• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FIX: DFI P965-S no sound in Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necostanzo

First time poster....I wanted to share my results because this motherboard has issues with installing Windows 8 and not having any sound...Here is what will happen when you install Win 8: install will work fine and everything will be recognized except you will get a device error for HD audio...after researching the specs you will determine that you have a realtek ALC882 audio chipset...you will go to the Realtek website and download the latest Win8x64 drivers for this chipset and then install...viola, nothing happens and it won't work...you will search for multiple drivers and nothing works...I almost gave up and tried the following (which worked):

#1. Download the following drivers: Vista 32/64 bit audio drivers from here http://driverscollection.com/?H=INFINITY P965-S&By=DFI

#2. Unzip folder

#3. Find install file, right click on it, select "troubleshoot compatibility"...choose "it worked in a previous version of windows" and "requires special permissions"...then select "test"

#4. During the "test" run it will install correctly and you will now have sound...close out of the troubleshooter

I'm documenting this because I had to reinstall Win 8 on this computer and I forgot what I originally did to get the sound working. So, I am hopefully going to help someone as well as help myself if I ever have to wipe again.

Not sure why it didn't work with the Realtek drivers, but it works now and I hope that I save one person from having to buy a audio card to fix this issue in Win 8.

Thx, Nick

Yeah I know it's an old board, but win 8 actually runs pretty good. For $39 it easily extends the service life of this setup a couple more years, maybe more since it is used primarily for internet and school work.

Back