• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First pc build for graphic design and gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martybaker

Registered
Hi,
I am interested in build a pc for mostly graphic design and video editing, I would also like it to be capable of gaming.
Thanks

Budget? What area do you live in?
Buying a monitor? If not what do you have?
Any specific programs you plan to use?

You can go budget and build something nice for as little as $6-700, much nicer for $1200 range, then excellent for $2K+.

I want buy a LG 34um59-p 34in 21:9 monitor for $338 from new egg and yeah I guess $1200 would be alright for the build not including monitor.
Thanks

If you are near a MC I'd recommend an 1800X combo from them. 8c/16t with a Prime B350 for $400 is hard to beat. If not its not worth it as it would cost about $130+ more at Amazon\Egg. If you want to OC can save $80 for a 1700 combo. You would have just about enough budget: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BN2Kjc

If not then something alone these lines for cpu\mb\mem:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3484712

*UPDATE*
Ah, Aussy. I would try to find good local prices.

Last edited:
Sorry but can you give a list of the parts, I've never built before and I didn't have a clue what you were talking about

If you do heavy graphic design, you need more than 16GB of memory. You'll be limited in large format HD pictures.

I hilt quite a few systems with second hand parts but ATM, I don't think it is wise:
- used GPU prices are through the roof thanks to mining craze
- Ryzen is too new to get a decent dice on used ones

Could save a bit on DDR and PSU, but the money saved would be marginal on the overall cost and not worth the hassle IMO.

If the OP can wait one month, he could go Coffee Lake with the 8700K. IPC advantage over Ryzen and the extra GHz when overclocked would compensate for the 2 missing cores and be something like 30% faster on single threaded apps (+25% frequency and + 15% IPC).

Yeah no good deals on 1070's right now. For the monitor OP wants I'd actually go for a Vega 56 for the FreeSync support IFFFFFFF you could freaking find one. AMD needs to get off the lazy butts and get some real stock shipping.
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM59-B-ultrawide-led-monitor

Reason I chose 16GB was budget. Pushing 32GB will eat up to much of the budget for a decent GPU. Better to add more ram later.

Used not sure. If you could find a good deal on a 6800K combo from someone with a good rep then it might be worth the risk. Otherwise better off sticking with new since shipping and returns could be really problematic for you.

I've decided that what I am going to do is to buy the parts bit by bit over the next 6 months so I can afford to build a decent machine.

What would buy First, processor or motherboard?

^Not the best idea: save your money for the next 6 months and buy it all at once.

You will have bits and bobs taking the dust while new tech is out...

^ I agree. I would save your money and purchase everything at one time. If you buy used parts you can usually find deals on packages like a CPU+Motherboard+RAM combos. The only thing I would purchase in advance is a case that you like to put everything in since the prices don't fluctuate as much.

^Not the best idea: save your money for the next 6 months and buy it all at once.

You will have bits and bobs taking the dust while new tech is out...

Not to mention the item you buy today will probably (but not always) cost less in 6 months. Save up the money until you're ready and spend it all at once. That way you're getting the best deal at the time and getting the most current tech on the date of purchase.
And like PB said, watch for deals on both used gear and super sales. I've scored some really great deals in the last year on second hand gear and on new gear that hit a one-time sale. As the holidays get closer, you'll probably see more sales and more people unloading last years gear for the new stuff.

I agree that you will likely get cheaper prices waiting and saving, but that's not always easy to do. Some things you can buy now that won't fluctuate in price much or be obsolete in a few months:
PSU, Case, any kind of cable mods, uv strips, RGB fans, and cooling system. Most good AIO coolers will be covered for current and new CPU brackets even if you have to request a bracket later.

Ram is iffy. Its definitely high right now but not sure its really going to be much cheaper in a few months.
Storage drives, any cheap 7200 rpm drive is not gonna go much cheaper.
SSD, just have to catch it on sale. Caught a 960 Evo 500GB for $185.

CPU, MB, GPU should definitely be last.

Back