• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FireCuda 520 disappointing performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sgt panties

Hey, I have a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5-WIFI MB and I just bought a 1TB Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD and moved my system to it. This is my only drive now. I ran the AS SSD disk benchmark and got very poor performance. For example my sequential read number was only 723 MB/s. I believe this is because my M.2 slot is PCIe 2.0 x2 which has only 10 Gb/s max bandwidth.

I see some very cheap adapters out there on Amazon that would seem to promise to deliver 32 Gb/s bandwidth, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFDVXVJ

Questions: Will this work without gotchas? Is there an even better solution? (I would hate to part with this X99 MB just now. It otherwise seems to satisfy my needs.)

extra details:
Windows 10 Pro
UEFI only
AHCI on
trim enabled
CSM off

(PS. There seems to be NO settings in my BIOS that would tailor my M.2 slots.)

Those will work fine: it is a direct pass through with no electronics. Basically, it is just changing the physical connection.

I'd get one that is a full add-in-card for stability reasons, rather than one which hangs off the PCIe slot. Less chance of it coming loose or getting bumped out of place.

Thanks for the help thideras. I'm not the enthusiast that most here are, but it's good to know I can tap an expert every now and then.

Just to follow up, I did end up getting aforementioned adapter card, and now AS SSD reports 2780 MB/s, which is not all that this SSD is capable of, but it's 4x better than my initial speed, and probably the best that can be expected from my X99 chipset. Cheers.

Back