• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First try on Dice, Results and Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ONE of the best advises that I can pass on for DICE benching. Once you start your Benching runs do not stop until you are done. Even a short 30sec break could allow condensation to form under the CPU. That's what I got from the guys when I first started :) Use a rubber band around the towel to keep it on the pot. Did you have fans on top of the pot to blow away any extra coldness.

Thanks

MM

So just for a little classification to make sure I understand. Are you saying not to allow more than 30 seconds between running a benchmark, or between restarts, or ?.

As for the rubber bands I will keep that in mind.

I did have a fan off to the side blowing up at the top of the pot. I couldn't figure out a good way to mount it on the pot so I compromised.

I think he just means don't let the ice build up melt and then refreeze. Keep everything below freezing if you can.

I like to use the rubber coated cable ties. I couldn't find a pic of my setup (odd) so here's a real short clip. I cut the large bulbous tips off one of the ties and stripped them down to the wire for the fanext mount.

I'm using paper towel and packing tape to hold it in place. Works good enough for me so I stick to that ;)

I think he just means don't let the ice build up melt and then refreeze. Keep everything below freezing if you can.

I like to use the rubber coated cable ties. I couldn't find a pic of my setup (odd) so here's a real short clip. I cut the large bulbous tips off one of the ties and stripped them down to the wire for the fanext mount.

That makes sense will keep that in mind going forward.

I'm using paper towel and packing tape to hold it in place. Works good enough for me so I stick to that

What no Duct Tape?

Blay is that Video you ? :) now I under stand lochekey pics been hanging out with the AMD guys to long :D joking john

My pot looks like this at all times
20160305_160357.jpg

On setting he pot correctly, you lose visual of it from the thick foam:( I think this is how Blay also does it. Use 4 pieces of paper towels that are cut around the CPU socket. USE a generic mouse pad that is cut closer to the cup socket than the foam was. Take 2 of the paper towels and put them down first (The other 2 are used on the back side. Then put the mouse pad down. I fill the void with eraser.

Here is another noob to stay away from :rofl:
LET comes in 4 different colors - Black, Red, Green, and white. When using LET please use a color That is as close to your PCB's natural color :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya that's me. Not sure how you can tell I was benching AMD from that though (I was).

I love the C-clamp QF! I've used the quick clamps for the same purpose but they have the rubber sleeves on them. Yours look like its bare metal. :shock:

My point wasn't if you where running AMD or Intel(like I said I was joking) but my first thought when I saw the video I was hoping that was when you where at witchy's place and was running LN2?

LOL, no that was just at my house.

Pretty close MM. I use a cut Sham-Wow and mouse pad layered for dice or sub ambient water.

Edit: On this board I have LET too. That's permanent for this one as I only use it for benching.

On setting he pot correctly, you lose visual of it from the thick foam:( I think this is how Blay also does it. Use 4 pieces of paper towels that are cut around the CPU socket. USE a generic mouse pad that is cut closer to the cup socket than the foam was. Take 2 of the paper towels and put them down first (The other 2 are used on the back side. Then put the mouse pad down. I fill the void with eraser.

Here is another noob to stay away from :rofl:
LET comes in 4 different colors - Black, Red, Green, and white. When using LET please use a color That is as close to your PCB's natural color :)

My point wasn't if you where running AMD or Intel(like I said I was joking) but my first thought when I saw the video I was hoping that was when you where at witchy's place and was running LN2?

LOL, no that was just at my house.

Pretty close MM. I use a cut Sham-Wow and mouse pad layered for dice or sub ambient water.

Edit: On this board I have LET too. That's permanent for this one as I only use it for benching.

blay don'y think you where in the right tread ?

No I was, Just didn't quote so it made it confusing. Sorry. :)

Lochekey as you see no going live this weekend as you see sorry,Been working on the wife's car for the last two days trying to figure out why it wouldn't turn over came down to the NSS
20160514_145853[1].jpg
took it apart and cleaned up -back in business :)

But don't look like I will be taking the 754 cold after scotty said about 99.9% of the chips cold bug most likely going with a cold loop

Hey Quickfast no worries. My one horse dropped a foal on Friday so I've been tied up with that anyways. Good thing Scotty chimed in and saved you some time.

You guys can always ask about the older platforms. I'm not opposed to sharing info. ;)
Very few benches come down to "secret" tweaks anymore. The hardware either clocks or it doesn't. Mostly luck of the draw.
Keep it fun. :thup:

scotty you know I got no shame in my game.I got know idea about AMD so you are the first person I ask(about the older platforms) and no not going with cold loop I don't do water so am looking in other ways to take dry ice -don't know if it will work but your team seen my 850xt pe just hoping my 2500+ could perform :) Like I told my team I'll be happy with 30 bionts so yeah not looking to to take first with a NCS board :D

My 850xt pe is a crappy clocker so I will rely on Macsbeach for that. I have a couple chips that will go though, so we'll see what happens in % of OC.
I'm kinda in the same position as you. My chiller dips into the CB range, so I have to manually throttle it.

I was just playing can't remember what my 850 was running at but looks like MAC might of got a new one so I am a little worried :)

Scotty just got my NCS board to run form AMD Hammer mode to VRM9.0 mode this is why I love this hobby(voltage controller ISL6566)but don't look like I'm going to place hitting a FSB wall with my 2500+

Back