• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First water cooling build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cswann821

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm about to build my first super gaming computer, and was looking into liquid cooling the cpu at least, to begin with. A little about the basics of my setup....

Case: MountainMODS: U2-UFO:
MB: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe GEN3
GP: Radeon HD7970-- until gen 3 cards come out.
Processor: I5--until ivy bridge comes out.
260gig SSD
1tera-western digital.
ect. ect.

None the less, as my first water cooling adventure... I just went onto DangerDen.com, did some basic reading and put together this basic setup.
Any suggestions? I diffenatley would like leak free fittings, any suggestion on going quick disconnect vs compression?? I went with the bigger radiator in case I get into cooling my GPU down the road.

So the cooling setup I have so far is

BLOCK: MC-TDX Block
Reservoir: FrozenQ Liquid Fusion V Series (The double Helix reservoir)
Radiator: Black ICE GTX 240 (Suggestions for LED fans that are quit?)
PUMP: DD-CPX-pro (large enouph for future expansion to gpu cooling?)

Fittings and tubing: 1/2ID- tygon

Thanks,

Chris.

If this is your first time - read the stickies above. It should give you an overall idea about watercooling.

Compression vs barb is down to personal choice and budget. Either one will provide a leak free when used/tighten properly.

I have (2) sets of QD, but havent used it yet since im in the midst of upgrading/replacing my rig. But i have read some quality issues of newer style of QD. Wont know yet until i sort my rig.

You should probably consider buying across multiple vendors...specifically staying away from DD cpu blocks, they haven't been relevant in a long time (though the M6 might change that...we'll see what the data says)...read the sticky, you'll get the idea.

You bought yourself a flow issue, I have 4 of those dd mc-tdx blocks, good block, cheap on ebay and you can fix the flow issue,

A very old block, not up to newer CPUs.
Smallish size, high fin count, air rstrictive, need high RPM fans. Not quiet LOL. And too small for a CPU/GPU loop in 90% of most setups.
Pump might be okay, maybe not.

Hopefully you didn't buy anything yet. Please spend a few days in the stickies up top before doing anything else.

yup I havent bought it yet. diffenately reading. Will just stick with the stickys suggestions and reviews on blocks to be sure im purchasing quality the first time. I'm also looking into Fan contollers. Are these absolutly needed? When do i know I'll need one versus letting the MB controll speeds.

Back