• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flat case, 4.6GHz 7700K, low noise: possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amundsen

Registered
Hello,

I intend to build a mini-ITX computer slim enough to be put inside a suitcase (meaning a thickness between 10 and 15cm, max. 17cm). I want an 7700K CPU overclocked to at least 4.6GHz while keeping noise emissions low (this setup will be dedicated to music). Transportation in the suitcase probably means also the exclusion of an acrylic case.

I don’t need a powerful GPU. If there’s enough room I could go with a fanless model or even go with the Intel Integrated Graphics if it’s mandatory to keep the inside of the box at low temperatures.

I’ll probably invest in a delidded CPU to lower the temperatures too.

Which case-cooling combination would you recommend? Please do also note it will be my first build.

How much are you looking to spend on said case?

The Dan A4-SFX case is the smallest mini itx case on the market that will fit a full length Gpu, but it’s $225.

The Ncase M1 is also a premium built mini itx enclosure that will fit any hardware your want, again it’s $195.

The fractal Node-202 is a cheaper case that will work and they also have a model with a SFX power supply included.

Silverstone also makes some great mini itx cases that would work well.

I would highly recommend visiting small form factor forums because with a mini itx system you have to make sure you get all the right parts to fit each case. The smaller the build the more complex it becomes and you should do some research on SFF site to get a real good understanding of what your getting into before you buy the components. The case will dictate which cooler will fit and how much headroom you’ll have to overclock a 7700k.

Thanks for the case suggestions. I intend to spend what is required for a good case, say up to 200€. What about the cooling for an overclocked 7700K?

Any reason you specifically want a 7700K?

This is my current setup. To me the base frequency matters more than a higher humber of cores as in a 8700K as my main software doesn’t seem to take much benefits from multicore.

This is my current setup. To me the base frequency matters more than a higher humber of cores as in a 8700K as my main software doesn’t seem to take much benefits from multicore.

I was unaware you already owned the 7700K. Are there any other parts you're reusing?

I was unaware you already owned the 7700K. Are there any other parts you're reusing?

I don’t plan to reuse older parts. Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was I wanted a configuration at least as fast as the one as I have now in my older machine.

I don’t plan to reuse older parts. Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was I wanted a configuration at least as fast as the one as I have now in my older machine.

Since you don't have a need of a dedicated GPU, have you thought about an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G? Their iGPU is much stronger than Intel's without any real sacrifice on CPU performance.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113480

You can see our review here: https://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g-apu-review/

Edit: also, the Wraith Stealth cooler included with that CPU is only 55mm in height including the fan so it could be a good option for you in the slim case.

Since you don't have a need of a dedicated GPU, have you thought about an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G? Their iGPU is much stronger than Intel's without any real sacrifice on CPU performance.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113480

You can see our review here: https://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g-apu-review/

Edit: also, the Wraith Stealth cooler included with that CPU is only 55mm in height including the fan so it could be a good option for you in the slim case.

The max. frequency of an 2400G is 4.1GHz whereas a 7700K has already 4.2GHz as base frequency. Single-core performance is very important for audio.

The max. frequency of an 2400G is 4.1GHz whereas a 7700K has already 4.2GHz as base frequency. Single-core performance is very important for audio.

Frequency is not the sole factor of single core performance. AMD and Intel have different levels of IPC (instructions per clock).
For example (completely hypothetical numbers) if you have a CPU running 4 GHz that is capable of 2 IPC and another capable of 4 IPC running at 3 GHz then the second CPU would be the higher performer.

What program(s) are you using?
What instruction set(s) does your program use?

Edit: Also if your program is RAM intensive AMD Ryzen natively supports higher RAM speeds than Intel.

Frequency is not the sole factor of single core performance. AMD and Intel have different levels of IPC (instructions per clock).
For example (completely hypothetical numbers) if you have a CPU running 4 GHz that is capable of 2 IPC and another capable of 4 IPC running at 3 GHz then the second CPU would be the higher performer.

