• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Seti Casuality

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aideed

Registered
I lost my first Seti cruncher, computer #6694046. Really came out of nowhere too.

Lost video signal out from the PC, thought it was the graphics card but I stuck it into another PC and it worked fine. Seems like the motherboard/cpu gave out, hopefully I will have time to check this weekend and get it back up.

Now I have two dual gpu rigs and have a good excuse to build a 3rd. :D

aideed

Check the power supply too, I have had to replace several PSU's over the years (more common than motherboard failures)

good idea. i didn't even think about that. thats what it will probably be as i just looked at the green led as indication of good power. haha. :screwy:

Is it worthwhile to bring this computer back up?

Or just go tri-SLI with my main rig?

i must have missed the no SLI warning. my components in the main rig can support a third; i'll have to add another exhaust fan though.

why no to SLI?

Something about SLI teaming the cards and the 2nd one has reduced functionality and thus reduces SETI production below the level that is possible without SLI being activated.

But I'm getting out of my depth on this topic, I'll let those who have more experience with multi GPU's discuss it from their personal knowledge.

Something about SLI teaming the cards and the 2nd one has reduced functionality and thus reduces SETI production below the level that is possible without SLI being activated.

But I'm getting out of my depth on this topic, I'll let those who have more experience with multi GPU's discuss it from their personal knowledge.

hm, okay. i don't consider myself an expert on these matters but i do have my CPU doing SLI synching instead of the second board.

i haven't noticed a decrease using SLI but it seems some testing is in order.

Not too long ago in Seti it was recommended to disable SLI when doing distributed computing project. If I remember right this has been solved, but I'm not sure.

Please report back with your test results!

Back