• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox won't download files on Windows 10.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

So I recently noticed, as in a few days ago, that Firefox was refusing to download files. Chrome downloads files just fine, as does Edge, and I even downloaded Opera to test that as well. No issues there either. I've tried reinstalling, checking my firewall settings both in Windows and by logging into my router, but nothing seems to be blocking Firefox specifically. A reinstall did nothing to remedy this issue, as files still would not download, even before I loaded all of my bookmarks and such back into the browser. Avast and Windows Defender don't show any suspicious activity, but of course it could be something they're not catching.

Anyone else encountered this issue? Or have some suggestions as to what it could be caused by?

I'm thinking upgrading to 1903 will fix the issues. There seems to be tighter sync compatibility windows between OS and apps than there has been with earlier versions of Windows. And feeding into that is the frequent (2x annually) major feature updates that Windows 10 gets. It's like a Service Pack every 6 months.

Last edited:
No dice on the 1903 update. At this point, I'm just lost. Don't really want to move back to Chrome, but I don't think I have a choice. Gonna try one last complete wipe of any traces of the browser from my drive then give it another spin.

You could also try Waterfox. I always use the portable version so that it is not dependent on the OS or any installation issues. Zero telemetry, supports older plugins, works and acts like FF but isn't. Or if you're stuck on FF, a simple downloader like uGet. Also portable.

The reinstall worked. Not sure what the issue was but I've learned to not question the will of the PC Gods...

Glad to hear a reinstall worked... and it wasn't Windows that seemed to have caused it.

Premature W10 hate is premature. :rofl:

Glad to hear a reinstall worked... and it wasn't Windows that seemed to have caused it.

Premature W10 hate is premature. :rofl:

I'd already tried a reinstall on 1809, so I'm not entirely convinced it wasn't Windows. But maybe I'm just looking for reasons to be nitpicky. I don't hate Windows 10, tbh. There are a lot of convenient features, and I actually find a lot of things more user friendly. :)

The reinstall worked. Not sure what the issue was but I've learned to not question the will of the PC Gods...

That is the truth. They missed the boat with hardware completely with the advent of android and have always had a browser that was very closely tied to it's operation. I think with handhelds they are still trying to figure out where their place is considering windows10 enterprise IOT worked with the pi3 but is now a hack job at best. Windows 10 is on it's face a T/S interface, with it's own store now and cortana no less invasive than is google. A desktop should just plain work by now and they just don't get it and probably never will.

Last edited:
Back