• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first gaming pc, a lot of doubts, plz some help :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even if you did have the money...Broadwell is probably only going to be slightly faster than Haswell. Upgrading to the very next generation is usually not worth it.

Thanks for ur post Knufire, i didnt see it the time i wrote the last post of mine. so in your personal opinion should i get haswell right ?

Thank you very much for your help, I´d go with Haswell and MSI Gd-65 or G45. Sorry for being so annoying with the board thing, but as you can read, i listed the main differences btw these mobo´s, but someone said that Ishould go with GD-65, beause it has better components, but i dont find any more differences that what i listed in MSI webpage, could you give me your personal opinion.

Also i found a video, where G45 made a 4.8 stable overclock here

Thanks again.

Nautiluz

Yes, I conscient that the cpu haver more relevance in the overclocking scene, but my english have tricked me, the thing i want to ask is if I should i buy the GD6 or the G45, the difference is 55 Dollars and that is a big price difference in my country, so i dont know if its worth the upgrade.

Thanks again.

Nautiluz

I don't know what you're talking about...ASUS binned a bunch of chips and the average chip will boot (not stable, but boot) at 4.6GHz at around 1.25V, which is high-end air/AIO liquid voltage range. Nearly all the Haswell CPUs I've seen with that type of cooling reach at least 4.4GHz stable, and a Haswell at 4.4GHz is definitely faster than an IB at 4.5GHz.

Also...I'm not saying your personal experience is wrong, but 2 7970s being only a little better than a single 680 means there was clearly something wrong with your setup.

Well, first off, the rending software I was use is optimized for CUDA, not OpenCL so there is the huge drawback. So it makes perfect sense that a 680 would be the better choice. But, the reason I opted for the two cards was because it was 60ish more than the XFX 7970 I had in there. I went through trial and error, because we were supposed to upgrade to later versions of the software that was optimized for OpenCL and we never did. Than I used an overclocked GTX 680 4GB from ASUS and rendering was much quicker! Anyhow, as for the Haswell, it hasn't built its case so far.. its got many bad reviews from Toms Hardware, Newegg, and other owners that they couldn't get a stable overclock with it because it was so hot, even with custom loop watercooling OR all-in-ones like Corsair H100i and what not. Anyway, the chances of getting a stable overclock are slim.. so thus makes it not as capable to overclock to Sandy or Ivy levels.. And at that point, you wouldn't a difference anyway.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Another concern for PC makers is that retail versions of Intel Core i “Haswell” chips when overclocked are around 15°C hotter than pre-production samples as well as hotter compared to previous-generation Core i “Ivy Bridge” products that were made using the same 22nm process technology even at default clock-speeds.

"PCs based on pre-production [speeds] of 4.5GHz have had to be dropped to 4.3GHz because of a lack of stability in retail parts,”

Last edited:
Oh, duh, if we're talking about CUDA rendering the GTX680 is obviously going to win...maybe I just misread your post and read it as in general. However, nowhere in the thread did the Op say he needed CUDA...he said this is just gaming and media playback.

This is a lot of fuss about 200MHz. Put it this way, given equal cooling, you can OC a Haswell to 4.3GHz or an Ivy Bridge to 4.5GHz. The Haswell is still faster.

Oh, duh, if we're talking about CUDA rendering the GTX680 is obviously going to win...maybe I just misread your post and read it as in general. However, nowhere in the thread did the Op say he needed CUDA...he said this is just gaming and media playback.

This is a lot of fuss about 200MHz. Put it this way, given equal cooling, you can OC a Haswell to 4.3GHz or an Ivy Bridge to 4.5GHz. The Haswell is still faster.

Well. I guess I can't really complain because 4.3GHz isn't bad either. I am waiting feedback from co-workers who got the 4770K to see if its doing anything better for them on rendering/editing and such on stock than overclocked. If it does, than I may have to take it back and go for Haswell anyways.

Back