• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time WC build, advice please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only issue with putting a 120 in the front is I have 5HD and not enough space for any more than 1 4xHD holder in the front, so I would have to scrap one of the HDs in my array. Honestly though I kind of like the look of the rads on the back. Is there any benefit to having them internal vs. external? Personally I would think external would be better so they are not releasing heat in an enclosed case. I don't mind the extra bulk of them on the outside as the case isn't going anywhere, and I really have no need/desire to move it anyway.

Last edited:
First off, watercool the NB can be tricky. Your Mobo has no current WC block on it now right? You pull the massive air NB cooling block off to WC it, you lose the heatpipes to the SB and mosfets. You'll need to replace all the stuff, expensive. Have ya thought (you didn't mention) ghettoing a 80mm or so fan on the heatsink? I have used the Antec SpotCool on a rig or two, pretty cheap and is a great help.

It's just a real hassle once you remove the integrated NB heatpipe system. Adding a NB block isn't a big issue for heat if you decide to later, they don't add a ton of heat. Now removing the whole thing at once and redoing the TIM under the NB and putting it all back on has seen some improvement in temps, my first try and added NB fannage. Try fannage first.

So, you wanna cool a HOT Quad and overclock and a 4870x2? I'd think about this:

Get a quality 120.3 sized rad with quality HS fans, get a fan controller to turn them down for non gaming times. I just feel your close to max and the HS fans will give you a margin of error. Can you fit a Feser/XSPC/Thermochill rad in the front? It might be too wide or too tall. Or, you can hang one off the back of your case really easy. If it HAS to be internal, I have seen a MCR320 fit in the front.

Your gonna cut it close to stay as good as your best air temps but maybe it can be done.

Best temps:

Depending on your budget/noise handling remember this.
Feser/XSPC/Thermochill rads and Medium quiet fans, on silent when not gaming
MCR series for medium fans, almost as good as the above
BIX II series for max cooling and massive fannage. Forget quiet.

120.3 off the back of the case
120.2 as intake
Run a GOOD pump. Your 655 vario is fine. The 355 with the aftermarket XSPC top is nice, built in res and better flow rates. IF you run two rads it will add restriction (a bit) and having an uber pump and res in one is real nice. Not saying the 655 and a T-line for filling isn't a good budget solution.

Swiftech GTZ CPU block, nuff said. Others are as good, but this one rocks.

GPU blocks. I can link you to many threads about these blocks you chose. Not as pretty but awesome flow rates and built in standoffs and a great guy to work with. Get the Danger Den block. You won't be unhappy. And here is a link of why I won't buy an EK block as of now....., for your card for sure.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202674

So, we covered your min needs, my input on rads and pumps and blocks, rest is gravy.

If you go the 120x3 and the 120x2 your temps on one loop will be great, really great. Do ya need it? Sounds like you want big overclocks and probably the GPU too. Thats why I said two rads in total, one loop. You'd be fine to add a WC NB on that so no worries.

First off, watercool the NB can be tricky. Your Mobo has no current WC block on it now right? You pull the massive air NB cooling block off to WC it, you lose the heatpipes to the SB and mosfets. You'll need to replace all the stuff, expensive. Have ya thought (you didn't mention) ghettoing a 80mm or so fan on the heatsink? I have used the Antec SpotCool on a rig or two, pretty cheap and is a great help.

It's just a real hassle once you remove the integrated NB heatpipe system. Adding a NB block isn't a big issue for heat if you decide to later, they don't add a ton of heat. Now removing the whole thing at once and redoing the TIM under the NB and putting it all back on has seen some improvement in temps, my first try and added NB fannage. Try fannage first.

This isn't an issue on the Rampage Extreme only on the Striker Formula board. On the Rampage Extreme the NB already has a WC Block on it which I removed for an included Heatsink, but the NB Heatsink/block is run completely separate from the piping for the rest of the mobo, so if I replace the NB I won't have to replace anything else like the mosfet or SB heatsinks.

If I do go for cooling just the GPU and CPU is one 120.3 rad going to be enough (Strike this I see your second post :))? As I said the rear of the case would be my goal as I don't mind seeing it outside of the case.

Also the Scythe G fans (which I am assuming are new as I havent read anything on them before) are pretty impressive looking fans, though if you have a better fan in mind I would love to hear it. I like the look of the XSPC RX360 and if I can get away with just one Rad I think that would be the one I went with.

Also is there any validity/value to adding shrouds and fans to both sides of the rad? Or even just fans on both sides with no shrouds?

Here is fan linkage. Never ever trust retail fan info, read solid non-biased reviews.

Mkae sure you read review one and three.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661

I think you add a NB to any 120x3 rad your pushing the limit for sure, your CPU won't be happy, your delta will suck. But every rig is diff. Your so close to having to go to TWO fully seperate loops if you must push overclocks to the max if you bios mod the GPU. Most use a 120x3 for the CPU/NB and to keep the CPU happy have a seperate GPU loop if they are obsessed, and I am close to that, as you read and see the crazy, you'll get it. Meaning an extra pump etc, TWO loops. This means a dedication and obsession to buying a huge case. Ever hear of Monster Mods cases?

