• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Form over function, Rackmount it all!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Adragontattoo said:
I am still thinking of picking up a few empty 5U(would need to measure to fight my rig in one) cases and just doing that instead.

Yes I flipped the words and should have had them the other way OOPS.

So far still winning these servers so I am hoping that I will be unboxing 2 servers in about a week.

Im thinking of setting one up to use as a centralized hub for Home automation (need to research more into it though).
What is your source for these rackmount cases? the only thing stopping me from completely doing this is the increbile expense of new rackmount cases and the slim pickings of used ones (like I see 1 every 1-2 months on craigslist) and shipping from ebay for those beasts is painful because they are solid steel. *edit* just looked at that arrowmax site and I gotta say. *woot*!

Currently have no rack though (for above reason) but I have a netfinity 5600 (working) and a gutted Compaq Proliant 5000 (I think its 8u?) that I plan to put atleast 2 PCs into but other than that when I can get a case for 20-30$ a several hundred dollar rackmount case for 2-3 PCs jsut cant cut it. (since 90% of them are folding rigs so I go for biggest bang for the buck)

Oh and on the note of ther stackable mini/dvr project cases, Im actually looking into that now, got two cheap microATX cases on the way that I found at directron. I think they will do nicely for mid range systems (ie my folding rigs) and from what I can tell they look like they sort of interlock with each other for the purpose of stacking, if so I think Ive found quite a sexy solution. Given their dimensions it looks like I might be able to put in a 120mm cooling fan into them (with a little shoe-horning) for some good, nearly-silent, cooling which is another plus since I will finally be able to use that case of Deltas I have in storage :D

Last edited:
pik4chu said:
What is your source for these rackmount cases? the only thing stopping me from completely doing this is the increbile expense of new rackmount cases and the slim pickings of used ones (like I see 1 every 1-2 months on craigslist) and shipping from ebay for those beasts is painful because they are solid steel. *edit* just looked at that arrowmax site and I gotta say. *woot*!

Currently have no rack though (for above reason) but I have a netfinity 5600 (working) and a gutted Compaq Proliant 5000 (I think its 8u?) that I plan to put atleast 2 PCs into but other than that when I can get a case for 20-30$ a several hundred dollar rackmount case for 2-3 PCs jsut cant cut it. (since 90% of them are folding rigs so I go for biggest bang for the buck)

Oh and on the note of ther stackable mini/dvr project cases, Im actually looking into that now, got two cheap microATX cases on the way that I found at directron. I think they will do nicely for mid range systems (ie my folding rigs) and from what I can tell they look like they sort of interlock with each other for the purpose of stacking, if so I think Ive found quite a sexy solution. Given their dimensions it looks like I might be able to put in a 120mm cooling fan into them (with a little shoe-horning) for some good, nearly-silent, cooling which is another plus since I will finally be able to use that case of Deltas I have in storage :D

Got a link for those microatx cases ?
I think I might use something like that for my home server and ipcop.

hkgonra said:
Got a link for those microatx cases ?
I think I might use something like that for my home server and ipcop.
sure one sec,

these are the ones I ordered.
http://www.directron.com/stratablubei.html
if you goto cases-small footprint, goto micro-atx cases and sort by price you will see the other ones (3 color selections in all) The description says blue/beige but the pictures looks black/grey so I guess we will see when they show up. The red/black looks kinda cool too. I ordered 2 cases and 2 refurb HDD (4gigers for F@H) and shipping was 14.1 for UPS ground so not bad at all IMO plus they come with 220W PSU so should be plenty for lower end systems that Ill be sticking in them.

*edit* accidentaly only ordered one case :sigh: guess it didnt take my quantity update, not a huge issue as I only really have one PC to put in it, but wanted to have a 2nd for the next PC which would have come very soon. Oh well, still anxious to see how it will turn out. (according to UPS stuff will arrive the 14th) if I intend to order more I will likely do it soon (also something from arrowmax place) getting kinda close to the xmas shipping madness season ;)

Last edited:
Actualy, im seeing quite a few decently priced racks in the DC area for 150 or less... it seems empty server cases are harder to come by on craigslist though.

But my favorites are the ones for like $25, one full rack and one half rack by the looks of the add.. out in ashburn.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/231754795.html

Full rack up in rockville
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/sys/230803716.html

A couple of servers... down in VA
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/229765792.html

Sleepy_Steve said:
Actualy, im seeing quite a few decently priced racks in the DC area for 150 or less... it seems empty server cases are harder to come by on craigslist though.

But my favorites are the ones for like $25, one full rack and one half rack by the looks of the add.. out in ashburn.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/231754795.html

Full rack up in rockville
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/sys/230803716.html

A couple of servers... down in VA
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/229765792.html

I dont live in Virginia :)

*edit* the first one looks more like cabinets than racks. For home use id lean towards a rack than a cabinet. cabinets are monstrous beasts that weigh a ton lol.

Im not home till thanksgiving... otherwise id be barrowing my friends truck and getting things i dont have room for :D

Just trying to help out adragontatto is all, I dont have quite enough to justify a rack quite yet. No doubt by the time i graduate that may no longer be the case.

