• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ntzntz

Hi guys. New around here. I also got my hands on a R5 1600 AF and i want to mix it with ID-Cooling SE-234-ARGB + ADATA XPG D41, 8GB DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL16 X2 but the motherboard is still in pending but i will try to get ASUS TUF B450M-PRO GAMING for it because here in my country the AM4 MB are very low in stocks. I never did an overclock to anything that i owned. But with this one i want to do a safe one if possible. I don`t want to win an award or something but i want to raise it a bit. Can i get a few pointers? On how can i start safe or the simplest method to bump it up.
P.S I might get a ASRock B450 Pro4 if the first one does not arrive in a timely manner.

I`ve read about Ryzen Master a bit and about the memory side of overclocking with the use of Thaiphoon Burner + DRAM Calculator
With those i can do a rather easy overclock? There is a difference from using Ryzen Master vs doing them via BIOS?
Like i said i`m not looking for first place award.
Also from what i have read over the forums the voltages must be below 1.4

Thanks in advance.

AMD has hinted that max safe voltage for CPU is 1.35.

RAM would need to be overclocked from the bios.

What is the main use of your computer? If you are building this primarily for gaming you may not want to overclock the CPU as games generally thrive on high single core speeds. These CPU generally will overclock all cores to a level slightly less than the turbo frequency.

What do you mean by overclock all cores to a level slightly less than the turbo frequency? Are you saying that i should overclock downwards from 3.6 GHZ then why do i overclock it at all. Or the sustained boost frequency in official charts are only for one core? Or what

I'm saying that Ryzen CPUs typically do not overclock all cores to the max turbo frequency. They just won't go that high on all cores at the same time. I'm not telling you to do it on purpose I'm just saying that's all your going to likely get. If your max turbo frequency is 3.6 you may get an all core overclock of 3.45 or 3.5. That would give you slightly higher scores on on something like Cinebench R20 that efficiently uses all the cores and threads you can throw at it. But it may be a disadvantage in games that tend to not be able to use a lot of cores and threads but thrive on high single core speeds.

Dude, the days of high overclocks are over now, both for AMD and Intel. The move to many cores and threads has killed the high overclocks we used to get years ago. It's just impossible to control the power draw and heat when you start overclocking all those cores. These modern CPUs are pretty much maxed out from the factory.

So now a days, the term "overclock" needs to be understood in terms of the base clock value when you're talking about bumping all the cores simultaneously. So for your CPU with a base of 3.2 ghz for all cores, 3.5 ghz would be a .3 ghz overclock but still lower than Turbo boost. Turbo boost only happens to one core at a time.

Last edited:
Then why i do see over YT videos with stock cooler even at 3.8 with 1.2 and some at 4.0 (non stock coolers) with higher voltage if you say i can only go below the boost. Its a question not saying that all of a sudden i`m an ace in this craft. But i don`t understand how this goes.

I could be wrong so I guess you'll just have to find out for yourself when you get the system put together.

I'm basing my predictions on my own experience with a Ryzen 1600, a 2700 and a 3700X. I haven't tried a 1600AF yet. The Ryzen 1600AF is supposed to be basically a rebranded 2600. And I'm talking about a truly stable overclock, not simply something that will boot into Windows and pass a short benchmark. I'm talking about an overclock that will pass a couple of hours of a legitimate stress test like Realbench or AIDA64.

Even bad 2600s could hit 3900MHz. I'm guessing with these AF models overclocking is a thing ;). Here it made 4.2GHz at 1.4v, so I'm guessing a stable 1.35v OC of 3.9 or 4GHz is possible. But there's only one way to find out.

Back