What program(s) are you using?
What instruction set(s) does your program use?

Edit: Also if your program is RAM intensive AMD Ryzen natively supports higher RAM speeds than Intel.

I didn’t know about this IPC number. Any idea where to get the real figures for mainstream CPUs?

The programs I use are mainly Reaper, Max, Reaktor and a lot of plug-ins.

I didn’t know about this IPC number. Any idea where to get the real figures for mainstream CPUs?

IPC isn't a spec that you can just look up. Checking reviews and finding performance for your individual use cases is the best you can do for judging IPC.

Hey amundsen welcome, I read all your posts, you basically want a DAW. You can use the iGPU stick with that CPU and get lots of RAM as much as you can afford. Get a SSD for OS and programs and games and another SSD for your DAW projects. I use Sonar Platinum and I had a project using 40 tracks of CPU power and it only took 70 percent CPU power to finisht he project, now on rendering it will take advantage of all 12 threads. I can't ask for more which is why I don't need a upgrade. Just get 16GB RAM and SSD and the 78xx and overclock that. Your set with your DAW for many many years to come.

This page has interesting information about processors for audio use, especially when small audio buffers are required, which is usually the case for live music (I am running with 128 samples at 44.1kHz) - yes, I use Reaper for live gigs.

@Organik: as I am not so much concerned about rendering sessions than by running all the programs live, I don’t think the 78xx might be so interesting.

By the way, the question is still how to have CPU-intensive processing in a small volume with low noise emissions.

Ryzen is definitely the way to go if thermals are a concern. The TDP is 65W for most mainstream Ryzen chips (probably lower for the APUs, I'll have to check and edit this comment), versus the 95W TDP of most Intel chips. AMD also solders the metal lids to their CPUs (called an IHS, or Integrated Heat Spreader), removing the need for delidding (and actually making it technically impossible, you can do it, but there's much more risk of damaging your CPU and the performance gain will be a whopping 0%). ATMINSIDE is right, you're gonna want to go with the 2400G.

How much are you looking to spend on said case?

The Dan A4-SFX case is the smallest mini itx case on the market that will fit a full length Gpu, but it’s $225.
Actually Kolink Rocket is a bit better designed and is much cheaper, looks similar:
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/kolink_rocket_review_better_than_dan_cases_a4_sfx,1.html

I have in this case [email protected], Cryorig C7 Cu, 16GB TridentZ@4500, EVGA GTX1060 6GB ITX and Corsair 450SF Gold.
I guess that can be installed Noctua compact cooler with 12mm fan which should generate less noise under full load. On the other hand Cryorig C7 is enough and is quiet when CPU is not fully loaded. On 1-2 core load can barely hear it.

There are smaller cases but because of not enough space, cooler have to be small or close to side (top) panel what causes additional noise. Smaller isn't always better if you want small and quiet build.

Last edited:
Actually Kolink Rocket is a bit better designed and is much cheaper, looks similar:
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/kolink_rocket_review_better_than_dan_cases_a4_sfx,1.html

I have in this case [email protected], Cryorig C7 Cu, 16GB TridentZ@4500, EVGA GTX1060 6GB ITX and Corsair 450SF Gold.
I guess that can be installed Noctua compact cooler with 12mm fan which should generate less noise under full load. On the other hand Cryorig C7 is enough and is quiet when CPU is not fully loaded. On 1-2 core load can barely hear it.

There are smaller cases but because of not enough space, cooler have to be small or close to side (top) panel what causes additional noise. Smaller isn't always better if you want small and quiet build.

Indeed the Kolink Rocket is on my list. Other possibilities:

Lian Li PC-Q21.
Fractal Design Define Nano S.
Silverstone GD06.
Silverstone FTZ01-E.

Why have you opted for a 8086K instead of a 8700K? The power gain to price difference ratio seems minimal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back