• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Water cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doorknob12349

Hey Everyone First time posting, First Water Cooled PC!
This is going to be my new big rig mostly for gaming with some work and MSCS self study (a few VMs here and there). i all ready have all the components, i got some inside deals on a few and saved up here and there. I'm at my lest set of parts which is all of the Water cooling gear. if i could get some impute before i purchased the parts the would be great.

Dose anyone know if a PWM splitter will work on the Corsair commander mini?

The Corsair 900D has all of the Coldzero plates including the Mid plate. My plan for the loop was to mount the Reservoir off to the right of the Motherboard, then go into the pump mounted on the mid plate into the Bottom 480 Radiator, come back up into the Dual GPU, next into the CPU, onto the top mounted 360 cross-flow Radiator, back into the reservoir. i'm unsure where to put a drain port or what i would need for that, i have removed all drive carriages bellow so there is room below in front of the PSU.

Loop Plan (Ignore the Yellow Circle)

Case with coldzero parts (ignore the yellow Circle)

Computer Specs:

• Case: Corsair 900D with Coldzero Plates
  • PSU: Corsair AIX1200I
  • Motherboard: Asus x99-E WS USB3.1
  • CPU: Intel i7-5930k
  • Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 8x8
  • GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980ti 06G-P4-4995-KR 6GB W/Back-plate
  • SSD: Samsung E 512GB 950PRO M.2
  • 2nd SSD: SAmsung 512GB 950 Pro Sata
  • Fan controller: Corsair Commander min
  • PWM Splitter: SilverStone All Black 1-to-8 PWM Fan Hub (CPF04)

Water Cool Components

• Radiator 1: XSPC EX360 CROSSFLOW SERIES COPPER TRIPLE-FAN RADIATOR
  • Radiator 2: XSPC EX480 COPPER QUAD-FAN RADIATOR - BLACK
  • Reservoir: EK-RES X3 250 RESERVOIR
  • CPU BLock: EK-SUPREMACY EVO NICKEL/PLEXI
  • GPU Blocks: EK-FC TITAN X/GTX980 TI WATERBLOCK - NICKEL
  • GPU SLI Bridge: EK-FC BRIDGE DUAL SERIAL CSQ - PLEXI
  • Pump: EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM ELITE - PLEXI
  • Fittings: RIGID REVOLVER COMPRESSION FITTING 3/8" X 1/2" 10 PACK - DUAL TONE ANODIZED BLACK
  • Tubing: PRIMOCHILL 1/2IN RIGID PETG TUBING - 36IN - CLEAR (12 PACK)
  • Coolant: MAYHEMS PASTEL COOLANT - 1 LITER - PERFECT PINK
  • Fans: CORSAIR AIR SERIES SP120 QUIET EDITION HIGH STATIC PRESSURE 120MM FAN

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks good sans the coolant... If you want color, get colored tubing. :)

Could have saved some cash on the PSU (850W is plenty for that setup, even overclocking both GPUs and CPU).

...otherwise, looks solid to me!

Yea i though about that, i couldn't find the Right color Pink that i was going for. The PremoChill Pink UV tubes put off an odd color with the UV lighting. also like the way the Pastel looks in the clear blocks. When i calculated it out i figured the 1200 would be overkill, but at the time of purchasing the 1200W it was heavily on sale and i figured it give me room to add a 3rd GPU and some more Drives down the road.

drives are nothing... another GPU, ok. I sure hope you are running at least 3 monitors or 4K if you are going triple cards... hell even dual. A single 980ti would easily run 2560x1440 on down.

Just note with some of those coolants... they could clog and stain the loop... this is why we only suggest distilled and phn nuke/silver kill coil.

Anyway, looks like a beast!! I can't wait to see it built! :)

No 4k monitors yet sadly that will be a next year purchase when G-sync comes down in price, though i will probably run it on my Tv for a bit to play with the 4k res. Monitor wise I'm running 3 Asus 27inch 144hz 1080p (VG278HE) with the Nvidia Real 3d glasses, Nvidia 3d needs the extra ram on GPU hence the dual cards.

Everything ED has said is correct.

Do some more research on the colored fluids. They can and will be problematic if the loop isn't maintained, way more frequently than your typical distilled fluid.

You will want a drain port to make your life much easier when maintenance and upgrades, should the need arise.
Nonetheless, this build sounds great. Hope you share a few images with us when all is said and done. :salute:

Well, dual cards vRAM do NOT add up. The data is mirrored. So even though you have 2 6GB cards, you still have 6GB available.

Totally right, complete forgot about that! I cant find the Nvidia Thread i found i on but they mention having the dual GPU will assist in Running 3D since its rendering the image twice. So long as the game supports SLI... if not then hey ill be set for 4k when i can get the monitors :)

Everything ED has said is correct.

Do some more research on the colored fluids. They can and will be problematic if the loop isn't maintained, way more frequently than your typical distilled fluid.

You will want a drain port to make your life much easier when maintenance and upgrades, should the need arise.
Nonetheless, this build sounds great. Hope you share a few images with us when all is said and done. :salute:

Yea i did a lot of Looking on here and a few other forms, Mayhem had the best reviews with no clogging and yearly maintenance. It will discolor the plexi but i don't plan on changing the color if i do i will most likly need to swap out the waterblocks and tubing. Here is a link to how the coolant looks, this build kind of inspired my color choice.

Thing is, most show rigs use colored fluid for show. When you have a home user with color fluid, they either have to maintain it almost every 2 months, if not less or it will stain and clog everything. We've been on repeat the last few months to many new comers who are drooling over the bling factor but don't think about the unintended consequences.

I can post at least 10 links I have saved over the years. All disasters. I can also post this link, where I used distilled (cheap), PHN Nuke (4 drops) and two killcoils (because I had two). I ran my loop for over two years with no maintenance (bad sin on my part) except adding a bit of water every 6 months or so.

You want to see my link? Here ya go.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Hmm-I-guess-I-need-to-tell-you-a-dark-secret

I can post at least 10 links I have saved over the years. All disasters. I can also post this link, where I used distilled (cheap), PHN Nuke (4 drops) and two killcoils (because I had two). I ran my loop for over two years with no maintenance (bad sin on my part) except adding a bit of water every 6 months or so.

You want to see my link? Here ya go.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Hmm-I-guess-I-need-to-tell-you-a-dark-secret

It's funny. I used to have a quote in my signature from Martinsliquidlab stating how his system components needed more of a upgrade than his 2/3+ year coolant. Of course the coolant he was using was distilled water and biocide.

For my Drain port, should i T off after my pump before the 480 rad an connect a valve? I'm think i could remove the bottom from 120 fan since i will be pulling in air from the side and i coudl hide the Valve behind the front panel with easy access.

Yea that would work. Many diff ways, after the pump is good and as low as possible. Get a T fitting add a shutoff valve on the downside outlet.

Just before the pump could introduce a odd bend and 1 out of 100 you could get cavitation in the pump.

A shut off valve with G 1/4 threads on the end so you can connect a bit of hose with a barb would be clean looking, don't need the barb and hose in there till you drain....

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-bp-mvv-mbk-mini-valve-matt-black.html

Last edited:
Back