• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally new rev 360s /w HDMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had zero issues with my 360 that I bought in December of 06. Even during the California Summer where my room without a/c can get to 90-90F, it just keeps chugging along, although it does dump out quite a bit of heat and the fans do crank up.

I really don't understand MS and their strategy involving revisions of the 360, I certainly dont understand the whole Elite thing.

For me, a person who has put off buying a 360 since last year, I just refuse to buy the damn thing until they come with the 65nm.

deception`` said:
The funny thing about your comment is that there is absolutely zero proof that a die shrink will in fact solve the issues surrounding the RROD. I have a hard time believing that 65nm is going to be some sort of magical panacea.

deception``

It sure was for Intel... (Sorry. No fancy caps and punctuation this time. :beer: )

rainless said:
It sure was for Intel... (Sorry. No fancy caps and punctuation this time. :beer: )

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic because Prescotts were so damn hot even with a die shrink or taking about another die shrink were they were able to reduce heat :shrug:

Either way a die shrink doesn't = less heat in every case.

OC Noob said:
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic because Prescotts were so damn hot even with a die shrink or taking about another die shrink were they were able to reduce heat :shrug:

BINGO. If anything, Intel's move to 65nm caused more problems than it solved.

deception``

funnyperson1 said:
It isn't 65nm that fixed/will fix the overheating problem, its better cooling.

Here is the fix:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/13/microsoft-beefs-up-xbox-360-cooling-freaking-finally/

The cooling system on the original 360s was inadequate, and now its a lot better, there shouldn't be problems with these newer units. I could have told MS that you can't stick a ribbed peice of aluminum on an X1900 and expect it not to die.

With a propriatary console MS can now redesign things to be less costly to produce. I wonder if they have any control over the ATI chip and if it will eventually be refined to suck up less juice, put out less heat, etc...

Sony has done it with the PS1 and PS2 as far as redesigning, making things smaller and producing them at lower costs. I know MS will be doing it with the 360, but like I said, how much control do they have over the ATI chip and will newer revisions be designed to reduce the cooling needs to reduce production costs and size restrictions?

I think MS has TOTAL control over it. It is my understanding that they had ATI DESIGN the chip and then employed the lowest bidding company to fabricate the chip for MS using ATI's design.

Yea I believe that MS does have total control over the chip and its design, they learned quickly after having Intel and Nvidia screw them with Xbox1.

I don't think there is much they can do to make the design use less power though without altering functionality. I believe Sony mostly used technology shrinks and advances to make their mini consoles.

OC Noob said:

Who said anything about Prescotts? Nobody talks about Prescotts anymore. Why is it whenever I mention Intel everybody wants to go back like TEN YEARS. "Well back in the Pentium III era..."

rainless said:
Who said anything about Prescotts? Nobody talks about Prescotts anymore. Why is it whenever I mention Intel everybody wants to go back like TEN YEARS. "Well back in the Pentium III era..."

His point was relevant in that die shrinks don't automatically fix everything. The Prescott [which was not TEN YEARS ago] was a clear example of a die shrink actually causing more complications [such as excessive heat].

deception``

deception`` said:
His point was relevant in that die shrinks don't automatically fix everything. The Prescott [which was not TEN YEARS ago] was a clear example of a die shrink actually causing more complications [such as excessive heat].

deception``

Alright so it was EIGHT years ago. We'll split the difference then round up.

Anyhow... What about the C2D that JUST F'N CAME OUT last year? There the die shrink *did* radically reduce temperatures. So, on the flip side of your argument, it's not fair to say that I die shrink "can't" lower temps.

(Caps and fancy punctuation by Team Rainless.)

rainless said:

Anyhow... What about the C2D that JUST F'N CAME OUT last year? There the die shrink *did* radically reduce temperatures. So, on the flip side of your argument, it's not fair to say that I die shrink "can't" lower temps.

If you read my previous posts, you'll find that I never said that die shrinks are a bad thing. All I said is that die shrinks don't automatically guarantee better results. The Prescott is clearly a valid example as is the C2D to the contrary.

To date, none of us really know what is the cause of the RROD. We might say the CPU, the GPU, the X-Clamp, etc, but nobody really knows beyond a shadow of a doubt. As such, it's a little silly that some people assume that moving to 65nm is going to fix everything when there is actually no proof whatsoever.

decpeption``

rainless said:

I know you're exaggerating, but two years ago isn't that long ago. Core2Duo isn't a fair comparison because the architecture is completely different. There aren't any 90nm Core2Duos that I know of to compare to, and the Banias CPUs that are the closest 90nm relatives weren't exactly firepits.

The Cedar Mills and Smithfields were helped by the move to 65nm, but not by much. Not to mention AMD's problems with 65nm and current leakage.

Die shrinks do usually help, but they are not the panacea most make them out to be.

funnyperson1 said:
I know you're exaggerating, but two years ago isn't that long ago. Core2Duo isn't a fair comparison because the architecture is completely different. There aren't any 90nm Core2Duos that I know of to compare to, and the Banias CPUs that are the closest 90nm relatives weren't exactly firepits.

The Cedar Mills and Smithfields were helped by the move to 65nm, but not by much. Not to mention AMD's problems with 65nm and current leakage.

Die shrinks do usually help, but they are not the panacea most make them out to be.

That much I can agree with. Though, isn't what we're talking about exactly a move from 90nm to 65nm? Not saying it will help... but it's just sort of silly for people to go back... even two years... when we're actually talking about moving forward.

rainless said:
That much I can agree with. Though, isn't what we're talking about exactly a move from 90nm to 65nm? Not saying it will help... but it's just sort of silly for people to go back... even two years... when we're actually talking about moving forward.

You are a writer and are good at quotes. Wasn't there something said like, "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" or something of the sort. :beer:

OC Noob said:
You are a writer and are good at quotes. Wasn't there something said like, "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" or something of the sort. :beer:

Yeah. And, if I remember right, the dude that wrote that lost.

Back