• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First custom loop: please have a look and tell me what you think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paracelsus

Registered
I'm hoping to have a new build ready by the end of the year and this time I've persuaded myself to finally go with water cooling. I considered an AIO for a while, but finally thought "f#ck it, I'll have myself a custom loop". I'm fairly sure I've picked out some decent parts, but it would be nice to have the experts look it over before I go ahead and order everything.

To be honest I've not yet settled on what system to build, as I'm notoriously crap at making decisions. 8700K/Z370 would be the sensible choice, while both X299 and X399 would be significantly cooler, if a bit overkill for my use. hence I'm buying everything else before settling on the CPU & motherboard, quite possibly by tossing a dice....

Other than that, here's what I'm thinking:

CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm
Radiator: HW Labs Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ 420 MP
Fans: Thermalright TY-14
Reservoir: Watercool Heatkiller Tube 200
Pump: D5 Vario
Tubing: EK ZMT or Tygon Norprene
Coolant: Mayhems XT-1 Nuke
Fittings: Compression? Barbs?

It's all going into a Lian-Li D8000, so space is plentiful. The PSU is a Corsair RM1000X and there are 6 intake fans which also cool hard drives; 3 Corsair SP120s on either side towards the front. The rad will be mounted vertically in the rear, ports down, with the fans mounted to push/exhaust. The reservoir will be mounted onto the fans, with the fill port as the highest point of the loop, while draining will be done via a valve on the bottom of the radiator. Fan speed will be manually controlled, not PWM, and the D5 will be a Vario model, as listed, so again no PWM.

I plan to use 3 quick disconnects (likely Alphacool Eiszapfen) so that reservoir, water block and radiator can all be easily separated out and the loop extended to include a GPU at a later date (when Volta arrives).

Given that I want to use ZMT or Norprene tubing, should I use compression or barb fittings? I know either should work, but is one better than the other for these tubes? Also, I'm going with ZMT/Norprene and Mayhems XT-1 Nuke because I want to have to bleed and rinse the thing as infrequently as possible. The tubing should last for the life of the system and XT-1 Nuke can stay in situ for upto 5 years according to Mayhems.

Do I need to include temp and flow sensors? Have I forgotten/overlooked something?

Well, that all I can think of. I'd greatly appreciate some input/reassurance/idea/suggestions before I go ahead and click that "Buy" button.

- P

Last edited:
Looks good. COmpressions for me ;)

PSU is WAAAAAYYYYY overkill!

Z270 is a good choice IMO, clocks like mad (5GHz+), and if you de-lid, with a custom loop, you can expect +200MHz.

For the coolant: distiiled water + biocide (heck, even a touch of car coolant in the distilled water does the job).

Thanks for replying mate.

The PSU is overkill, but that's by design. I'm aiming for minimal noise and by never loading the PSU much above 50% it'll never be audible.

Even a 650W would stay in the 50% range most of the time : you are spending hundredsin something that doesn' have any value add:

I have a 750W PSU (rig in sig), with a 5820k highly overclocked (200W+ on load), a 1080 [email protected] (300W+ on load), and the PSU fan rarely spin.

Best efficiency is usually between 50 and 70%.

Telling me what PSU I need or don't need is perhaps just a little premature given that you have absolutely no clue what my system will consist of other than the basics. Having built computers since the late eighties I also think I'm relatively able to figure the power requirements out for myself.

Additionally, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic in question.

OK

Edit: unless you want to use 3 390X OC'ed benching in LN2, you'll never need 1000W.

Not sure you really can figure out what you need. Your money though, not mine!

And I think I ansewered your topic questions already, no? Sorry, temp and flow sensors? no. If it doesn't flow, it shuts down because of high temps.

Educate yourself : we have quite a few stickies in the watercooling sections. Maybe after you spend a few hours reading, other members than me will be likely to answer your basic questions...

Edit 2: if yo are fairly sure of your choices, have a leap of faith! It's worth living dangerously... ANd BTW, avoid swearing, there is a filter in the forum, we don't expect people to bypass it...

Last edited:
Anyone else want to chime in? Preferably someone who doesn't want to tell me what my PSU requirements are based on absolutely ****-all.

Anyone else want to chime in? Preferably someone who doesn't want to tell me what my PSU requirements are based on absolutely ****-all.

