• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixing darkening crt. Voltage adjustments and whatnot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yensen

So my trusty 21" Viewsonic P225F has had the "old crt-monitor sickness" for quite some time now. Namely darker areas of pictures or video being completely black, or close to it.

On this test page 1-5 are completely black on the Quick Contrast Test, and on the Black Level Test only 30, 40 and 255 are distinguishable from the rest: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php It's getting somewhat annoying. (Obviously I've played around with all the monitor settings.)

So I decided I'd get a new lcd monitor. I wanted a 1920x1200 23-26" monitor, but after three days of googling and hunting for reviews and prices I have come up with diddly squat. I read some threads about the phasing out of 1920x1200 monitors in favor of 1080p televisions, and I'm saddened by what I'm seeing. I run the crt @ 1600x1200 and I don't want to lose vertical real estate as I do a lot of reading/coding on it. (A 30" 2560x1600 is above my current budget).

So I started looking for ways to fix my crt monitor instead. After hours of searching all I've found are sketchy forum posts about 'turning' the resistor to the 'cannon' to increase to voltage and thus brightening the monitor, while shortening it's life (which is fine), or adding wires to the 'flyback' or some such. I'm not unfamiliar with electronics and I consider myself as being pretty handy, but without more detailed instructions or a picture or two I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've never rummaged around inside a crt-monitor before.

So what I'm asking for, my dear OC-community are links to more/better info on fixing dark crt-monitors, or 1920x1200 lcd recommendations. I don't really want to spend more than say 300€ for a 24", although if I get frustrated I might rage-order the HP ZR24W for 395€ :rolleyes:

Looking forward to your interesting and awesome replies :thup:

P.S. Panel type doesn't matter as long as it's a quality monitor. (No backlight bleeding, laggy, 8-bit color paperweight :D)

P.P.S Largely the same rig as in the sig, but now using a 8800 gt 512mb and more RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047

I have the 1920 x 1080 version of this monitor.. I have had it for about a year now and it is a very nice item.. Just a suggestion!

Ah yes, the VH266 was a strong contender when I was researching monitors. Though some people said that because it's a TN panel and so big, the color gets distorted at the bottom and/or top inch(es) of the screen. Can anyone confirm or deny this? (guess it depends on the viewing distance)

Thanks for the suggestion :thup:

Back