• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First BUILD!!! need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

H4L0Monster

currently have a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 with GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R sporting a Intel Pentium 4 3.8GHz. with 2gb DDR2 RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX and 500gb (Sata) i believe running on Windows 7 32bit

would it be easier to upgrade current MoBo with new CPU and RAM

OR

I have access to a Asus M4a79xtd Evo for $40 with a AMD Phenom II 3.0GHz that is quad core.
-needed with Asus, cooling fan for CPU, DDR3 RAM, transfer NVidia 7900 GTX, power supply, misc.

EXTREME Budget build. have $100 to start. and slow to come into more$$$$$

im looking to run Windows Movie Maker, Minecraft ( modded for Sky Factory {sorry Dont know minimum requirements}) as well as Open Broadcast with Twitch

Advice?

Last edited:
I would just save up for a current gen budget build , try and save to double your current budget and get a R3/b350/ddr4 system .
Reuse the gfx card for now , and the hdd .

or a used 2600k intel system .

I'm in need of a running rig pretty soon. it looks like i can get the Asus Board functional for about $200-$300 and possibly run the specs i need at least for a while to save for a second build.

The Phenom II X4 I guess won't exactly be a well performing machine. I had a X2 with 1 core unlocked and OC'd for a short period and it was pretty horrible. I would definitely be looking for a really cheap Q6600 combo, a 2500k or better could be outside your price range. CPU's are cheap, its a working MB that gets expensive to the point where getting new components is cheaper.

Scour the used sections here and the other big PC forums. I've seen some good FX deals with cpu\mb\ram for $100 range.

i just upgraded a system much like your own in hopes of allowing the owner time to save for a better modern rig. my advice is to check out ebay. you can probably find a used q6600 for 15-20 bucks that you can use with your current mb and you can add a couple gbs of memory for $10-$20. then save up $4-$500 for a decent upgrade.

q6600 will plug and play with your current mb (that p4 is just awful). the q6600 should give you a nice jump in performance.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0.Xintel+q6600.TRS0&_nkw=intel+q6600&_sacat=0

memory try to match up to your existing memory. if not try to match timings and voltage.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...X2gb+ddr2+800.TRS0&_nkw=2gb+ddr2+800&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Maxfly's right: don't throw money in prehistoric system, you'll regret it.

Save for some more time and build something from scratch. Within a few months, you'll be able to get an Haswell mobo/cpu/Ram combo for not far from peanuts. And those can still move some serious air! ;)

Ah yeah didn't even realize his 775 MB would take a Q6600. That would be perfect. Get 2x4GB sticks of ram. If you can squeeze a 60GB SSD in there somehow life should be pretty good. A Hyper 212 EVO and a decent OC at some point and your in even better shape.

Back