• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post!!! CPU choice help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

23bobbyg

Registered
I recently purchased an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard, an Antec nine hundred case, Corsair H55 cooler, Corsair CX600 power supply, 2 4gb sticks of G Skill RipJaws X Series DDR31600 PC3 12800, and I am using my AMD Sapphire Radeon 6670 HD Graphics card. I debating on which processor to go with to complete my build. I am going to get either the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition or the AMD FX 6100. I am not afraid to overclock. I have read many reviews and lots seem to put down the FX but all the stats I see seem to show the 6100 SLIGHTLY outperforms the Phenom while running SLIGHTLY cooler and using less power. I am not a big gamer, I tend to use my PS3 for that. This build will primarly be used for running XBMC, Netflix, and Windows Media Center. I will dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Thanks for the suggestions

Well, I want to build it to last for a while and can get both for basicly the same price. I will buy one of the two. Just want to make the best choice between the two.

Thanks

Its an HTPC, that CPU is overkill for it as it stands. It will last 'a while'. Your money, just letting you know you can be perfectly happy with the lesser CPU.

Throw the 965 into it then. It'll work great for years just watching netflix.

How do you think the Corsair H55 with Artic Silver 5 Thermal compound and the Antec Ninehundred case will do keeping it cool?
This is my first total build and I want to learn about and experiment with overclocking as well.

Thanks

Corsair H55 is MEH. It will do the job though. AS5 is solid though a bit long in the tooth. MX-2 or MX-4 is a bit better (1-2C, if that).

Cooling wise I think it'll do fine and fairly quiet. Although the blue LED's might get under your skin after a while. You could get just as good of performance and quietness with a CM hyper air cooler and a corsair 200r which is on sale at the egg. Plus you'd save close to $100.
EDIT: if you look in my sig. I have the 965 with a cheap old Chakra case and the CM hyper 212 pro. The only time I know it's running is if I have F@H going in the background.

Thanks, I already have the case and cooler purchased (which I know now I should have waited on, this is my first build) My concern with going with the Phenom X4 was cooling it. Thanks for the replies.

Where I live the FX 6300 is cheaper than the 6100 and since it has piledriver cores, would be faster and more efficient than the 6100 using bulldozer cores.
The 6300 is like $120 here and I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything else at that price.
Also there is no reason to OC this setup, as ED has stated this setup is overkill for what you are looking to do.
I'd probably under clock/volt assuming you plan to leave it on all the time

Thanks, I just dropped $80 on a new Phenom X4 at the egg. Any other suggestions on my set up? Thanks for the help on my first build!

Back