• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time watercooling. Would love someone to look over my part choices.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Using the D5 still? Look up the Monsoon.

Yes looking at the D5 still it looks like a solid all around pump. Nice looking res but I have been trying to avoid using a bay res as the cosmos 2 has very limited bay space especially with a 120.3 rad going up top. Was looking more towards on that could sit elsewhere.

Hard to do with a D5. Look around at your available stores to see what pump/res combos you can get.

The D5 is so big for what it does and it's design isn't the best for pump/res combos except bays due to it's case design.

A 35x and the V2 restop is awesome, works great. Martin reviews it if your interested.

Hard to do with a D5. Look around at your available stores to see what pump/res combos you can get.

The D5 is so big for what it does and it's design isn't the best for pump/res combos except bays due to it's case design.

A 35x and the V2 restop is awesome, works great. Martin reviews it if your interested.

What about http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33359 plus http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31134 ?

The computer will be left alone for several hours a day so the redundency would be nice as long as I can fit it in the cosmos 2.

My understanding is this pump needs a heat sink is that correct?

You come up with some way. I used thin velcro strips on two sides of the bottom, gave me about 3/8" space on both of my DDC 3.2's I had and my rad fans blew in the general direction Some use sticky foam in the corners. Some made their own metal brackets. You just do it.

Sure, how will you mount it to something? It comes with standoffs I think. Mine did for my single pump. You only need one pump anyway for your loop. If my CPU temps go to xx (meaning pump failure) my PC shuts down. In my BIOS.

Sure, how will you mount it to something? It comes with standoffs I think. Mine did for my single pump. You only need one pump anyway for your loop. If my CPU temps go to xx (meaning pump failure) my PC shuts down. In my BIOS.

Yes it comes with standoffs. I know of the automated shutdown due to temps I would just prefer to not allow the temps to get that high if I can avoid it. As far as mounting it to something I figured if it is on the standoffs I could just bind it to the mount for the hard drive bays.

Would running the fans and the pumps off the processor pwm with the proper spliters be an issue since they have different speed ranges?

Yes. The pump should run off the CPU header. The fans should be run off a fan controller. You need no fancy fan speed auto adjustment. Buy a good controller for the fans you want PWM or voltage controlled. That's up to you.

Time for you to read our front page about fan controller reviews and do some legwork about this stuff. 49 posts and not done yet........................

Yes. The pump should run off the CPU header. The fans should be run off a fan controller. You need no fancy fan speed auto adjustment. Buy a good controller for the fans you want PWM or voltage controlled. That's up to you.

Time for you to read our front page about fan controller reviews and do some legwork about this stuff. 49 posts and not done yet........................

Is there any reason to use a fan controller when all the fans are pwm and the mother board specs say 8 x 4-pin Fan connectors: 2 x CPU / 3 x Chassis / 3 x Optional? All I should need is to make sure the motherboard is not powering them and just controlling them correct?

IF you can control them all. Read mobo specs VERY close and understand the BIOS for the fans, what you can control etc.

Ok nothing the manual says indicates I can not do that so long as I do not power them using the motherboard. Thanks for all your help. Time to read more before I get to my building time frame.

Found a review video for ASUS suite II, your mobo software. Only has fan speed control for the CPU and chassis fan. The rest can only be monitored. That's okay though. You can use the CPU header for the pump speed control and use the system fan header PWM output to something like the Swiftech PWM header thingy they sell, has PWM input, a molex for power and 8 PWM outputs all driven by the input signal. The software lets you set up your RPM and temp curves.

That should work pretty good.

Still reading more............... I'll update

Found a review video for ASUS suite II, your mobo software. Only has fan speed control for the CPU and chassis fan. The rest can only be monitored. That's okay though. You can use the CPU header for the pump speed control and use the system fan header PWM output to something like the Swiftech PWM header thingy they sell, has PWM input, a molex for power and 8 PWM outputs all driven by the input signal. The software lets you set up your RPM and temp curves.

That should work pretty good.

Still reading more............... I'll update

That is odd the manual for the mother board says all 8 are 4 pin pwm. Might some be controllable by the software while others are automated by bios?

Usually not all are controllable. Seen that in Mobos for years. Being 4 pin and having PWM control circuits and the software written for them is a profit thing. Nothing new. You'll just have to see unless you can find more than I did.

Can't help you more on that. Maybe the ASUS forums can help you.

Still, my solution would work fine.

Usually not all are controllable. Seen that in Mobos for years. Being 4 pin and having PWM control circuits and the software written for them is a profit thing. Nothing new. You'll just have to see unless you can find more than I did.

Can't help you more on that. Maybe the ASUS forums can help you.

Still, my solution would work fine.

Understandable companies are after the profits after all. Thanks for all the help. Will post pics here after i build it in a month or two hopefully with no more questions before hand and even more reading done.

Understandable companies are after the profits after all. Thanks for all the help. Will post pics here after i build it in a month or two hopefully with no more questions before hand and even more reading done.

:thup: Can't wait to see some pics. :salute:

Back