• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time Builder; socket 2011

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fragasm

Registered
Hey all -- I have stumbled across these forums many times in the past but never had much cause to be anything more than a lurker.

I am in the process of putting together my first self-built gaming PC. I am a little intimidated to be honest because the most I have really ever done inside of a PC is replace RAM -- replace a PSU -- and install GPU's.

Installing the CPU itself scares me a bit -- and also dealing with anything in BIOS or configuring HDD's/SSD's is totaly out of my realm of experience.

I have mostly all of my components picked out:

Case: CoolerMaster HAF X
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 1000w
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth x79 LGA 2011
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1600 Quad Channel
CPU: i7-3930k
SSD: Intel 520 Cherryville 120GB
HDD: WD 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Enterprise
GPU: Waiting on a 680 to become available

My main concern right now is my CPU cooling solution. I am looking at Intel's socket 2011 closed loop liquid CPU cooler -- but I am also looking at the new Phanteks heat sinks. I would much rather use the Phantek model but I am concerned about the size of it.

Has anybody here done a similar setup using a larger heatsink/fan like the Phantek with the 2011 socket? I am initially planning on sticking with the 4 DIMM setup with 16GB but eventually I might throw another 4 DIMMS in and even still I am guessing I will have to stagger the first four DIMMS across both sides anyway.

If anyone can offer some advice I am all ears and willing to learn -- this is my very first complete PC build and I want to make sure I am making the correct purchasing decisions.

Thanks

Firstly, that is an insane Mobo, I am jealous.

So getting started, I built my first custom gaming machine last summer. Previously I had done some limited modding (upgrading ram, GPUs, etc) but had never build a complete system. As for the cpu cooling, the taller ram is a big issue especially with taller/bigger CPU coolers. (the first one that I bought for my machine would not fit with the ram that I bought. After I returned that cooler I bought a CM 212 EVO (which is tall rather than wide, I installed another fan on it (push/pull) and my temps on my OCed 2500k were in the mid-60s at 100%) I am not familular with the Phantek brand but I know that the CM 212 EVO is a great cooler and it should fit the the taller ram on the MOBO.

If you wanted to use WC (either custom loop or an enclosed system) you would not have that issue at all because waterblocks are much smaller than the heat syncs and they offer much better cooling capabilities. If you went the enclosed route I would recommend the CM h100, it is very commonly used on this site with great results (especially if you replace/add fans) and there is little to no maintenance like you have on a custom loop.

As for installing the CPU and messing with the BIOS, Installing the CPU is a lot easier than it seems (put it in - it only fits one way, add thermal paste - 2 lines near the middle, mount the heat sync/waterblock) BIOS is a little more complicated, if you want to go the easy route there are usually some default OC settings to OC it without having to change a lot of settings, there are also a lot of people on this site with a lot of experience with BIOS (I have a good amount but I am not an expert, yet).

HDDs, SSDs are easy, put them in and use the Windows utility to format/partition them. The days of using FDisk and other crap utilities are long gone.

I hope this helps clear up some of your questions, good luck with your build.

Last edited:
The intel liquid cooler is pretty much a waste. It doesnt perform any better than a high end air cooler. You picked the CM HAF which is a big *** case so it will fit pretty much any cooler you want to use. I definitely agree that the H100 is leaps and bounds better than the Intel closed loop.
With the design of the lga2011 socket cpus you are going to want 2 sticks of memory on each side of the CPU socket.

That 1KW PSU is super overkill for a single 680, were you planning to go for SLI later? even still for 2way SLI an 850w would be sufficient.

. I definitely agree that the H100 is leaps and bounds better than the Intel closed loop.

The H100 is almost as good as a custom loop and is better than any aircooler on the market currently, at $100 it is much cheaper than any custom loop and there is no maintenance. It is a great cooler for beginners and even experienced OCers. I just finished putting in a custom loop and the performance is great but it takes a lot of work especially the first time doing it without any previous experience.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017&Tpk=h100

Last edited:
With the XSPC Rasa 750 available for under $150 Id have a hard time with firmly suggesting the H100 though. There is the maintinence issue though.

With the XSPC Rasa 750 available for under $150 Id have a hard time with firmly suggesting the H100 though. There is the maintinence issue though.

Regarding maintenance, if you use distilled water with a little bit of biocide, I think cleaning the loop once every 18 months is enough...

And I agree with you SSJW, this Rasa 750 is sexy and upgradable!

EDIT: you have to add 2 or 4 fans though ($20 to $40?)

There are mixed reviews on the H100 on sites like newegg. There does seem to be some quality issues but overall if it works properly it does seem to work well. It does come with a 3 year warranty (last time I checked anyway) that covers it and the other components in case of an issue, but there are mixed reviews on the warranty as well. You could go down that road and hope for a good experience.

The XSPC Rasa 750 probably would perform better and would offer the ability to upgrade but if you are in any way nervous about building and maintaining a custom loop you may want to go with an enclosed system or with air.

I appreciate the input here. I am leaning towards an air cooling system as I am not really inclined to overclock. I do want a powerful system but I do not see the need to overclock anything.

I am a little confused as to how to install the intel water cooler unit; does the radiator/fan simply take place of the rear fan on the case? If I went with the H100 where in the hell do I put that huge radiator? Does it go on the top of the HAF X?

I am more concerned with the air cooler/heat sink interfering with the RAM as it seems the 2011 Mobo's do not seem to leave a lot of room for after market heat sinks.

I appreciate the input here. I am leaning towards an air cooling system as I am not really inclined to overclock. I do want a powerful system but I do not see the need to overclock anything.

I am a little confused as to how to install the intel water cooler unit; does the radiator/fan simply take place of the rear fan on the case? If I went with the H100 where in the hell do I put that huge radiator? Does it go on the top of the HAF X?

I am more concerned with the air cooler/heat sink interfering with the RAM as it seems the 2011 Mobo's do not seem to leave a lot of room for after market heat sinks.

Installing the Intel/H80 type systems is very easy, most people replace their rear fan with the rad and have the fan blow out so that it still acts as a case fan. With the h100 most install the rad in the top where there is a vent or in the front (assuming there is not a HDD rack in the way).

If you do not want to OC the system you could just go with a smaller air cooler or the stock cooler and still get OK temps. The main reason people upgrade their cooling is of OCing.

^ Agreed on most everything except the fact that I believe there isn't any stock cooler provided with the 3930K.
An Hyper 212 ($30) will give you great temps at stock and if you feel like, OC'ing will be possible later on.

^ Agreed on most everything except the fact that I believe there is any stock cooler provided with the 3930K.
An Hyper 212 ($30) will give you great temps at stock and if you feel like, OC'ing will be possible later on.

The Hyper 212 is a good cooler, I ran it for a few weeks before getting the EVO which I ran until I got water last week.

I think I am going to go with the Intel liquid cooling option. It seems like it will have no installation issues with the DIMMS in a 2011 socket MOBO.

Getting a decent heat sink in there seems to be really sketchy right now. Most reviews I read people are suggesting you get low-profile memory. There ias really no way to know how low of low-profile RAM I need until I try to install the cooler.

I don't want to deal with sending stuff back and forth and re-ordering.

Back