• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First overclock, heat issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paolohess

Hi guys,

I'm new here and to overclocking, this is actually my first oc build, so thanx for any advice.
I just assembled a pc and my temps are a bit scary, I get 40°C idle, 80/70/70/70 degrees converting a movie on a 65% load and 85/80/80/80 degrees converting two movies at once on a 99% load. Prime95 actually popped a 95°C after 2 minutes so I shut everything off.

I'll post my gear hereafter, my oc setup is all auto with just turbo mode set at 4.0Ghz, all cores synced and my CPUVcore never gets over 1.120V.

Dunno what's wrong...any help appreciated -_-'

Intel core I5 4670K
Corsair Hydro H60 (blowing out of the case)
Arctic silver 5 thermal paste (checked twice with a friend, it's applied correctly)
Asus ROG maximus VI impact
Corsair 16GB vengeance LP
2 Arctic PWM 90mm fans
Fractal design Node 304 case
Corsair 120GB SSD
1 TB HDD

H60 isn't a great cooler is part of the reason. That said, temperatures are still seemingly high even for the same as mid-range air water cooler you have.

What are your ambient temps?

EDIT: I see you have a Node 304.. that is a TINY case and likely the majority of your problem is airflow through the rad. Where is the H60 mounted?

my room is at 24°C more or less and the H60 is mounted on the back of the case blowing air through the radiator and then out of the case. The node is tiny as you say but even if I uncover it, things don't change way too much.

Perhaps reverse the airflow as that is taking warm case air through the rad. The H60 is really no better than budget/mid-range air though, so not sure how much better that is going to be...

H60 isn't a great cooler is part of the reason. That said, temperatures are still seemingly high even for the same as mid-range air water cooler you have.

What are your ambient temps?

EDIT: I see you have a Node 304.. that is a TINY case and likely the majority of your problem is airflow through the rad. Where is the H60 mounted?

I'm with ED here. Talking about using a pretty small liquid cooler for a hot chip. Not enough volume of liquid and not a rad large enough to make a difference cooling that liquid. The water block itself is probably about as cheap as it gets...

Besides all that, 95c is OK actually. That chip can run up to 105, but I see your concern.

Just don't push it more for now.....

Things you could do....

Look at delidding and replacing the factory paste. There are tutorials on how to do it. Pretty easy and painless process It may be worth the time for you.

Lap the waterblock mating surface to ensure it's nice and flat. you can do the same to the IHS plate.

Be sure the mounting bracket is Tight. The water block should be more than snug and would take "force" to move it by hand.

Use a push pull method on the rad. Both fans blowing the same direction mounted on either side. That will get the most air flow possible.

All else fails.... seek a better cooler.

In order I would try:

1. Reversing the airflow so the rad gets the coolest air possible (free).
2. Getting another fan on the rad for a push/pull (cheap!) and #1.
3. Get a better cooler (most $).

I do not have delidding in there. While the process is relatively easy, you void your warranty by doing so and can kill your chip in the process. Frankly, I wish people would stop suggesting that to every new person with a temperature problem.. LOL!

I just finished my first overclock too and had some temp issues as well. What fixed it for me: disabled Hyperthreading and rechecked my voltages (they were too high). I am running on a crappy old case, with a simple aftermarket cooler. I saved myself 20+ degrees.

My setup was for an i7-950 going from 3.06 to 3.8 Ghz (will get to 4Ghz on my new cooler master case I hope).

Thanks for the answers, still considering all of them...

BTW I noticed I'm getting 4600RPM on the pump in the bios monitor but CPUID HWMonitor shows 3700RPM at full cpu load...is it reliable? My pump is weak with win 7 loaded? Q-fan is disabled for the pump...but actually it shows 2900RPM at idle... -_-'''''

So...at last, I had Fan Xpert 2 screwing my rpms and I managed to set a decent profile. Now I get 70/60/60/60 °C on a 60% load and 80/75/75/75 on a full load. I start to see some light out of it. Noobish issue at step zero. ;)

Do you think a Noctua fan like the NF-F12 PWM could make the difference?

Back