• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Found an XMS PC5400 "deal"...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
I just happened to come across what seems like a pretty good deal to me...and I ordered some. I was looking for the best prices on XMS DDR2 5400 and the cheapest place I found in Pricewatch for 1GB was around $300 (Monarchcomputer.com). Just for the heck of it, I stopped by Fry's site since I have one local and they have 1GB XMS 5400 *PRO* for $299!

I am not particularly into the whole LED thing, but that price is easily $40 cheaper than any place I've seen the PRO and a whopping $80 cheaper than Newegg sells it for. For the same best price I've found for standard XMS 5400, I thought it was a good and wanted to share...

Enjoy!

I just read that the prices of DDR2 are dropping.

It seems that while the inventory of DDR held by the manufacturers is about a 10 DAY supply, their inventory of DDR2 has reached the 6 WEEK levels so they are having to lower prices to clear some out.

I guess we haven't all run out and "upgraded" to DDR2 boards yet, huh?

I don't think Fry's is necessarily known for a rapid response to market price changes LOL. I find it odd they were cheaper than anyone else even if prices are dropping (unless they have 6 month supply instead of 6 weeks!). Their reg XMS PC5400 for 1GB was more expensive than TwinX Pro by like $20? What you say makes sense though. It's a pricey deal to switch to 775 between the mobo, ram, CPU, and vid card. I just upgraded to a 775 mobo/CPU and kept my XMS DDR to save some $$, but the Asus 915P chipset boards have a problem with PCI-E lock...it doesn't really lock. The 925XEs do, but are DDR2 only, so I ended up having to get ram anyway...and another mobo.

Anyway, I hope I don't see it listed for like $250 somewhere next week ;)

I wasn't trying to make you feel bad about your purchase, it just so happened that I had just read that within the last 24 hours so your post caught my eye. I have no first hand experience with DDR2 so I generally don't even look at threads dealing with that topic.

And I understand how you would feel to see it priced much lower next week. I recently went out and bought a socket 939 cpu (3000) at what I thought was a good price and while I still had it in the box its price dropped from $185 down to $150 or roughly 20%!

No, I know you weren't, but that would be my luck LOL. Wow, that stinks about the 20% price drop on the CPU! I guess that's just the way PC gear is and why I never look for prices on things after I buy something...guaranteed I'll come across it cheaper somewhere else a week later ;)

Well, I'm always monitoring prices, not so much to compare them with what I paid, but just to stay abreast, as people seem to always ask questions along the lines of "what kind of this or that can I get for this much money?". Keeping up with the prices allows me to make suggestions to guys that are within the right range of their budget.

You are right though about prices on PC gear. It changes constantly as new products come out and the formerly new moves down the line...loosing its "bleeding edge" status and consequently, its value.

Back