First of all the information given to you by Tir is valid. Second of all there's no need to come out like that. Third with the Z370/X299 system, a quality 650/750 watt power supply (like the one I have in my sig), is plenty for ANY given system aside from triple SLI 1080 Ti's.

Best if you slow your roll. We don't take kindly to behavior or language that is offensive or disrespectful. Especially to someone who is only helping you out.

Actually, it is not valid in the least. I've not listed any of the other components which will make up the system, such as my 16 hard drives, 2 HBAs and various other things. Given his utter lack of information, other than that relevant to the question posed, no statement on my PSU needs could possibly be valid. So how about doling out a little bit of chastisement for jumping to conclusions, being condescending and for assuming I have no idea what I'm doing?

Actually, it is not valid in the least. I've not listed any of the other components which will make up the system, such as my 16 hard drives, 2 HBAs and various other things. Given his utter lack of information, other than that relevant to the question posed, no statement on my PSU needs could possibly be valid. So how about doling out a little bit of chastisement for jumping to conclusions, being condescending and for assuming I have no idea what I'm doing?

Lets try this a different way:

Tir posted info on watercooling, distilled water and biocide. We do not recommend colored fluids/dyes as there are horror stories all over the net of it breaking down and clogging blocks/pumps.

#2 He also posted the psu's best efficiency so in essence a 1k power supply is a waste. ( this was a suggestion)

#3 The one here condescending is you. Tir was being helpful and you came out of your neck with a disrespectful comment and attitude.

#4 You posted about an X370, X299 & an X399. Again using a 1K power supply is overkill and a waste. (Again a suggestion that a lesser wattage unit is better capable)

So relax.

Have a nice day :)

Tell you what, let's make it really, really short by you deleting my account. After all, there are other formums out there, where perhaps someone will answer the questions posed, rather than attempting to teach their grandmother to suck eggs.

Ciao.

You know, Philippus Theophrastus Aureolus Bombastus von Hohenheim intelligence is way beyond ours, poor little overclockers, lacking skill , knowledge and humility: the name speaks for itself.

I'd rather go dismantle a few more robot, hahaha!

:forecast:

Tell you what, let's make it really, really short by you deleting my account. After all, there are other formums out there, where perhaps someone will answer the questions posed, rather than attempting to teach their grandmother to suck eggs.

Ciao.

John,

Do you really want to go or could you overlook some of the good information given and see if specifics will be posted? We have some of the best water cool guys that exist and your thread here is only a few hours old.

John,

Do you really want to go or could you overlook some of the good information given and see if specifics will be posted? We have some of the best water cool guys that exist and your thread here is only a few hours old.

Hi there RollingThunder.

The fact that this is the premier place for serious overclockers and water cooling gurus is exactly why I registered and posted. It's also why I didn't expect the first reply to be a teenybopper spouting basics I learned 25 years ago while attempting to sound like the Great Sage of the Ages.

Quite possibly I let my instant annoyance run away with me.

Given that acknowledgment I'm perfectly happy to stay on and see if someone will chime in with something valuable and on-topic. If the Great Sage keeps butting in I hope I can send you a PM and request removal directly?

Ok lets have another go at this:

CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm >> Great block
Radiator: HW Labs Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ 420 MP >> @ 9 FPI 45 Micron Copper Fins, low RPM fans will do nicely with low to virtually silent cooling
Fans: Thermalright TY-149 >>> @ Airflow : 31.4 – 130.0 CFM & Sound Level : 21 – 45 dB(A) you have a good level of both airflow & noise. Ugly fan IMHO tho, but my tastes don't matter.
Reservoir: Watercool Heatkiller Tube 200 >> Awesome new design for a res. Nice touch
Pump: D5 Vario >. Same pump I currently own. Great pump.
Tubing: EK ZMT or Tygon Norprene >> Go with Primochill Advanced LRT; Comes in different colors and sizes and the bending radius is tighter with minimal kinking.
Coolant: Mayhems XT-1 Nuke >> Again I don't recommend colored fluids/dyes. My recommendation is distilled water and PT-Nuke/Biocide
Fittings: Compression? Barbs? >> Compression fittings add a cleaner look over barbs. They also come in different colors and will add a more pleasing and finished look to the loop.

You'll want to stick with 1/2" all around. Some ppl go with 7/16" for a tighter seal, but because you're going with compression fittings, I'd still stick with 1/2"

There you have it :D

^Neb, I believe someone as experienced as Paracelsus is well aware of all that already. I find you're a bit condescending on this one...

Back