• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Amd build need heatsink advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Notyadaddy

I'm doing a build of my first Amd chipset pc and I need to go with air cooling as I'm to poor to set up a water cooled rig any suggestions. This is what I've got so far

ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 FM2 AMD A85X-
XFX HD-677X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6770
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB

If you take the time to read the link you will see AMD and INTEL Units, just choose a unit click the follow the report to the end. AJ.

AM2,AM2+,AM3,AM3+,FM1,FM2, most 939 and some 754 AMD heatsinks interchange, the mounting locations are identical.

Intel mounting locations are entirely different. Many heatsinks come with brackets to mount to Intel and AMD systems, but they only work with the socket(s) they're designed for.

AM2,AM2+,AM3,AM3+,FM1,FM2, most 939 and some 754 AMD heatsinks interchange, the mounting locations are identical.

Intel mounting locations are entirely different. Many heatsinks come with brackets to mount to Intel and AMD systems, but they only work with the socket(s) they're designed for.
Thank you that's what I needed to know. I realize a Intel heatsink would not work I was just referring to the fact that a lot of 1155 heatsinks will also work on a 1156 cpu because I've only built Intel based computers

Ahh, yeah.
It's exactly like LGA1156 and LGA1155 from that standpoint.
AMD's just a lot more friendly than Intel as to which sockets are compatible.

Hate to say it, but if you're looking to do dual graphics with that APU, the 6770 won't, uh, do it. 6670 is the highest you can use for dual graphics with the Trinity chips. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ya your right if I was using only one gpu it would matter but because I'm going crossfire it doesn't

No you can't crossfire with the apu using a 6770 I got 2 of them. I couldn't find a 6670 that would run crossfire on the gpu so I just gave up and went with two 6770

Back