee tested many.

I agree with you on your total heat load of 350 to 400 Watts for overclocked CPU (I used a PSU calculator to get about 230 W) and 170 tdp VGA card http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_Series. You won't have to water-cool 400 Watts since much escapes to air. But it is a good number to keep in mind when planning cooling options.

Please take your time. Others will be by. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Back