• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewall Selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
johnz said:
I've had 0 problems with Vistas firewall. It's more configurable than almost any firewall I've used. XPs firewall works fine. It doesn't have outbound blocking afik, but that's not necessary if you take care of your machine.

You don't think outbound protection is necessary? You must not care if software dials home for whatever reason they want. No outbound protection allows software to dial home so they can custom tailor you for spam and keep track of what your doing and what your looking at. Outbound protection is a good thing to have and it has zero drawbacks since you decide what leaves your computer rather than letting them decide for you what's best. :rolleyes:

Silversinksam said:
You don't think outbound protection is necessary? You must not care if software dials home for whatever reason they want. No outbound protection allows software to dial home so they can custom tailor you for spam and keep track of what your doing and what your looking at. Outbound protection is a good thing to have and it has zero drawbacks since you decide what leaves your computer rather than letting them decide for you what's best. :rolleyes:

I don't know what kind of software you run, but I don't download spyware. If you're talking about MS apps, and other programs that check for updates, then who cares. If you think MS is spying on you, then I don't know what to tell you. I know they couldn't give a rats *** about whats on my computer, excepting for the checks for piracy that are clearly layed out in the EULA.

I use a router, windows firewall, and up to date anti virus. I don't get virus' or spyware, if you do then you need to examine your computing habits. Technology is never a substitute for common sense, and good practice.

johnz said:
I don't know what kind of software you run, but I don't download spyware. If you're talking about MS apps, and other programs that check for updates, then who cares. If you think MS is spying on you, then I don't know what to tell you. I know they couldn't give a rats *** about whats on my computer, excepting for the checks for piracy that are clearly layed out in the EULA.

I use a router, windows firewall, and up to date anti virus. I don't get virus' or spyware, if you do then you need to examine your computing habits. Technology is never a substitute for common sense, and good practice.

I think you are missing the point being made. Many programs that are purchased legally, still install software that will automatically connect to a network once run. Updating the software could be one reason, but most often its for promotional purposes. This can cause any number of problems, like initiated transfers without user input. My personal petpeeve.

Here's an interesting article regarding outbound packet filtering and Vista, which is disabled by default...

Configure Windows Firewall to support outbound packet filtering
http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid45_gci1247138,00.html
When Windows Vista was released, Microsoft proudly proclaimed that Windows Firewall now has the ability to filter outbound traffic. What Microsoft's marketing team neglected to mention, though, is that outbound packet filtering is disabled by default in Windows Vista. It also failed to mention that you cannot enable outbound filtering through the Windows Security Center, which is the mechanism that most people use for configuring Windows Firewall. Unless you know how to manually reconfigure Windows Firewall, you are not receiving any more protection than was provided by the Windows XP firewall.

redduc900 said:
Here's an interesting article regarding outbound packet filtering and Vista, which is disabled by default...

Configure Windows Firewall to support outbound packet filtering
http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid45_gci1247138,00.html

The settings aren't quite as obscure as they make it sound. You can access the advanced functions by going to Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Then configure the firewall from there.

I'm sure they kept the standard controls simple to keep people from getting confused and screwing up their machines. I'd bet 60% of Windows users don't even know what a firewall is, and why it's a good idea to use one. The standard setting gives good protection, while requiring nothing else from the user. People with more advanced needs should be able to find the advanced configuration settings easily enough.

johnz said:
The settings aren't quite as obscure as they make it sound. You can access the advanced functions by going to Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Then configure the firewall from there.

I'm sure they kept the standard controls simple to keep people from getting confused and screwing up their machines. I'd bet 60% of Windows users don't even know what a firewall is, and why it's a good idea to use one. The standard setting gives good protection, while requiring nothing else from the user. People with more advanced needs should be able to find the advanced configuration settings easily enough.
This is true, although my point wasn't how to access the Windows Firewall With Advanced Security node by using the MMC, or from the Administrative Tools option in the Start menu... but to show that outbound packet filtering is disabled by default in Vista, and how to configure the firewall to support it... including how to configure outbound rules.

imposter said:
I highly suggest making a smoothwall box. i find all windows based firewalls to be annoying and cause to many problems.

he dont have a spare computer, that was the first questions asked to the OP.

imposter said:
I highly suggest making a smoothwall box. i find all windows based firewalls to be annoying and cause to many problems.

Agree. I have used ZoneAlarm (free) for a very long time, but after switching ISP due to a move, I kept having mysterious connection issues. I would be online in a game for long periods without issue, but after some random time any new connection (via IE or WinAmp, for example) would fail. Even when browsing, it would lose the ability to make a new connection to a new server at some point. It was highly annoying and although I traced it back to ZoneAlarm apparently prohibiting the outgoing traffic, I could not change its settings to fix it. The proper program permissions were given etc.

I had to get rid of ZoneAlarm (indeed solving all issues), but without outgoing traffic control you're much more limited in the use of the PC. You can manage though, as long as you know exactly what you are doing and do not install anything new/suspicious that you do not want to call home.

Back