• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build, Which Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yanko693

As per the title, this is my first build. I need suggestions on what motherboard I should get. What I need:
-Below 200 USD
-Crossfire capable (both pcie at x16 not x8 x8 ?)
-Over Clockable
-AM3, will be used with a Phenom II X4 955BE
-Sata 6gb/s
-USB 3.0
-Support for future AMD processors (Phenom II X6 possible)
-Lucid Hydra Chip? I don't know if any boards are out with it yet, let alone in my price range.

-Thanks in advance, I am open to any suggestions you have.

-Ryan

as far as i can see neither of those have x16 on both PCIe slots.
perhaps I should just drop the money on THIS

Looks like they both do to me.

The realistic loss from 8x is on the order of 1-2%, that's tested with 5870 gpus.

All depend on memory, if you go with GPU higher than 1gb, go with x16... No diff between a 5870 1gb at x16 or x8

My UD5 is awesome, i got a bad one tho, im RMA it

as far as i can see neither of those have x16 on both PCIe slots.
perhaps I should just drop the money on THIS
As far as I know all 790FX and 890FX boards have PCIe 2.0 2x16-bit - but since some "low-end" manufacturers are also building those boards I can't guarantee it. I am sure both the ASUS and Gigabyte posted above have 2x16-bit.

You're more than welcome to get the Crosshair IV, it's an excellent board, but you really don't need it just to get 2x-16-bit PCIe ... :)

Alright thanks everyone. I'll deffinetly be taking your suggestions into consideration.

The realistic loss from 8x is on the order of 1-2%, that's tested with 5870 gpus.

yeah from what i read, there is almost no difference at single monitor high resolutions. If you plan to use eyefinity, then there will be minimal difference, like 1-5 fps.

Thanks everyone. Once I get close to finishing I'll put a thread up. :comp:

Definately do! As we all know no matter how much you plan, things never go QUITE as expected a lot of the time, and we like to see numbers :cool:

Back