• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Loop | 400$ Budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

So after researching for the past month, I feel like I am missing certain items out of the first shopping cart I am going to post below, and for 430$ I feel like that is a little hefty, for something like This Kit - XSPC D5 EX280 that can give me very similar performance for a couple hundred dollars less. This is my first build and I have a 400$ budget, I am really wanting the best possible like anyone would but need some steering, I have read all of the stickies and multiple reviews but am kinda stuck.

(this is for the rig in my sig) and I do plan on doing a GPU down the road, just not right now....

This was the custom loop I was beginning to price.
FrozenCPUcart-1.jpg

Needs fittings

Lose the coolant, use distilled with a biocide.

Sorry refresh the page, I uploaded the wrong cart, the fittings are on there, compressions. But I think I did the wrong compression or hose.... What is the ideal ID ? 3/8 at least? I think with my current setup I would need 1/4 ID hose lol , that won't fly. But the rad and everything is 1/4 ?

Sorry refresh the page, I uploaded the wrong cart, the fittings are on there, compressions. But I think I did the wrong compression or hose.... What is the ideal ID ? 3/8 at least? I think with my current setup I would need 1/4 ID hose lol , that won't fly. But the rad and everything is 1/4 ?

Didn't see the fittings on each component, my bad.

Most people use 3/8" or 1/2" ID on the hose. The larger hoses have a thicker wall, making hose kinking less of a concern.

The fittings are 1/4" GPT which is a pipe thread. Just match the thread on the fittings to the thread on the components and you're fine there.

So I have 3/8 Compression, and 3/8ID hose, with 1/2 OD , is that correct then or does the compression need to be 1/2? to work with 1/2 OD ?

And are fan brackets necessary or any other fittings? I just wanted to make sure that everything in my cart is 100% what I need to make everything work.

You should see something like this:

G 1/4 Thread 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD Compression Fitting

That tells you the thread, ID and OD the fitting supports.
Yours is a G 1/4 with 1/4" ID and 3/8" OD.

Your tubing is a 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD.

You should see something like this:

That tells you the thread, ID and OD the fitting supports.
Yours is a G 1/4 with 1/4" ID and 3/8" OD.

Your tubing is a 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD.

Ok, so I need to get a larger fitting? To work with the hose I have selected?

Yes, the OD and ID have to match.

You should probably go read the stickies a while longer.

Id personally go with a cheaper reservoir and get a larger radiator. But IMO, water cooling is about performance although some go for the aesthetics.

id hold out, and read some stuff in our WC section.

Just wondering, I'm not saying I disagree, but I see sooooo many people talking about Mayhem's Pastel and how good it is, all the descriptions mention good for 3 years, and the reviewee's all mention how long there systems have been going etc.... Is it really that bad? Like what if someone purchased Mayhem's Pastel, and just replaced the coolant every 6 months or so and flushed their loop.

Mayhem's is something that is good if you have a mod rig you are showing off for a project or showcase. One of the many issues that comes into play, if you were to use for 24/7 use, you would want to change it out around every 2 months, but even doing that, your components will be stained, that includes your tubing, res, cpu block, etc.

It's easiest and best as far as temps go to stick with distilled + killcoil/biocide.

Mayhem's is something that is good if you have a mod rig you are showing off for a project or showcase. One of the many issues that comes into play, if you were to use for 24/7 use, you would want to change it out around every 2 months, but even doing that, your components will be stained, that includes your tubing, res, cpu block, etc.

It's easiest and best as far as temps go to stick with distilled + killcoil/biocide.

Awesome, thanks for explaining. :D

That's just one reason to not go for a 24/7 dye setup, someone more knowledgeable can tell your further. But, if you are going to go for a custom loop, do it right the first time :)

also a reason to spend some time reading in the WC section and learn a few things.

Back