• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build hardware, Advice welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay so everything failed to startup somehow , I'm sending the board and box back .
Can you guys recommend a good motherboard and box combo off of Amazon I can buy later this week ?

Are you sure you hooked everything up properly? Were the front panel connections made? (power/reset/etc)?

Is the PSU plugged in? Is the PSU turned on? Is the CPU properly seated? Did you forget to use thermal paste on the CPU?

Lots of things to eliminate before you declare hardware dead. And you have to track down which specific hardware is dead too.

What do you mean by "Box" you want a "motherboard and box combo". All motherboards come in a box. There is no PC part called a box.

great news! i got it up and going! only have a few minor problems now; apperantly my copy of windows 8 is for upgrades only so i'm going to call them and attempt to get that fixed, my power supply is making a little noise (thats what i get for going cheap) and my hard drive is ****ty but works. so later this week i am going to order a solid state drive and probably a good power off that list you guys gave me XD
THANK YOU ALL for the advise i should have taken to begin with

Are you sure you hooked everything up properly? Were the front panel connections made? (power/reset/etc)?

Is the PSU plugged in? Is the PSU turned on? Is the CPU properly seated? Did you forget to use thermal paste on the CPU?

Lots of things to eliminate before you declare hardware dead. And you have to track down which specific hardware is dead too.

What do you mean by "Box" you want a "motherboard and box combo". All motherboards come in a box. There is no PC part called a box.

I tried it again running my old graphics card and it booted right up, then i put the drivers in on the r9 and i'm running it all with minor problems to sort out! thanks for the help

so what can you guys reccamend as a fast hard drive? windows rating put mine as really ****ty and slow (i got the cheap one lol )
would it be worth just getting a 500gb solid state and using the 1t as my backup for vids and stuff ? could you guys recommend me some coast efficient fast drives and which way i should go THANK YOU I going to order Thursday so no hurry

Get a high capacity crucial MX100. Any hard drive is going to be pretty slow, averaging 80-140MB/s. A decent SSD will get you over 500, plus almost no seek time, and lower power consumption. Get a large SSD.

Definitely get a quality power supply. YOu don't want to be rocking a cheap PSU. Its not smart.

Get a high capacity crucial MX100. Any hard drive is going to be pretty slow, averaging 80-140MB/s. A decent SSD will get you over 500, plus almost no seek time, and lower power consumption. Get a large SSD.

Definitely get a quality power supply. YOu don't want to be rocking a cheap PSU. Its not smart.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...&qid=1407760887&sr=1-5&keywords=crucial+MX100

this would be all i need with the 1t as backup for storing vids and such? will this cut game load times too because most of my stuff is from steam

You shoudn't have any issues at all with the G2 I linked.

hey guys i cant activate my windows 8 because its the upgrade disk and code; if i took the hard drive from my old rig and put it in the new one since it has the windows.old file and move it, would it then let me activate my 8?

hey just an update. I was an idiot with the os thing. Had to get a clean copy since I was using the upgrade windows 8.
as for the system I have the 8350 running cool at 4.5ghz thanks to all the information in this form. Going to play with it all some more this weekend see how far I can push it while keeping stable temps =)

Back