• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build hardware, Advice welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darth_Brodish

Registered
so this is going to be my first build! yay! but i was wondering if you guys could throw any and all advice my way.
the only real question i have as of now is how big a power supply I will need with what i have bought already; I kinda jumped the gun and started ordering stuff today, this is my budget build that is in the mail and should be here in a few days.

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1866
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch
AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition
Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB (got for 275$)
Sentey® GS-6050 Halcon II Gaming Case / Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Zalman CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 1155/1156/775 and AMD Socket FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2/940/939/754 CNPS5X PERFORMA

i was going to used all the case fans from my old computer a few years back and recycle the 500w power supply and throw the 500mb hard drive in there too.
please let me know anything you guys can offer, I was thinking of trying for a slight overclock when i set this up this weekend

and the dvd blueray drive i will recycle into it

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you did jump the gun a bit. First is that CPU cooler will never cut it going up against the FX8350. That board will work but is a bit underpowered TBH. You'll need some extra fans around the VRM to keep it cool. The Sabertooth R2 would have been a better choice. Definately get another PSU in the 700Watt range here's a good list to choose from http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Unless you render video or have software that needs it the 16Gb of memory is a bit much, you could've saved a bit of green there.

i just ordered a 725w power supply it was too late to cancel the fan though, I am so broke now lol
do you think that cpu fan will be okay for the first week? or should i just try to order one and live off of noodles for a week ?

If you're not planning on overclocking just use the stock heatsink.

Dont' get that Heatsink either. At minimum get the CM hyper 212 with an extra fan. http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...=1407432391&sr=1-1&keywords=cpu+fan+hyper+212

And Like many says you'll be OK with the stock heatsink just don't ry to push it.

well i will get one next week then i see how bad it is now ; i should have waited another week spent way too much to make it through the week

I would just leave it in the package and see if you can return it and save up for something like the thermaltake frio, noctua nh-d14 or the prolimatech megahalems, sometimes you can pick them up used for half the cost.

The 212 evo works great for some slight overclocking. Especially for the price. But before long you will want something else if you want to go higher. My setup right now works awesome but I want more overclock so I'm stuck till I get my custom loop like.

The noctua d14 and d15 are some of the best air coolers right now. And the noctua fans are great besides the color

i was trying really hard to keep the price down without sacrificing too much; i will find one next week i dont want to spend too much on one just something that'll work well ya know

Again if you're running stock the "stock" heatsink will suffice. If you plan on OCing it do not cheap out of something just because its within budget. You're better off saving and getting a quality heatsink.

well i will the the stock one, now again with the one i already bought, is that one better than the stock one that comes with ?

thanks man; i will defiantly hit you up first when i need to buy stuff in the future

That's not a good way to use forums, and it annoys people. You should make a post whenever you have a question and get a broad range of opinions from amateurs to pros to everyone in between. If you feel more comfortable with a certain person's advice that's fine, but don't PM them questions. That's not how forums work. JM2C.

And avoid Zalman heatsinks in the future. They're not much better than a piece of tinfoil and some glue.

Back