• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first overclock with slot a (advice please)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juliendogg

okay, i succsessfully upped the clock on my classic slot a 750 to 8.5.. my mother board only supports fsb up to 115 so i can run at 977 stable.. oh yeah i upped the voltage from 1.65 to 1.75 otherwise i wasn't able to get over 930 via fsb.
so here's the question. i'm sure if i raise the multiplier up to 9 then i can use the fsb to break the gigahertz mark!! but i will need to up the voltage again to at least 1.8
right now i'm running around 40 degrees under load. i need to know what kind of temp increase i should expect from another .5 voltage increase... i'm using a good heatsink dual fan and lot's of big system fans. oh yeah. doing all this without the aid of a gfd... so the least changing i can do the better. soldering gets frustrating ya know??!!

I've got my 7.5x100 @ 9.5x100 @ 2 volts...

Slot A's handle the heat well more surface area...

what is your core code? I think I may have found a 'freak' in the litter, i've never seen a code like mine ever...

don't know what the code is off hand, i didn't right it down. it's a 900 mhz core though .18 micron. i traded out my 600 and biostar mainboard for this one and a gigabyte ga-7vm. first thought it was a t-bird because of the silver backplate but it's a classic athlon with 512k. like i said, i seem pretty stable at 977 so i didn't see why i couldn't up the voltage a bit and go on up to 9 or 9.5 with the clock multiplier... you using stock cooling with 2.0 voltage? what's your temp? if i decide to tear down and break out the solder again i'll write down the code on the core this time.........

well as u know our boards don't have on die temps..
and my case is open..

but according to MBM5 my chasis temp is 31, my cpu is 34...

the HSF is fairly warm to the touch but not uncomfortable to hold..

btw I had a 6.5x100 classic and I got 8.5x100 out of it, or 8x107...

now that u mention it, my 7.5 is a t-bird and it has a silverback...
my old one had a black plate..

Do you have any instructions on moding the Athlons PCB to change multiplyer? or can u point me to a place that does?
The brown little chips below the goldfingers have been chiped preventing me from using a GFD on this...but im willing to lend it off for soldering.
I have a 550 classic, the most i have had it at is 622mhz via FSB only, WinMe runs that but Win2000 craps out at 611mhz, I have modded the chipset with a fan+heatsink, I have also have more that adaqate cooling. (going to attach pic) my case stays open always, I have to use an old AT powersupply to power the fans on the heatsink otherwise my 300 watt cant handle them, also large case fan blowing on the back of teh PCB.

Im going to purchase another mobo and proc, SLot a, then im going to get a socket a board, maybe another KT7a to replace my old one that fried, i would just get a thunderbird slot a but this board only supports 700mhz no more...Soyo K7VIA Also this 550 has a 650 core, so it says...

Last edited:
I would deffinately suggest a GFD...

all u do is piggy back it to your cpu, after u crack it... and it runs cooler without the case anyway...

GFD's are cheap and HELLA safer...
u can alter voltage and mulitplier, and use software to alter cache mulitplier...

and the fact that your board only supports 700 maybe something to do with it, have u flashed latest bios??

but if u must solder, Tom's hardware is where the solder theory originated... look aroound there, but I still say go GFD..

ebay man... I got mine in a couple days.. best upgrade I ever made...

hey, go for it if you can't use a gfd. tomshardware has an article with very specific instructions for soldering the pcb. i did it successfully to get from 7.5 to 8.5 and i'm going to go a little higher because i have a 900 core and also because i just wanna try. it's not that hard if you have good eyes steady hands and plenty of patience.... i didn't wanna wait for the gfd or to try and find one and i'll be upgraded to an xp soon anyway so what the hey right? toms hardware also has instructions to make your own gfd if you can get your connectors fixed that's an option too......

Back