• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Formula-z and FX-9590. Hangs and Freezing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shett shett S_B...

...it sounds like you have one of the most aggravating, heat monger FX-9590s I have heard of to date. And see when you write something it is not a noob talking. You know what you set. Dang man. I don't want to order one of these things I feel is an over-rated POS.

RGone...

One way to put your view, certainly doesn't bother me to have a challenge, I'm enjoying it to be honest.

Would never recommend this purchase for an average user wanting to actually overclock. It does however have benefits at it's stock rated speeds. 4.7ghz for any FX chip is nothing to bat an eye lid at. FX-9590 indeed humps even at stock :D

Over Rated? Well if I was to rate it as it's intended to be vs any other AMD chip as intended, it's by far a POS lol. For overclocking, yes a POS.

But never worries, Chiller standing by, de-lid with hopes of not killing this one.... you know the overclocker in me will have some fun. LN2 some day. Heck maybe next year, I'm in no hurries.

Like I said...

...said not talking to noob at your end and know for real you like a challenge. Hehehe. Just know if the 'one' you have was in the hands of the unknowing...shettshett.

RGone...

...said not talking to noob at your end and know for real you like a challenge. Hehehe. Just know if the 'one' you have was in the hands of the unknowing...shettshett.

RGone...

And that's why we are here. To help the unknowing peoples. Really this is good reference for people getting 8 series chips up to a speed of 4.7ghz, in most cases well over 1.4v. TinMan's thread is a good example, I believe he is running a custom loop?

Trying to find time for a water block reseat at the very least tonight. Gotta work today, but perhaps I can pop the block after work and scrape the paste off, get a good bead, spread it out and see how it works out for me. I believe last time I used a large Pea size drop in the middle. This is not usually how I apply TIM, spreading a thin layer always seemed to work out pretty good. I'll top of the reservoir and try and add at least one more rad fan and run 6 of them.

If it so happens I get fed up and want to actually get a higher clock speed out of this thing, I may fire up the chiller. I may not do this however because my coolant lines are a little short, I usually have a couple of rads on a whip so I can get the rads in the right placement. This one was built mainly for daily use and gaming, so I'll have to put the chiller right up to the case and send the air in through the side panel which I'll remove.

I cannot add a fan to the back of the mother board because the tray doesn't have a hole. I'm not going to tear apart and mod this because I'd like to keep the case as is. Socket temps are in good standing otherwise, my core temps jump pretty hard when trying to really get some volts pumped in. So my goal is to bring this temp down, should reflect the rest of the temps.

And that's why we are here. To help the unknowing peoples. Really this is good reference for people getting 8 series chips up to a speed of 4.7ghz, in most cases well over 1.4v. TinMan's thread is a good example, I believe he is running a custom loop?

Trying to find time for a water block reseat at the very least tonight. Gotta work today, but perhaps I can pop the block after work and scrape the paste off, get a good bead, spread it out and see how it works out for me. I believe last time I used a large Pea size drop in the middle. This is not usually how I apply TIM, spreading a thin layer always seemed to work out pretty good. I'll top of the reservoir and try and add at least one more rad fan and run 6 of them.

If it so happens I get fed up and want to actually get a higher clock speed out of this thing, I may fire up the chiller. I may not do this however because my coolant lines are a little short, I usually have a couple of rads on a whip so I can get the rads in the right placement. This one was built mainly for daily use and gaming, so I'll have to put the chiller right up to the case and send the air in through the side panel which I'll remove.

I cannot add a fan to the back of the mother board because the tray doesn't have a hole. I'm not going to tear apart and mod this because I'd like to keep the case as is. Socket temps are in good standing otherwise, my core temps jump pretty hard when trying to really get some volts pumped in. So my goal is to bring this temp down, should reflect the rest of the temps.

custom loop in the works. But I think I might try redoing the TIM on mine as well, used something different and wasn't sure how to apply it, was much thicker and dryer, wasn't like a paste, more like dried up caulk, and tough as all get out to spread. Thanks for making that post, gave me something to do tonight :/ (as if anything is ever finished, lol)

Thanks for givin it a shot S_B. That killed my curiosity any way. You have a pretty tough nut there that's for certain. You're right about it not being the "average user " chip. We've had a few come through and they have all been a pain.

