• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first pc build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newpcgamer1987

Ok so I have been researching for about a week and I think I have decided on my gaming pc build minus the optical drive just let me know it you think it will work for gaming or if I have made a mistake somewhere

ASUS m5a97 r2.0 motherboard

ASUS R7260X-OC- 2GD5 GPU

CORSAIR RM750 PSU

AMD FD6300WMHKBOX CPU

G.SKILL F3-14900 CL95-4GBXL RAM

WD 10EZEX HARD DRIVE

ROSEHILL CHALLENGER BLACK GAMING ATX MID TOWER

Keep in mind I have never done anything with computers really so I am learning as I go I have bought the case but that is all I have bought so far thanks for any advice

My first build was stupid, lol

Near enough the same as what I got now (look at Sig)
just without the soundcard, without the SSD and without the 19 inch monitor, the graphics card was a GeFource 440 GT by Gigabye 1GB clocked at 800MHz, lol. also it had 16GB DDR3 XMS3 ram, it now has 8GB ram, dunno why I downgraded it.....

It'll do the basic stuff, and probably the more advanced stuff if you dial it back. I have questions though:

What's your budget?
What games do you play?
Do you already have a Monitor? Keyboard? Mouse? Windows?

Well I am going to be buying this piece by piece over a several months the more I spend the longer it will take I would like to keep it around 800.00 I do have a keyboard mouse and monitor nothing fancy but they will work for know I will have to buy a copy of windows 8.1 but I am not putting that in the budget I would like to be able to play the new dragon age for sure and from there I don't know for sure I am new to pc gaming

I want to play the new dragon age the budget around 800.00 have to buy windows have all the other stuff

It should play Dragon Age fine, though recommended specs on the DA Page include a 270. Overclocking will probably be ill-advised on that board, and that PSU is both not on the recommended PSU list here on the forums, and overkill. I recommend this unit.

Edit: You may be able to get away with this, but I'll let a more experienced builder confirm that.

Ok not to seem ungrateful but what was wrong with my build I am only asking so I can learn and not have to ask people all the time

Ram is too fast, and you can squeeze a 270x in there, but yeah

Not sure why it's "too fast"...

Ok not to seem ungrateful but what was wrong with my build I am only asking so I can learn and not have to ask people all the time

First, the motherboard is pretty weak for FX. It takes a seasoned builder to know what pairs well on FX, and the board I recommended is the lowest I'd go for the platform.
The RAM is just a better buy. Nothing wrong with what you picked, but performance/dollar is better on the set I picked.
The 750Ti is about the same speed as the 260X, but it overclocks a LOT better. And it doesn't take down near as much power.
PSU was a decent quality one, but way too much wattage. That jacks your cost up. The unit I recommended is "tried and true". One of the best for the money in that wattage range.

You could actually jump up to a 960 on the GPU and still be within budget, FYI.

Noted thank you very much if I upgrade to a 960 do I need to get a bigger PSU I figured mine was overkill but I was also figuring that to much was better than not enough since I couldn't figure out how to work the calculator I found but once again thank you

Noted thank you very much if I upgrade to a 960 do I need to get a bigger PSU I figured mine was overkill but I was also figuring that to much was better than not enough since I couldn't figure out how to work the calculator I found but once again thank you

Nope, the 550W is more than enough for any single GPU system :)

I'm in agreement with ATMINSIDE, as usual. I would do his build, but swap the GPU out for a GTX 960. Or, for a similar price, you can pick up an R9 290, which has a bit more power, but also runs hotter and is not DX12 compatible.

It is not advisable to buy a little bit at a time. Honestly, this thread is kind of pointless. No offense or anything. What you need to do is save up $800, THEN buy all your parts, simultaneously. By 8 months from now, this thread will be obsolete with obsolete information. New stuff will be out. New chipset, new cpus, new motherboards, new RAM, new cooling solutions, new GPUs from AMD, etc etc. So really, what you need to do is go start saving your money up in a jar on top of your fridge (that's what I do :p) and when there's $800 in there, come back and ask us what list of parts you should buy right away. Not 8 months later.

If you buy the parts we're suggesting today 8 months from now, or over the course of 8 months... that's just batty. The world of personal computers is a world constantly in evolution. It's not like buying all the parts for a 2015 model car in late 2014 and assembling the car by August 2015. That model of car will still be relevant. The PC components will not. Never save up for today's model if it will take you until tomorrow to do so. Tomorrow's model will always be better.

6300 supports 1866. ~2100 might be a stretch but 2400 is simply over the top.

270x smokes the 750 ti for the same cost now. Not sure where the confusion is here.

The 960 is overpriced garbage.

Back