Sleepy_Steve said:
Im not home till thanksgiving... otherwise id be barrowing my friends truck and getting things i dont have room for :D

Just trying to help out adragontatto is all, I dont have quite enough to justify a rack quite yet. No doubt by the time i graduate that may no longer be the case.
lol classic statement right there. should be an AFK marker like "Pik4chu is Away: getting stuff I don't have room for"
I think if I converted all PCs that are convertable to rackmount (aside from dell+2 shuttle and main rig) I could justify a rack if I can get one for cheap. And currently there are half a dozen for sale in denver for 50$ each but unfortunately I dont need them yet and he only takes cash. :D

Last edited:
pik4chu said:
lol classic statement right there. should be an AFK marker like "Pik4chu is Away: getting stuff I don't have room for"
I think if I converted all PCs that are convertable to rackmount (aside from dell+2 shuttle and main rig) I could justify a rack if I can get one for cheap. And currently there are half a dozen for sale in denver for 50$ each but unfortunately I dont need them yet and he only takes cash. :D
Horray for craigslist though!

This should end up pretty cool, i wish i could have the vertical PC storage fun for my self :D

Adragontattoo said:
Yup they are..

BTW Pik4chu

Found 4u rackmounts on Ebay for about 60USD with shipping if you are interested.(not my sale, I may buy 1 though)

I didnt want to throw the link up unless A. mod ok's it or B. a request is made.
Not bad price at all, the ones on arrowmax are about the same, I think I might go that route (plus the purchase wont be for a week or two, so the ebay will be gone) I also prefer to avoid ebay if I can, a few dollars more gives me peace of mind (since I can use a CC and CC company> Paypal when it comes to scams)

pik4chu said:
Not bad price at all, the ones on arrowmax are about the same, I think I might go that route (plus the purchase wont be for a week or two, so the ebay will be gone) I also prefer to avoid ebay if I can, a few dollars more gives me peace of mind (since I can use a CC and CC company> Paypal when it comes to scams)
I think it is a good choice , I have had really good luck with them.
Another place that I have used id this.

http://rackmountsolutions.net/

The prices aren't near as good as arrowmax but they have things that a hard to find.

Ok, forget it I have decided I am going to build myself a rack. Racks are such a nieche(sp?) market that all the vendors are drastically overcharging for even a 14u rack (usually 300+ for just the empty rack).

Now I just need to learn how to draw, get all the tools I wll need that I dont have, figure out the height and where I want to put it and then build it. *weeeeeeee!!!*

Adragontattoo said:
Ok, forget it I have decided I am going to build myself a rack. Racks are such a nieche(sp?) market that all the vendors are drastically overcharging for even a 14u rack (usually 300+ for just the empty rack).

Now I just need to learn how to draw, get all the tools I wll need that I dont have, figure out the height and where I want to put it and then build it. *weeeeeeee!!!*

It would be a cool project but if I were you , especially in the area you were in since there is SO much IT stuff going on there, I would keep my eye out in the paper and put the word out to buds what you are looking for.
I picked up 2 IBM rack cabinets here for $100. They sold for $6000 new.

Oh I am still gonna keep my eye out, dont worry about that but I will probably still build a rack in the meantime. My desk has plenty of space (kitchen countertop 10' x 8' L shape with Kitchen cabinets as the base) for me to build a rack either underneath or on top of.

Adragontattoo said:
Oh I am still gonna keep my eye out, dont worry about that but I will probably still build a rack in the meantime. My desk has plenty of space (kitchen countertop 10' x 8' L shape with Kitchen cabinets as the base) for me to build a rack either underneath or on top of.
keep in mind that racks have to be incredibly sturdy to stand up to all the weight you will sticking in them. That is the reason they are rather pricey new. Props to you if you build one but I don't want it to come crashing down on you and hurt something. :thup:

Considering how strong some of the work benches in my garage are that were all home made to fit the garage... I think its not too hard to engenier something sturdy enough to hold he weight.

The harder part for me would me making the propper mounting points for rack mount hardware.

Granted my idea of sturdy is 4x4's, 2x4's, carrige bolts, and 1/2'' chip board as a shelf. Oh yeah... I'm thinking of free standing - i wouldnt have the guts to putt a full rack on top of a coutnertop.

Sleepy_Steve said:
Considering how strong some of the work benches in my garage are that were all home made to fit the garage... I think its not too hard to engenier something sturdy enough to hold he weight.

The harder part for me would me making the propper mounting points for rack mount hardware.

Granted my idea of sturdy is 4x4's, 2x4's, carrige bolts, and 1/2'' chip board as a shelf. Oh yeah... I'm thinking of free standing - i wouldnt have the guts to putt a full rack on top of a coutnertop.

Oh yeah !!
I like that, but I don't use chip board for the shelves I use 3/4" hard rock maple plywood. You can't even nail into it without pre-drilling the holes , it will just bend the nails or bounce them off. :beer:

Back