• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flickering LED's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

hey guys, got a question for you, not quite a computer issue, but figured that someone here might have an idea for me here.
so my motorcycle has a dual 7" headlight setup, with H7 LED bulbs in them. this throws off a crazy amount of light, however, my bike does not make enough DC power for me to run these lights off the battery, so i have to run them right off the stator, which gives off 110w of 12v AC power.
However, when the bike is at idle, or anywhere below ~2-3000rpm, the lights flicker.
i was wondering if anyone here knew of any way i could cheaply/easily do something to stop the flicker at low rpms?
if it was DC power, i would figure out a way to integrate a capacitor of some sort, but i dont know if something like that would work with AC power..
thanks for looking at this
heres a couple shots of the lights in action.
lights.jpg
lights2.jpg

Well the first issue, those arent led's if they are running off (edit misread numbers) AC. Are you sure you arent running the Xenon bulbs?

Secondly, ignoring that bit, and addressing the issue. Considering the cruise time of a motorcycle under 3k rpm would be pretty high, you would need a LARGE capacitor. Both dangerous and expensive for a motorcycle, not something to play with imo.

They are LED, and are running off of 12v AC. And this is a race bike, most of the time it will be above that rpm, just would be nice to not have the flicker the times when I am not at that high of an rpm

They are LED, and are running off of 12v AC. And this is a race bike, most of the time it will be above that rpm, just would be nice to not have the flicker the times when I am not at that high of an rpm

H7 LED's run off DC power... only. If you are running an H7 off AC it is not an LED, unless you are using a rectifier inline. In that case the bulbs are not running off AC.... but DC from a rectified circuit.

What is your circuit, can you take pics? A capacitor large enough to fix this problem is inherently dangerous, and even more so on a motor cycle... excuse me a "racing bike".

These are LED bulbs, before I purchased them, I confirmed that they would run off of 12v ac from the manufacturer. I know that it is AC, because a 12v hid will not run off the bike unless you replace the stator and regulator/rectifier with one that gives off straight DC voltage, as right now it outputs 110w of 12v ac, and only enough DC voltage to trickle charge the battery so as to allow the electric starter to be used. A 35w hid will drain the battery to the point where none of the electronics work. I'll have a look to see if I can find a copy of the wiring diagram.
And sounds like I'll just have to deal with the low rpm flicker.
Only reason I said it was a race bike was because I was trying to say that it wasn't a highway cruiser, and the rpm's will often be in the 5k-9k(where the rev limiter is) rpm range.

Back