Haha, You'd have no issues cooling this cpu.

But your right. Not much more to say here about it.

research completed

/thread

The short: I'm a noob. Not interested in overclocking, just wanted a setup that would take care of my gaming needs for a few years. Fallout 4 recommended specs stated 9590 (the anger I feel that they would recommend this processor...) System locked up after 30 min of fallout 4 on ultra, and again while downloading Battlefields 4. Both times, I booted into bios and did a temp check, both times >50C.

I ordered the processor online from Tiger Direct. Their stores are all permanently closed and they do not accept online returns.

I'm on stock settings.

My system specs:

MOBO:
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (Version Rev 1.xx)
Bios Version 2501

CPU
Amd FX-9590 Black

Cooler:
Liqmax II All in one liquid CPU Cooler

MEMORY:
Pny - DDR3 8Gb 1600 x2

POWER SUPPLY:
RX - 1000AE (1000 w)

VIDEO CARD:
XFC Radeon 7950 x1

HDDs:
SSD: PNY 240 Gb (SSD7SC240GSA-OPM)
Seagate Barracuda 1000Gb (PN: 1CH162-#)5)
Not on RAID.

SOUND DEVICE:
On Board (But using G430 via USB)

USB:
XBOX 360 Wired Controller
Logitech G430 Headphones.
Logitech K360 Keyboard
Logitech M570 Mouse
(Keyboard and Mouse share USB Adapter)

O/S:
Windows 8.1, fresh install.

Case:
Antec GX-505 Window ATX Mid Tower Computer PC Case (Model #GX-505 Window)
There are the 2 stock fans on Top, and I removed the rear fan to install Cooler.

What can I do to get a basic, stable setup? I need complete noob terms, and even though I am not interested in over clocking at all, welcome being pointed to over clock 101 tutorials to get up to speed with terms, definitions, and what I am getting into. I don't think I'm generating much heat at all so I'm sure I have some room to do whatever I need to do to get this thing stable. I have read through this whole thread, but because I have no idea what any of it means I don't think I took much from it. Most posts here are talking about some serious cooling, but at the same time I think you are all trying to over clock this processor? This just leads to my confusion.

I appreciate any advice. I am stuck with this processor, and honestly don't mind the challenge. What should be my next steps? Can you recommend any tutorials that will answer my questions without having to bug you? Is there a quick change this, change that guide I can use to get this thing stable?

Thank you so much for reading this, I'm in the dark and just want to play some Fallout.

If I was a betting man I would say you need an upgrade on your Motherboard. Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (Version Rev 1.xx) This is a mid leval board good for running an FX8XXX chip to mild ish 4.5 4.6GHZ Overclock your FX9590 CPU runs stock @4.7GHZ with most likely a CPU VCore of around 1.525v drawing too much power for your VRM's on your motherboard.

If I was a betting man I would say you need an upgrade on your Motherboard. Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (Version Rev 1.xx) This is a mid leval board good for running an FX8XXX chip to mild ish 4.5 4.6GHZ Overclock your FX9590 CPU runs stock @4.7GHZ with most likely a CPU VCore of around 1.525v drawing too much power for your VRM's on your motherboard.

If I understand you correctly, a mobo upgrade will do the trick? This is the third mobo in 48 hours (Yes, that means that I waited in line on thanksgiving night, on black friday and again today...), and only because I didn't look up whether they support this cpu. My current mobo stated that it supports it, is there any other options before I make that move?

thank you thank you thank you for the prompt reply!!!!!

The Cooler is not enough.
Liqmax II All in one liquid CPU Cooler

If you could add another 120.2 radiator, that might do the trick to keep it cool enough to prevent throttling.

Let me help here a little with this statement.

Most posts here are talking about some serious cooling, but at the same time I think you are all trying to over clock this processor?

You need serious cooling for this 9590 at stock my friend. Basically it's like taking a FX-8320 and overclocking it to 4.7 - 5.0ghz with considerable amount of voltage.

The processor can require as much as 1.5250v at only 4.4ghz. So at stock 4.7ghz and 5.0ghz turbo, it can generate a lot of heat quickly.

The Cooler is not enough.

If you could add another 120.2 radiator, that might do the trick to keep it cool enough to prevent throttling.

