• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finished modding my 9600 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cetoole

As some of you have seen earlier, I added a fdd power connector to my 9600 pro, and just now, I finished doing vmem and vgpu mods to it, and I didn't kill my card. I have not tested them yet, but alone, the fdd connector does nothing for me. I also added some OCZ BGA ram sinks to the card. The mods are kind of messy, I was using wire from an old IDE cable and kept melting the insulation.
9600modded.jpg

How high can you get with those mods?

My card is stock except for the gf2 mx400 heatsink I epoxied on and attached a 40mm fan to it, I can hit 450/660 without ram sinks.

I hav enot tested, and I have the VR still at max, 10 kohm, but I was able to get the core from 475 to 489. Havn't tested it much yet, the mem speed is still unknown.

Well done mods man, the IDE cable wire really is the best way to do mods functionally clean :). Add hot glue, so your wires don't pull free when moving the card in and out of your machine. What kind of cooling to do you have on there?

At this point you want to indulge ~$15 and fabricate yourself a nice GPU heatsink out of a copper Socket A Heatsink, with a good 60/80mm fan. A good side panel fan will also help your core and memory overclocks, if you do not already have one. The two fans (GPU heatsink 60-80mm fan, and a side panel 80-120mm fan) working in tandem are enough that you will be able to run them near silently, while still seeing temperature gains.

cetool

I hav enot tested, and I have the VR still at max, 10 kohm, but I was able to get the core from 475 to 489. Havn't tested it much yet, the mem speed is still unknown.

That's a good gain :). Now you want to play with the voltage a bit more (raise it), and see if your card gets more stable overclock gains with even higher overvolts. If it runs stable, it is likely safe.

Your card is in the "Big Red Beast" category now, good work! :tup:

I actually have some circuit sealer on the solder joings, but that hot glue is a good idea. I am still playing with the idea of water on the GPU, either a Fusion HL or Maze4 with the new top, I have a VGA Silencer Rev. 3, but for size reasons, I am currently running stock cooling. As I am about to finish my water, maybeI should take my SP-97 with a Tornado and stick that on? :burn: :p

Sharp looking. If I ever do one of these mods to mine I will definitely want it to look like yours. It looks almost like it was intended to ship like that, to me at least ;).

i dont know it might be my screen. "crap *** screens @ work" but on the top left side coming for the core. does it not look burnt? or brown from to much heat???

It is not burnt on visual examination, but I see what you mean, probably what you are seeing is the solder not reflecting as much as the legs without, and I have some circuit sealer on them which will further reduce reflection. The insulation got burned a little on the wires because of the heat, but it is not important.

i was just wonding.. lol... hey as long as it works then, hey what the hell.

where did u find out how to volt mod the 9600 pro. coz if that works i think i might try it out. altho my best oc on my card was 500/336 on stock cooling and with no ram sinks.

neo

Back