• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post, First Built PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanBest

EDIT: Got rid of almost everything I started out with and ended up with whats in my sig. Thanks for all who gave me suggestions. After reading hundereds of trheads I think I finally got a decent setup. Hope it all works lol.

Last edited:
....i really didnt bother reading all that...burns my eyes as for your spec..looks nice!

zalman 9700 better...9800gtx is ****e...might as well get a gtx 260 the prices have dropped

You'll need a decent supply of power. Google for a 'PSU calculator,' to give yourself an idea of how many watts you'll need. Then, look through a site like Newegg for ones that will work well with the setup you intend. Include about an arbitrary 100-watt cushion if aging (2-3 or more years) is a concern.

The power supply is essential to any computer. This particular component will potentially cost you if it fails, or is inadequate for your purpose.

As far as sound goes, if your motherboard has integrated sound, it's usually good enough for the average listener. This choice is also dependent on your choice of speakers. The best sound card won't make bad speakers sound better.

I'd consider waiting until after you move and are settled into a place before putting together a super-machine. It would make for less complications in your move such as extreme heat, humidity concerns, and excessive movement.

If you do put it together before you move, remember to take your heatsink off of your CPU during the physical move.

Also, consider taking advantage of a motherboard with triple-channel memory, if you're going DDR3, and pick a configuration of three modules -- 6GB for example (2GB x 2GB x 2GB). Also, choose a motherboard that is SLI-capable in case you decide to upgrade your video performance.

Note I haven't given a detailed look at any of your parts; this is general advice.

Or just go water for higher end :p
How much will you overclock it by? You want to get the best HSF/cooling possible as you don't want it to be limited by high temps :)

Also Pedantic there is no triple channel motherboards, and anyway they would cost twice as much as the high end motherboard today. The Q9450 would not work on that motherboard either, it is designed for Nehalem's release (The X58). You could wait for Nehalem, if that is too expensive an option then the mainstream now will be even lower in price.

Highly reckomend TRU120E as im sure many others will. my bro has a 9500 zalman on his e8400 its quiet looks ok but nutin on my TRUE.

as for the Video card why not get a HD4870?

also welcome!

Great suggestions. Also, I chose an nVidia card because so far from what I've used I haven't really like any of the ATI cards I've used since my old 9800PRO. I like both nVidia 7 series I own now. But I'm definitely looking at the ATIs now seeing as everyone else thinks highly of them. Any other suggestions on anything? Really want to get the best of everything first time around since once I build it school will be only days away and I really won't have time to return and repurchase unless absolutely necessary (RMA or whatever). Thanks again all!

CPU - Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz
HSF - Zalman CNPS 9700 *fixed* typed 9100 instead of 9700!
Motherboard - ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi
RAM - Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600
GPU - XFX 9800GTX Black Edition
HDD - Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10krpm
Sound - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Gamer Edition
Optical - Samsung 22x DVD Burner
Case - Coolermaster Cosmos 1000

Monitor suggestions too please! 20"+!

what I would do....

swap the HSF for the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
swap the 150GB Raptor for a 300GB VelociRaptor
add a WD6400AAKS 640GB drive for data/storage
add a Corsair HX620W

the vga could be fine, or might need changing. depends on how much you will play games, AND which games you will play. any ideas?

for monitors go check out "the LCD thread" at anand, and pick one in your budget. The NEC2x90WUXi are supposedly awesome (24 & 26")

....i really didnt bother reading all that...burns my eyes as for your spec..looks nice!

zalman 9700 better...9800gtx is ****e...might as well get a gtx 260 the prices have dropped
Whats that word? Is there a way to turn off censoring or anything?

Assuming its a diss of some sort to the 9800gtx, i can say that i like mine, and it is still considerably cheaper than a gtx 260.

An ati 4850 is a good option, but they didn't have dual slot coolers for em still when i was looking(last week)

If you do put it together before you move, remember to take your heatsink off of your CPU during the physical move.

Is this really necessary? I not only have not heard of this, but I regularly haul my computer from work back home with me on the weekend to get some work done, with no adverse affects whatsoever.

What about people that haul around their LAN gaming machines - do they remove and replace the heatsink when they go somewhere?

I think i would recommend not doing this. Once you get your heat sink seated well, I'd say leave it unless removal is absolutely necessary. Its not going to hurt it.

Also, moving your computer around once in a while isn't a crime, although turning it off before you do it isn't a bad idea.

My advice: computers aren't that fragile, I'd say build it when your ready, no need to wait till your "settled in".

I swapped out the heatsink for the Thermalright 120, read a lot of reviews looks beast, I think I chose a 750W Thermaltake PSU. As for gaming, I play all of the Call of Duty games, including CoD4, was thinking about trying out Crysis, heards its awesome, pc now can't play it if it tried. Really want to play a game an insane resolution on max graphics for once, tired of this low-med crap. Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming!

