• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fit A 140mm Res In My Mid Tower H440 Case With Minimal Case Modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oxynutz

Registered
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Just cleared enough space to get it in there. Happy with the result.

Attachments

• Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
    Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
  • Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 143
Nice. Isn't the secondary PCIE slot make the card run in 8x mode instead of 16x?

From what I'm reading in his manual as long as it's a single card installed in slots 1 or 2 (it's in slot 2) it will run at x16.

Looking at the pics from the OCF review (link) it would run in x8.

I must not be seeing what pics you're referring too. Here's what I'm looking at.

Dino said:
The PCI-E expansion slot area shows we have three PCI-E 2.0 x1 slots, two PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots, and one PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot. A single video card can operate at x16 speed, and a two card SLI/Crossfire setup will run at x8/x8 speeds.

mark s 1.PNG

Where is is saying that slot 2 will run at x8?

I must not be seeing what pics you're referring too. Here's what I'm looking at.

View attachment 200234

Where is is saying that slot 2 will run at x8?

That is just stating the slots are physically x16 length. Look at the back of the motherboard and you'll see they're only soldered to x8 for slots 4 and 6.
Picture title is "Naked Motherboard – Bottom Side" that I'm referring to.

:-/ Those sneaky sons-a-....

Very good catch Mr. INSIDE.

Well, it's not like the OP has much choice in the matter. It doesn't look like that Res/Pump will fit anywhere that wont interfere with slot 1.

I figured the secondary PCIE slot would run the card in 8X mode. A sacrifice had to be made in order to shove that 140mm res in that tiny space.

Wondering if the OP's gaming performance is neutered?

:-/ Those sneaky sons-a-....

Very good catch Mr. INSIDE.

Well, it's not like the OP has much choice in the matter. It doesn't look like that Res/Pump will fit anywhere that wont interfere with slot 1.

Very typical for all motherboard manufacturers.

I figured the secondary PCIE slot would run the card in 8X mode. A sacrifice had to be made in order to shove that 140mm res in that tiny space.

Likely 1-2% or less.

That is just stating the slots are physically x16 length. Look at the back of the motherboard and you'll see they're only soldered to x8 for slots 4 and 6.
Picture title is "Naked Motherboard – Bottom Side" that I'm referring to.

You know I actually fell for that, figured it was 16x until I went into my BIOS after a cmos reset and saw it ran at 8x, it's still pci-e 3.0

Very typical for all motherboard manufacturers.

Likely 1-2% or less.

After some minor research it seems like there is negligible difference for my gpu.

Something I'm curious about is if my card can utilize enough bandwidth to actually be restricted by 8x speeds. My guess is no considering the benchmarking I just ran 6 minutes ago. I wish I had a deeper knowledge of bus width vs actual memory interface speed of my 1070.

ad256c3ef7921512aa7a3378ccdbb1c8.png

I wouldn't sweat it. My baseline Heaven run for my 1070:

1070.JPG

Like ATM said, little under 2% difference. Margin of error stuff. Although some OC and those numbers can come way up.

Last edited:
Yup... less than 1FPS difference, that's your 1% margin of error :)

It can clock a lot higher, though. I've gotten 3409 in Heaven with a LE BIOS and a hammer. LOL

haven't tried to OC my gpu, not really even sure if "SC" means anything... superclock vs. overclock? pretty sure the word "super" has always been used as an exaggerated adj throughout it's entire existence haha.

thanks for your informed response alaric

You're fine at PCIe x8. You'd only see the difference if you wanted to count for every FPS say if you were running 1080p, 1440p or 4K in triple screen surround. That's where it's utilized the most, otherwise you're good to go.

Btw, well done on your rig. You worked with what you got and it came out nice.

You're fine at PCIe x8. You'd only see the difference if you wanted to count for every FPS say if you were running 1080p, 1440p or 4K in triple screen surround. That's where it's utilized the most, otherwise you're good to go.

Btw, well done on your rig. You worked with what you got and it came out nice.

Thanks, this was a huge exercise in planning for me, it's also a full aluminum loop which added another layer of limited amount of compatible parts.

And I was remiss in not echoing this sentiment. That's a very nice, and nice looking, rig you built. :thup:

Thanks Alaric. You played a part in it because you gave me the link for the aluminum koolance rad that I'm now using (painted it with "aluminum" spray paint).

Back