Let me help here a little with this statement.

You need serious cooling for this 9590 at stock my friend. Basically it's like taking a FX-8320 and overclocking it to 4.7 - 5.0ghz with considerable amount of voltage.

The processor can require as much as 1.5250v at only 4.4ghz. So at stock 4.7ghz and 5.0ghz turbo, it can generate a lot of heat quickly.

Thank you for the honest and straight up answer! I'm going to sell the chip. It just seems like the simpler route to get a more manageable chip than to deal with cooling.

Thanks a ton!

First of all i would like to say thanks to the OP for starting this tread. It is the only real info I have found for why my system might hang (KERNEL POWER EVENT ID 41) multiple times a day.

Bought this system part by part (all at once) from MicroCenter. Put it together and ran the normal new PC build routine (drivers, updates, etc.) and it ran fine for a couple of weeks. Once I started adding games and playing them the system freezes would start. Once or twice a day, then a few times a day. Sometimes it would go a few days with no problems but once it started hanging again it kept getting worse(6+ times a day).

I do not play heavy system games, just WoW, D3, OverWatch, Steam games like Cities Skylines, etc. I noticed when I had a lot going on on the screen (graphics and audio) is when it would freeze/hang. Like the last guy looking for help, all I want is for my system to run normally and play a game while watching/listening to YouTube videos. No over clocking needed or will ever want. Should I try and sell the 9590 and get an 8350? Can you guys help me tweak it so it runs normally? With taxes and a couple 2 year no questions asked MicroCenter warranties on my GPU and Monitors I paid $2892 and it is now basically as good as a smart book. Any more info you need let me know. Please help.

Thanks - Str8_Aim

Specs:
MOBO:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z 990FX
Bios Version 2201

CPU
Amd FX-9590 Black

Cooler:
Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme

MEMORY:
Corsair Vengeance Series 32GB(4x8) DDR3-2400 PC3-19200 CL11

POWER SUPPLY:
Corsair RM1000 (why? 'cause I was planning on running a 2nd GPU in the future)

VIDEO CARD:
Gigabyte GTX 980TI Windforce

HDDs:
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB x2
Toshiba 5TB HDD (for pics and GoPro video storage)

SOUND DEVICE:
On Board Realtech HD Audio

USB:
XBOX 360 Wired Controller
Razor DeathAdder Chroma Mouse
Razor Deathstalker Keyboard

O/S:
Windows 10, fresh install(today).

Case:
Corsair 760T- 2 Corsair AF140mm intake fans in the front, one on the bottom.
2 140mm Radiator fans blowing out the top and 1 Corsair AF140mm out the back by I/O shield. 6 144mm fans total. 3 In/3 Out.

Monitors:
Asus VG248QE 24" 144mhz x2

Extra generic PC crap like giant mouse/keyboard pad, speakers, external HDD, etc.

Wecome to OCF Str8_Aim
The first thing I would try is pulling out half that ram. Unless you are using the PC for some intensive software that actually uses 32Gb. The FX doesn't handle that much ram very well. Is it possible for you to post up some pics of HWMonitor free while the PC is runnng P95. Let's us get a look at the temps and volts under load. Also include CPUz main, SPD and memory tabs if you could.

I will work on those things after I get up. Been up all night trying to figure this out and formatting and re-installing stuff. I bought a lot of memory for when i format and process GoPro videos but I might of over done it a little.I logged in a game and had Corsair Link4 running when my PC froze again. Here are a few screens that I took. One is of the game on my main monitor and I was hovering over an in-game weapon and was seeing a preview of what it would look like when it hung. I may be a pc info noob but those numbers do not look too outrageous to me...am I right?

pcfreeze3.jpg

pcfreeze1.jpg

pcfreeze2.jpg

Last edited:
No they don't look too bad, one temp is missing though that will show in HWMonitor free. The socket, that one is important when it comes to these chips.

I have found out that in the 3rd picture in the upper left hand corner the 1st temp is the socket and the 2nd is the board. To me that looks like it is not a temperature issue. I am running HWMonitor now and will run my games first to get some numbers before I run Prime95. I will update soon, thanks again for this thread. :salute:

Ok after 36 hours my pc is running well again. I turned turbo off and disabled ECC ram. So far it has done the trick.

Back