I haven't been in the game recently, so I'm sorry to jump the gun with triple-channel memory suggestion. I thought it'd be out by now!

My basis of removing the heat-sink before physically moving involves a friend's experience, not my own. He was moving his computer to a LAN party, and in transit, the heat-sink somehow ripped the CPU out, causing the chip to subsequently fail. I don't remember if there was damage to his motherboard. This was maybe four or five years ago, and if I recall correctly, it was a heavy heat-sink which could have affected the situation.

It's quite possible that this will rarely if ever happen. However, I will do this with my own rig when I plan to move. I prefer to obviate risk, if I do actually see potential for it.

Also, Sean, it wouldn't hurt to run a series of stress-tests after you put your rig together. Allow Memtest86 to run for a day or half a day, then let Prime95 run (on small FFT) for a day or so, then lastly let Prime95 run on 'blend' for a day or so. Keep everything cool while doing this; leave the case open and have a fan on it, for example. This would allow you to find out if any of your parts aren't working up to par while your warranties are still valid.

Make sure your memory is given proper voltage, and set it to its rated timings.

Depending on what you're using your computer for, a RAID 1 setup might be prudent. If you're religious with backing up your important files, then it's probably not necessary. I don't have a RAID setup myself, so I cannot offer any insight into its functionality.

if u relly like CoD4 the 4850 demolishes that game absolutly loves it. if ur totaly not fussed about price y not get 2 4870s? that should play crysis really well

what I would do....

swap the HSF for the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
swap the 150GB Raptor for a 300GB VelociRaptor
add a WD6400AAKS 640GB drive for data/storage
add a Corsair HX620W

the vga could be fine, or might need changing. depends on how much you will play games, AND which games you will play. any ideas?

for monitors go check out "the LCD thread" at anand, and pick one in your budget. The NEC2x90WUXi are supposedly awesome (24 & 26")

QFT, the Corsair 650TX is also $85 AR now

also check out the PCP&C 750W if that's how much power you need. i think it'd be a much better PSU in terms of quality and features.

As for gaming, I play all of the Call of Duty games, including CoD4, was thinking about trying out Crysis, heards its awesome, pc now can't play it if it tried. Really want to play a game an insane resolution on max graphics for once, tired of this low-med crap. Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming!

if u relly like CoD4 the 4850 demolishes that game absolutly loves it. if ur totaly not fussed about price y not get 2 4870s? that should play crysis really well
if you want COD4 & crysis at high res, then you should probably get a second 9800GTX, or get something else altogether. of course, if you choose SLI, then you're bound to nvidia chipsets and would have to change mobos. I wouldn't do that here. I'd probably go crossfire like Albyno suggested.

check out reports/reviews for those particular games. you'll see lists of vga cards and their respective FPS at various resolutions. pay attention to the numbers that will match the native res for whichever monitor you pick. eg 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 most likely.

some reviews...
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=14
http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_2/

search around for similar reviews with 4870 crossfire.. i don't have any handy. but if the 4870 scales as well as the the 4850 in crossfire at 2560x1600 in cod4, then you're lookin' at sweetness. budget/value is another issue... :beer:

I heard the 4870 in crossfire was pretty sweet, just wondering is crossfire really worth the second card. I remember when SLi and Crossfire were new performance was minimal, at least from what I read way back. Also, aynone got any good suggestions for a monitor. Buying most of components from Newegg, and would like a resolution of 1920x1200. 2560x1600 would be awesome, but not really wanting a 30" monitor. So far I only see 24"-27" with 1920x1200, would like a 22", but would go to a 24" if necessary.

also check out the PCP&C 750W if that's how much power you need. i think it'd be a much better PSU in terms of quality and features.

if you want COD4 & crysis at high res, then you should probably get a second 9800GTX, or get something else altogether. of course, if you choose SLI, then you're bound to nvidia chipsets and would have to change mobos. I wouldn't do that here. I'd probably go crossfire like Albyno suggested.

check out reports/reviews for those particular games. you'll see lists of vga cards and their respective FPS at various resolutions. pay attention to the numbers that will match the native res for whichever monitor you pick. eg 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 most likely.

some reviews...
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=14
http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_2/

search around for similar reviews with 4870 crossfire.. i don't have any handy. but if the 4870 scales as well as the the 4850 in crossfire at 2560x1600 in cod4, then you're lookin' at sweetness. budget/value is another issue... :beer:

Oh WOW, you have a Slestack for your avitar...I know, off topic, but I just saw that. Do you remember that show?:clap:

Back