• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First DICE Session...Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LDonnie

I got a DICE pot in today and I plan on running my first DICE session tomorrow with an E6400. I will update the thread with how it goes with pics and results but I need some feedback on how well or not so well I put on the art eraser onto the mobo. Should I put eraser inside of the CPU socket where it holds down the CPU? Also, is it ok to put in the eraser inside of the socket where the pins are in that hollowed out square? (I have witnessed someone use a paper towel and I think vasoline should work?) What should I sit under the motherboard? I plan on using cardboard.

Also, any tips or feedback or criticism or links are welcome. I have read a little on dry ice in the sticky threads on the forums but in all honesty I am a noob. I am using a cheap board so if I destroy it somehow with condensation then I won't be upset. I will start tomorrow sometime early whenever a place with DICE opens up and will keep this thread updated. Maybe we'll get a few laughs from my screw ups =].

Pic of DICE pot (d= 2 in and h=7.5 in and I believe this pot previously was owned by someone from here but I got it off OCN): Apparently I suck at inserting pics so they are below as attachments

Attachments

• IMG_4013.JPG
    IMG_4013.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 118
  • asfdasfd.JPG
    asfdasfd.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I have another 2 questions:

(1) I know that I use one of the silver pieces below (on left) under the mobo. Both pieces are a different shape but all the holes line up exactly except for four of them. Basically, does it matter which one I use for a LGA775 board? (EVGA 750 SLi is the board)

(2) Which of the grey plastic pieces on the right should I be using? Does it matter which one or do I use both? I do not see how I could possibly use both or why it would matter to which one that I use, but I could be wrong.

attachment.php

Congrats on going cold! Your pics don't work, fyi. If you've read the stickies then you're already in great shape. How much DICE do you have? What form is it in? What liquid are you using? What benches are you running?

For some reason I cannot edit my main post anymore even though I can go to edit it just won't let me go to advanced...oh well here are the pics.

I don't have any DICE right now, but I will buy some tomorrow since I live within walking distance of a Publix. I will use acetone and for benches I am just trying to get 20+ points with 10 submissions to join the team. That's my goal with this first session. I have roughly 4.5 atm.

Attachments

• asfdasfd.JPG
    asfdasfd.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4013.JPG
    IMG_4013.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 115
  • mounting.JPG
    mounting.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 114
The top one of the two silver things should be the right one, and the bottom gray thing.
You'll need some form of insulation (both electrical and moisture) between the silver backplate and the motherboard.

Some eraser in the middle of the CPU socket is a good idea.

You'll want a layer of paper towel or shop towel on top of the eraser on the mobo, and then foam or more towel to seal the eraser to the pot (but don't directly put eraser in contact with the pot! That will transfer a ton of cold to the board and lead to issues) so as to prevent ice/water from forming on the eraser and running into something and causing issues.

If there's no warranty on the board, some vaseline in the CPU socket (in the pins and the middle bit) will help prevent issues. Really, vaseline is your (very messy) friend.

Lastly, congrats on going cold! I like your style diving right in, that's what I did and I don't regret it!
You'll be on the team in no time :D

Here's the pregame setup lol...Off to the store to buy the DICE!

Attachments

• setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 111
Overkill on the eraser, but, that isnt harmful. ;)

I figured it was but I was bored waiting for stores to open =].

My work here is done :D
It seems like you always own me one way or the other. Installing windows atm, probably should have done that already lol. Doesnt matter, I have 15lbs to splurge with all day. I will gladly pay $11.55 for something I like to do.

Where are the updates, n00b?

Also, if you're gonna be doing this often, it would be a good idea to invest in a digital thermometer. It's not necessary, but it's nice knowing the temps. Does the Evo have a hole drilled for a probe?

You are going to want to wrap alot more papertowels around the outside of the pot as well. The condensation builds up fast, and will cause alot of moisture on the outside of the pot.

Where are the updates, n00b?

Also, if you're gonna be doing this often, it would be a good idea to invest in a digital thermometer. It's not necessary, but it's nice knowing the temps. Does the Evo have a hole drilled for a probe?

It doesn't have a hole drilled and where would you suggest I find a good deal on a digital thermometer that will be reliable?

You are going to want to wrap alot more papertowels around the outside of the pot as well. The condensation builds up fast, and will cause alot of moisture on the outside of the pot.

I guess I was lucky because on my two sessions I really had a minor amount of condensation.

+1 on more paper towels, I use shop towels they absorb moisture better :)

Should have used my ShamWow. Will next time.

Thats my dragon evo!

Glad to see it go to someone on OCF.

It worked really well. I am not sure how accurate the BIOS temps are but I could keep it consistently at -68C when not being lazy with adding DICE.

All in all I had a blast doing it and I want to go buy some more DICE today and OC instead of working on school work lol. I did not make my goal of 20pts but I do have 15.xx now. Did not take pictures because really there was nothing kool to show. I did pour too much acetone in two times and it volcanoed onto the mobo lol. I learned that I have a lot to learn about OCing because my scores were weaksauce compared to others on hwbot. Looking to get a better motherboard asap.

Matt you are going to have to hang out soon and put it to use. Not sure if I want to use it on my i5-2500k yet.

I actually just posted a good link to a solid thermometer that has worked just fine for me and others on this forum as well that I have recommended it to.

$50 shipped on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-K-J...ltDomain_0&hash=item35b6161575#ht_4592wt_1163

Congrats on your first DICE trip, it's a great time. As was said, use plenty of paper towel/shop towel/shamwow to absorb the moisture.

A tip for adding the acetone, put some DICE in the pot first to cool it down. I use a glass measuring cup and pour the acetone into it and then use an old plastic funnel (that I used previously to fill my water loop) and pour right in. It also helps to have fans blowing horizontally across the top to catch the volcano action that will probably come out anyway.

Also don't forget to stirr it up :)

Next time do a livestream!

All in all I had a blast doing it and I want to go buy some more DICE today and OC instead of working on school work lol. I did not make my goal of 20pts but I do have 15.xx now.

It doesn't look like you ran all the 2D benches, you only did CPUz for the E6400 and CPUz + SPi for the E2200? Did you just run out of time or DICE?

Matt you are going to have to hang out soon and put it to use. Not sure if I want to use it on my i5-2500k yet.

Definitely. I'm still contemplating on getting that Tek9 Fat, but I don't wanna spend $200 for it.

I don't think it'll be worth using it on either your SB or mine since they are both weak. For points in 2D we'd prolly need at least 5.5GHz on the CPU...

Back