• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[FIX] Battlefield 3 - FIx for Crashs on 32 Bit WIndows!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryurial

Registered
Credit to Ketchupzz.

I've been able to play for an hours without crash :thup:

NOT 100% GUARANTEED, BUT PRETTY GOOD NONETHELESS - MANY PEOPLE REPORTING SUCCESS.

*******************32BIT ONLY - DON'T WORK ON 64BIT USERS***********************

I've been having the crash problem - games in MP crashing in ~5mins, and SP crashing every so often. Found the solution from another game actually where I was having a similar problem - Empire: Total War.

BE AWARE, THIS IS ONLY A WORKAROUND - THE ISSUE STILL NEEDS TO BE FIXED. THIS IS A FIX FOR THOSE RUNNING 32BIT WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS VISA WITH 4GB RAM OR MORE.

From here on, I'm copy-pasting the instructions. This works for both Vista and W7.

What does it do?
It has to do two things that both rely on each other to work. For 32 bit operating systems we have to tell the operating system it can use more than 2GB user address space, 2.5GB actually, while leaving 1.5Gb for the kernel.

What does it help with?
This is not the solution for all crashes. It deals primarily with the crash to desktop that is caused by lack of virtual address space.Due to the unique nature of how addresses are mapped differently on each machine this crash may happen at different places and times of the game, even loading a map, menu or waiting on an AI turn. If you try this fix, and you follow directions properly, and it doesn't help you then your crash is due to something else.

How do I do it?
Follow directions explicitly. I have seen people consistently skip steps or not read the directions properly so it doesn't work for them whne they don't do what it says. it's not as complicated as it sounds, I'm just being thorough.

APPLY THE WORKAROUND (juicy caramel center)

Requirements

Only real requirements is that you have atleast 2GB RAM. You don't need beyond that even though we are allowing addressing up to 2.5 GB. Also following instructions and being somewhat familiar with working with files in windows is required. Make sure you are using Vista SP1. If not then you need this hotfix that fixes a major blunder with Vista address space - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 [support.microsoft.com]
That's all, follow the 3 steps.

1) Prepare the operating system to be able to use beyone 2GB address space with a userva of 2.5GB (only 32 bit OS's need to do this): I am purposely using only 2500 for userva for specific reasons and any more will likely not be needed, as a result the kernel will have plenty of space to play in.

Windows 7/Windows Vista
* In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
* In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500. Then hit enter.
* Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
* Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
* Changes take effect on reboot but don't reboot yet.

SUMMARY
We extended the user virtual address space in XP, Vista and 7 to 2500MB, so now applications can utilize up to that much if they are set to be Large Address Aware. While some 32 bit games/applications are set, Battlefield 3 is not.

2) Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

TO UNDO THE CHANGES

For Vista 32 Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
Reboot and you are back to normal.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF THIS WORKS COME BACK AND BUMP TO HELP OTHERS

----------------

64 bit users could try to change to 3500 or 4000 and see if it fixes... but you would need to have more than 4gb memory on your pc!!!

Last edited:
im using
windows 7 ultimate 32bit
intel dual core e2200 2.20ghz
gt 520
ram 4gb...
is that means i have to do the same like you do ?like you change the ram 2.5gb to 2500..how about my ram 4gb ??is that means i have to change it to 4000 or else ??

Back