I have to ask, is it worth having silly crazy overclocks on the CPU? Would you be happy with a good overclock to save $300?

Shrouds add a bit of cooling, small improvement, your mileage can vary. Fannage on both sides helps, it adds price and noise. The right fan choice precludes spending $$ on buying more later.

Your close to having to go big, think of slapping a 120x4 off the back, you'll be fine with a CPU/NB/GPU and high overclocks. Darn thing is huge LOL! Great cooling, run medium fans on a controller, crank up to game, your golden. Best, really is best option to give you wiggle room for overclocks.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/fexqu12ra.html

Alright a quad rad and I should be good to go. Glad to hear that. I will have to measure out my case and see what kind of clearance I have here with that rad, though I think it will still be hidden behind the case (The 1200 is a beast).

I was considering doing a separate loop for the GPU, but I think on my first WC build I was to stick with a single loop, and then later on if I need it switch to a two loop.

Now cooling wise, how do you think the quad rad compares to the stacked 320 Swiftech rad?

Well, problem with a stacked MCR320 is the second rad loses efficiency. How much in real use is still out to jury. If you ONLY have room for the 320 stacked (like some cases internal) I think it's equal to a 480 rad. One issue I have seen is they have to sandwich another 3 fans to keep noise and cooling okay. Think how thick the darn thing is, fans/rad/fans/rad. It's still a kinda new concept sine Swift came out with the fittings on both sides of the rad.

So I dunno. Nice thing about the quad I linked it's made for low speed fans. It's really thick, has open fin design. It can pull a TON of heat being it's a 480 and cools very well quietly.

The MCR 320 stacked will do as well but will be louder.

A WCer who has a 320 single and wants more can easily add a stackable 320 if they needed it, it's kinda an addon for he already WC'ed guy.

Please look at the cheapo and used by tons of peeps the Petras Yate Loon fans. I'm serious, you will get a million of 'yes, best fan for price' replies. There are slightly better more expensive fans. Why pay more?

Alright so I have done a LOT of digging today, and a bit of talking to some old friends who are into the WC scene. I have changed some of the items around and here is now the semi-final specs for the WC system:

CPU - Heatkiller CPU Rev3.0 775

GPU - EK-FC4870 X2 - CF Nickel

NB - Swiftech MCW-NBMAX

Radiator - Feser X-Changer Triple 360 mm Extreme Performance Radiator - (Rear external mount) or the XSPC RX360 Radiator - Both with MCB-120 Radbox

Fans - 3x Scythe "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan 3000RPM

Reservoir - XSPC Reservoir top for MCP355

Pump - MCP355 with top from Reshe
Tubing - Tygon Clear Tubing 7/16 ID 5/8 OD

Fittings -Bitspower Silver Compression Fitting - 7/16" to 5/8" - BP-CPF-CC6

Coolant - Distilled water + PT_Nuke + Feser View Active UV Dye - 50 ml - Clear/UV Blue

I am leaning towards the Feser Rad, but still not sure on that part.

Also anyone actually use the HelixCoils by XSPC which go around your tubing? Are they needed?

Never heard of that CPU block before. You check any reviews on it compared to the Dtek and Apogee?

Supposed to be the best block for 775 CPUs. Beats the Apogee and the D-Tek by a decent margin from all the reviews I have seen.

Heat ciols can give bling to tubing, thats about it. And it can be a pain to get evenly spaced and takes forever to wrap around tubing. It can help on tight bends but you shouldn't have an issue. So don't buy it unless you need it. If a kink shows up then just put a wiretie around it and get the stuff later. No worries.

Rad is good. Why those fans? If you really look at rad charecteristics, your heatload etc, your going WAYY overboard on fans. They are expensive and can have a odd anoyying clicking sound when undervolted. And Once you hook them up you WILL want to quit them down with a fan controller. They are monster fans and best left to the BIX II rad users and peeps who do nothing but bench for overclocks. Your choice tho.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/

Your doing great, thats all I see as any issues. The CPU block is as good as a GTZ or a few others.

Well, I see overpriced compression fittings, but thats it. They do look nice, but no benefit from using them.

I am still not 100% on this list, so I am going to do a bit more research into the fans, as well as looking at the Loon fans. I already have a decent controller so that shouldnt be a problem though. As for the compression fittings, those are just an idea I am working with right now. I really have no idea whether I am going to go barbed or compression yet.

CGR I will try and find some reviews for the heatsink and link them up.

Xtreme systems is the top place for watercooling. They like it, good block. As good or better as others? Dunno.
I got a GTZ waiting for my uber tech station to get off the boat from Italy, grr but thats commerce. You got the HK at a good price, it's cool, no worries. Great block from reviews.

Man, ya don't need these fans, thats all. Yate Loons from Petras, even their HS ones is more than enuff.

Back