• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Form over function, Rackmount it all!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sleepy_Steve said:
HAHAHA, well plywood is kinda expensive so... :beer:

Over Engeneering FTMFW!!!!!

My uncle runs a die shop so I get "scrap" for free.
Some of those scrap peices can be 4ft square or even 1ft wide and 8ft long.

Hardware stores are over priced for metal - and ive seen nothing to discount that. Woodworking skills for the win + all my tools are for wood.

Adragontattoo said:
My idea for a home built rack was incredibly similar to that but with a few changes. I planned to make shelves of sorts to slide servers onto rather than just bolting them to the rack, this way they will be easy to remove to work on if needed (since most of mine would have 2-4 boards per case) Just need to figure out how to make them strong but easily adjustable (for different U servers). Hmmmm

Server racks are terrific, but the rackmount cases can be pricy and the 1U or 2U cases use tiny fans that whine (actually scream is a better word). Loud enough that closing the door still causes sleeping difficulties in the next room.

Yeah eagle I know, I work in a room that is smaller then my living room with a full rack of servers. I have tuned them out almost totally. I just notice if they reboot or shutdown due to the noise change. ..

Got one server finally..

SuperMicro Super P6DGU
Dual P3 450's (will iupgrade them to 1ghz probably)
512 PC100
2x 9.1GB SCSI drives in Raid0 (I will probably upgrade to much better drives if the controller can handle Raid 5)
4mb Trident Vid card (woot!!!! hehe)

Still waiting on the other to come in.

I just yanked the 120 that was in the server (non thermal controlled 12v .385A Mechatronics) and replaced it with a Delta AFB(12v .9A) hehehe, Im used to the noise. My old Rig was loud enough that you could hear it across the house (literally up a flight of stairs and through 2 doors).

well after getting specs of the on board controller, I am going to probably go with a IDE or possibly a SATA HW Raid card probably.

Both SCSI cards I have limit drive capacity to 9gb it appears...

Running Raid 0+1 would still not be enough room, so the SCSI will go unused.

I have a feeling that this idea is going to cost me more then I want it to..

See my comment below -- David

I ended up spliting the drives between me and my dad lol -- so having a raid card for a centralised server was pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleepy_Steve said:
I have a 4 port 8 drive PCI HW raid card lying arround if you need. I can let it go pretty cheap as well. Garanteed not DOA, PM if interested.

I ended up spliting the drives between me and my dad lol -- so having a raid card for a centralised server was pointless.

/hopes no rule breakin is occuring.
which it is

//fears the ban hammer
which he may see now...

grrr...

Last edited:
thought so but couldnt remember eagle.

Steve do us both a favor and edit out that post. We both have access to the classies and I dont want to lose it or access to the forums in general. We can talk through the classies if it is a legit offer there. We get in trouble otherwise.

/doesnt want the Eye of SSS facing him.

Last edited:
Buying and selling outside the classifieds here is strictly prohibited. Please do not do this again in future

My bad. + oops!
Very sorry.

Would giving adragontatoo first dibs if i listed the card in the classies be in line with forum policies?

Last edited:
Yeah, i do bad with the selling things through the propper channels over here at ocf... because all the car forums im on have no enforcement of where to sell it -- and sometimes i get complacent(sp) when i come back here. Its something i need to beat myself into doing a better job of.

Back