• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocker advice needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

count_zero99uk

Hi there,

I was looking around for bits to build a new pc and realised my chip is still pretty good, i7-2700k. I spoke on some forums and i was told that it was a snap to overclock and with a good GPU id be more than happy with the results.

So ive got myself a new GPU the KFA2 GEFORCE GTX 1070 EX 8192MB

And i am waiting for a GA-Z77-D3H to come through the post, 2nd hand and i hope it works.

Also will be using 16gb of DD3 1600 ram that i have from my previous machine.

Things im not sure about is cooling, cases, and psu.

Ive been looking around and think i have found some things which may work according to part picker, but im not sure how good that is.

I like this look of the SOURCE 340 MIDI-TOWER CASE - RED WINDOW but looking at the specs it only has a cpu cooler clearance of 161mm. How much leeway do you have in these, does that mean my cooler should be 160mm, or is that pushing it?

I found one cooler i liked the look of but it said the height was 163mm :( - thats the Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED CPU Air Cooler.

So now im looking for something that will fit the colour scheme i like red/black (fits the gpu) Any recommendations would be great.

Finaly im still confused over a psu I keep getting conflicting information, i know to get one from a good brand, but its how much power i need. The GPU recommends 500w but do i need more power if im overclocking?

I do hope you can help :)

Many thanks
Brian.

Brian, please create a Signature from Settings (upper right corner of any OCF forum page) and succinctly list your components. This will travel with every post you make and can be edited to reflect component changes.

If the maximum cooler height is 161mm stated to be the specs of the case I would not count on buying a cooler taller than that. Unless, that is, you want to use the case with the side panel off or adapt it with some kind of fabricated cut out over the cooler. Their are plenty of good ones on the market that will fit within your clearance limitations. Being that you are in the Uk, however, I'm not sure what's available to you. Keep in mind that there are only minor differences in performance among the top tier coolers so don't obsess over it.

When you are overclocking don't get too agressive as there is only a small heatsink on the VRM of that motherboard.

If you are only running one video card any good 500 watt PSU will be more than enough. But I'm talking about reputable brands that don't exaggerate their wattage claims.

Here is a list of CPU coolers that are not taller than 161mm: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...91899 601291897 601291911 601291894 600035313

You should be able to find one in this group with good ratings that is available to you in the UK at a price you can afford.

Brian, please create a Signature from Settings (upper right corner of any OCF forum page) and succinctly list your components. This will travel with every post you make and can be edited to reflect component changes.

Thanks trents, done that. Id be grateful if it could be looked over and people comment on how it looks and if there are any glaring problems.

As for overclocking ill be taking it slow, if i can get it to 4ghz stable ill be happy. Though ive been told its quite easy to oc this chip.

Thanks again
Brian.

- - - Updated - - -

Do i have to launch a new post, apologies for spamming.

OK cant seem to get the sig to show. THis is what it should say.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: KFA2 - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB EX Video Card
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
1 x Case Fan: Corsair - SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm Fan Rear
2 x Case Fan: Corsair - SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm Fan Front

Last edited:
Did you choose "Edit Signature" from the left side of the page after clicking on "Settings"? If you are trying to do this from a mobile phone it may not work. No, you do not have to launch a new post to create a "Sig". There used to be a minimum number of post a new forum member had to make before having to access the Sig tool. I thought that was no longer the case but I could be wrong.

According to this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...rVpO57I4E29BFgfVxFBoCtlwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

the cooler your are looking at is only 160mm tall.

Last edited:
the way to ensure your vrms stay cool is to have the best case cooling you can manage. the rule of thumb for case cooling is front/side/bottom fans as inlet and top/back as outlets. if there is room you could try using a small 40-60mm fan on them but usually that is overkill.

You can also position a "spot" fan to blow directly in the vrm heat sink. Many of us have done that at times. A 50mm fan is usually about right. You can attach them in place in various ways depending on the environment. Zip ties, hot glue, double-sided adhesive strips, etc.

Back