• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time watercooling questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hi guys,

Looking at getting the Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 case which I want to throw some water cooling into it.

It supports a 280mm radiator at the top and 360mm radiator at the front....What should I consider?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139029

Since this is my first time, should I get an integrated res and radiator?
What about the pump?

This is my goal:
I want a high quality system that will last years.
I want it to be easily upgradeable if I switch CPU's and sockets etc.
CPU ONLY right now. BUT I want to be able to put the GPU later.

What recommendations can you guys give here?

Last edited:
Hey Ps2cho, have you had any previous experience with custom loops? One step at a time. Most of the products out there are quality products which will serve you long enough IF you maintain them properly and use the correct fluids and biocides. Any custom loop is easily upgradeable when it comes to blocks: get out the old, put the new one in, leak test, remove air from the system, run it! Now,for the pump I like Laing DDC 1T-Pro, 10W should do for your loop. I wouldn't go 360 rad since your case is not that big, and a general rule of the thumb is that you need an 120.1 rad for each block on your pc. So I would go 240 or 280 depending ofc on the heat dessipation I need. I would go for a 5,25" bay res rather than res/rad integrated.

Read the water cooling stickies is the first thing I would do...

Second, I have that case and have a 2x120mm up top and a 3x120mm in the front (contrary to what itachiii believes). Not to mention, his general rule of thumb is a bit off as it depends wildly on what you are putting under the block as to how much radiator you need. For example, I throw a G3258 under it, 120mm worth of rad is enough. Throw a 5930K on there and you are looking at least 2x120mm. Last, when choosing a bay res for the 540, you need to make sure the bay res can be stood up on its side and function as the 5.25" bays are not horizontal as in a typical case. That said, I would not do a pump/res combo in those bays. the EK res does a great job in that case mounted on top of the SSD's through that rear grating.

If you are going to cool a GPU eventually, go 2x120mm up top and 2x120mm up front and that should be enough for most setups to get better than air temps and quiet operation.

Read the water cooling stickies is the first thing I would do...

Second, I have that case and have a 2x120mm up top and a 3x120mm in the front (contrary to what itachiii believes). Not to mention, his general rule of thumb is a bit off as it depends wildly on what you are putting under the block as to how much radiator you need. For example, I throw a G3258 under it, 120mm worth of rad is enough. Throw a 5930K on there and you are looking at least 2x120mm. Last, when choosing a bay res for the 540, you need to make sure the bay res can be stood up on its side and function as the 5.25" bays are not horizontal as in a typical case. That said, I would not do a pump/res combo in those bays. the EK res does a great job in that case mounted on top of the SSD's through that rear grating.

If you are going to cool a GPU eventually, go 2x120mm up top and 2x120mm up front and that should be enough for most setups to get better than air temps and quiet operation.

Still young and learning! :D

Perhaps observe a bit more in areas you are not confident in is my suggestion. Poor/incorrect advice is worse than no advice. I like the zeal, but its not helpful when it is wrong. :)

EarthDog,

Since you got one of this 540 case. I am thinking snag one of this when it is on Sale. I got a EX360 30mm thick radiator and a 240mm Monsta 80mm thick lay around. I want to know can the Monsta 240mm be mount on the top? will it clear? This is of course will push setup.

I'll answer the slight hijack... :)

It depends. LOL. It depends on the height of the VRM heatsink on the top of the motherboard. The 120mm mount is offset away from the mobo tray, but my ASUS X79 Gene is really close. Much taller and it wouldn't work. You also need to consider the GPU length with a thick rad and fans on the front. With a thick rad in front, chances are you may need to remove the dust filter and mount the fans in front and have the rad inside. But you have a normal rad so only the longest of GPUs would you need to worry there. I have a 295x2 at nearly 12" so I have the fans mounted where the dust filter was, and the rad inside which leaves me around an inch or so.

I don't think the monsta will fit. I think the most popular rads that give a little wiggle room in the 540 are the Alphacool ST30 rads.

I think ATM has a water cooled 540 as a few guys have done a few 540 build log on here and suggest having a look at those after reading our water cooling stickies.

Take your time and read all you can OP. It's important when going into custom water cooling. Once all is said and done, it will be worth all the patience and energy put into this.

As for the rule of thumb, its usually 120.1 per 100w.

Last edited:
I did the same thing as ATM did in my 540. I have the thick rad up top and the thin up front. ;)

Thanks for the 120.1 per 100W confirmation. :)

Back