• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flame Polishing....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiseass

I saw a post in another thread about this. I am going to be making myself a nice case out of lexan/plastic and want to know more about this "flame polishing" the edges. How does it work and what does it do? Is there a link to a faq/tutorial that shows how to do it?

I'm thinking I want this case to be as nice as possible and want to clean up the edges as good as I can.

Also what is a decent bit to use on the dremel to cut lexan/plexi? I Saw someone reccomended the fiberglass cutoff wheel, but wouldn't that melt the plastic?

tutorial for flame polishing = scrap lexan....lol.

I'm not sure this sort of thing can be taught. Basically you take a butane torch and melt the plastic. How well it works depends entirely on the composition of the plastic, and the temperature of the torch.

as I said, just grab a scrap piece of plastic and go at it. See what works and what doesn't. What you do is you take a scrap piece, scratch the hell out of it with sandpaper and a nail (for light and deep scratches) and then take the torch to it. You don't want it close enough to burn it or leave a mark....you just want to melt the plastic a bit so it clears up and fills in the scratches. Well, on second thought, since you're just trying to smooth edges, you might just want to make a rough, jagged cut on the scrap lexan and try to smooth it out.

Just keep practicing, i'm sure you'll get it eventually. Just be careful.....you are working with a CHEMICAL (the plastic) and it emits fumes when you burn it....wear a properly rated mask...painters mask or something. That, and you are working with a butane torch.....butane torch = teh hot.

Also what is a decent bit to use on the dremel to cut lexan/plexi? I Saw someone reccomended the fiberglass cutoff wheel, but wouldn't that melt the plastic?

Supposedly, you're supposed to put the dremel at a low enough speed where it won't melt the plastic. But, I haven't been able to do that yet without it going so slow that it either stops when it touches the plastic, or it takes FOREVER to cut.

Melting shouldn't be a huge concern.....it's not as bad as you think. If you have a toothed blade, then the melted plastic will start to gum it up. But if you use a cut-off wheel, then you will have no problems with a gummed up tool.

Of course, I've never tried to cut plastic at top speed....heh. I set it around the middle range.....10k-15k rpm, if you need specifics (actually I don't know what rpm its at....in the middle somewhere, heh).

okay cool thanks for the tips..ill head over to the home store and get some scrap pieces of lexan and see what i can do before i ruin my box :p

I use a jigsaw for cutting plexi - semi coarse blade.

As fo the flame polish, it just takes practice. Sand the edges nice & smooth - I usually go up to 600-800 grit. Then you just "lick" the flame on the edges - don't keep it in one place too long. You don't need a real big flame, inch long should do it. Just keep on "licking" with the flame & it will keep clearing up.

I also recomend just practicing on scrap.

hmm, I have no idea what ur talking about, but it sounds rather intruiguing(sp), jw, if any of ya got a linky so I can have some better idea what ur talking about

hmm, I have no idea what ur talking about, but it sounds rather intruiguing(sp), jw, if any of ya got a linky so I can have some better idea what ur talking about

Are you referring to flame polishing?

If so, all it is is taking a torch and heating up the plastic so it melts, thus restoring the original clearness of the plexi. This works well to get rid of scratches and smooth out edges....I suppose if you wanted to you could also use this method to form the plexi to a specific shape, if you're careful.

Cutting

If you are using true lexan, from GE, and you get it at the home depot (white and green backing), they will cut it for you, however if you would like curves they can't do that (from what i've seen), so i would really recommend using the #565 dremel cutting kit with the multi purpose bit, you should be able to get this at the home depot.

This cuts really well even on acrylic which is know for its brittleness, it works marvels on lexan, and you can use one of the sanding drums to clean up the edge. One last thing Lexan drills a whole lot better than plexiglass or acrylic, and is more scratch resistant.
;)

hm, they didnt have that at our home depot, lol. All I had to chose from was a single type of acryllic with a clear blue cover on each side....(that stuff is a pain to get rid of, it's got a ton of static, so it clings to you...lol)....they also had mirrored plexiglass there.....but it was the same brand with the clear blue cover on each side.

heh, I would have preferred to get lexan, but they didnt have it there, heh.

so basically if ya end up scratching your window up, it's used?

or is there some other possible application of it?

It's usually used instead of compound polishing on the edges of the plexi, to make them clear again.

Used a lot in car-audio industry where they put neons on the edges of plexy to highlight logos, etc.. engraved into the face of the plexi. Engraving is starting to get popular in case-mods too.

Flame Polish - Edges of plexi. Usually easier & quicker than polishing compound.

Polishing compounds(Novus) - front/back of plexi. For scratches in face of plexi, etc...

You can do flame polishing on the front/back, but you have to be very good at it to get it to look right.

Back