• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foxconn A79A-S Bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Dave

Hello,
I just flashed my new A79A-S board with Bios P07, released 03/17/2009, using a Phenom 2 X3 710. It fixed the problem that I was having with HT link and NB multiplyers. They had no effect with the old P06 bios and thus limited the max board speed. Acc in auto would cause the system to lockup when saving the bios. This required the cmos to be reset to restore operation. I don't know if this is corrected in this version yet. It is very late and I don't feel like resetting the bios if it fails to work. I think that this new bios is a must have for owners of this board. :thup:

Cheers, Dave

Sweet thank YOU

Complained to foxconn about this before and they sent me a link to some overclocking site which inevitably led me back to Xtremesystems

going to flash this when I get it back together :) Glad that you posted this.. MY 920 thanks you :)

So glad I decided to keep this board it really is a high end board now :)

I am glad that I was helpful. This was my first post in this forum, so it is nice that it was of some value. I tested the ACC function this after noon and it functions,but the forth core is still locked out on my X3 710. I think that Foxconn followed AMD's wishes on this one. I like the board much more with a fully working Bios.

Regards,Dave

Foxconn A79A-S: CrossFire of PCIe_x16 has much lower 3DMark score than PCIe_x8?

Hi there:
I've started playing with my Foxconn A79A-S and Phenom II 940.
I also have a couple of Radeon 4870X2 cards.
What I found is that if I run 3DMark Vantage on Vista 64 bit, I get lower score with PCIe x16, than PCIe x8. I ran with the multiplier to 3.5GHz and NB @ 2400MHz. To test, I just changed the PCIe link width in the bios.
Here's a couple of screen shots.
Anybody has any clue? Why did I get the longer CrossFire cable ;-)?

Attachments

• pcie_x16.jpg
    pcie_x16.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,293
  • pcie_x8.jpg
    pcie_x8.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 2,312
New bios fixed PCIe_x16 issue...

Just an update...
I installed the new bios (P07) and it fixed my PCIe_x16 issue.

Attachments

• new_bios.jpg
    new_bios.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,248
This is great to hear! I was considering getting the A79A-S to replace my HA04 Jetway board until I read that the Foxconn had exactly the same problem with the NB/HTT multiplier that my Jetway did! This BIOS update makes the Foxconn board a much more versatile solution for overclockers...

ETA : The AMD CPU combos with this board at Newegg are still going. For some of these, it's basically buy the processor, and the motherboard is only an extra $75 or so extra. That's a good deal by any standards... LINK

Last edited:
I have this board also. Pretty good board. Not the the best in the world, but for $140 plus $50 instant saving for combo from newegg, you can't ask for anything better. The bios can get annoying at first, especially the Hex decimal thing for certain multis. After awhile you get use to it. My biggest issue with this board is that whenever I choose to "Save and Exit" from the bios my system won't POST. I always have to do a hard or soft reset to get it to POST. After that its all good to go. Check out my sig for my achievements so far.

Foxconn showing the same BIOS that was upped in march (P07) as being updated May 11th.

Unfortunately I can not DL them since there is a DB error.

So far what is broken in p07 (march)

CPU FID/DID control
Command Rate
Memory Speed Limit

Updated to the NEW p07 released this month and it looks like it fixed my FID control problem. IT did not at first, and did not fix command rate, but after a few restarts I noticed my CPU running at 880MHz :)

(Interestingly 1200MHz stress test with vcore at 1.475 (1.488 or 1.496 in CPUZ) with the latest p95 only raised core temp 2degrees C.) (26C idle 28C load after 5minutes)

Forgot to check to see if command rate was fixed after CPU FID started working. Managed to hit 300HTT now, so board is not holding me back.

:thup:

BIOS was one of my concerns with Foxconn. They've made OEM boards forever but that also means they don't have to support the board, either. Good to see them plugging away at the problems ... :)

By the way, has anyone noticed how much faster Foxconn's web site is lately? It used to be slower than the 7 year itch. Now its pretty snappy. Looks like the company has been working to improve along multiple fronts. I put a $39 740 chipset (rebranded 690) based Foxconn board in my wife's computer around the first of the year and its turned out to be a great little board that has lots of OC features and runs quite cool. My only gripe was the slow website when you had to find a bios or a utility and now that seems fixed.

Can I ask you guys a question?

I am just now getting to the point that I can justify ( ha..!) upgrading to at least a dual core and I have just about settled on this Foxconn board:
http://www.newegg.com:80/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186150

Now, I am still a bit confused at to whether this board can take an AM3 cpu. The several "AM" designations get a little hard for me to keep sorted out. I didn't think it could, but I read elsewhere that it could...:confused:.

What is the difference between AM2+, and AM3?

That price range is really about as far as I can convince myself to go since I'm not a gamer and I don't do any intensive video/audio work...but I still want to get a good board that I can grow with.

Thanks, ya'll!

The sockets are a little confusing, especially if you've been out of the loop for awhile. And some of the board manufacturers labeling doesn't help either! :-/ Here's a basic break-down:

AM2 uses DDR2 RAM; HT Link speed 1000 MHz
AM2+ uses DDR2 RAM; HT Link speed 2000 MHz
AM3 uses DDR3 RAM; HT Link speed 2000 MHz

The AM2/AM2+ socket is exactly the same and all AM2 CPU's will fit either socket. However, there are sometimes issues with older AM2 motherboards not supporting Phenom CPU's - usually because the manufacturer doesn't update the BIOS.

AM2 CPU's are not equipped to handle DDR3 RAM so they won't work in an AM3 socket (the pins are different enough to keep that from happening as well).

AM3 is a different socket than AM2 but AM3 CPU's are backward compatible so any AM3 CPU will fit any AM2 socket. But, once again, the motherboard manufacturers may or may not have updated the BIOS to handle the newer (AM3) CPU's. At this point in time it is critical to check the motherboard manufacturers website to see what chips their motherboards will support. Theoretically, any AM3 CPU can be used in the board you linked but if Foxconn didn't update the BIOS to support AM3 CPU's then they might not work or may not work correctly (meaning some BIOS features may not be there or may not work right). It's all up to the manufacturer. There are a LOT of AM2 boards out there with AM3 CPU's in them and the AM3 CPU's overclock just fine in those boards IF they're supported ...

Thanks, QuietIce...So AM3 cpu's will fit the AM2 socket, and will run with DDR2 ram...as long as the Bios has been updated to accept AM3 cpu's...correct?

But if you have an AM3 socket only, then an AM2 cpu will not physically fit...and will not work with DDR3 ram...is that correct?

trents...thanks for the Foxconn link...great info there.

Super..!! Then I should be able to run some AM3 cpu's on that board provided that the Bios has been updated.

Thanks, QuietIce...So AM3 cpu's will fit the AM2 socket, and will run with DDR2 ram...as long as the Bios has been updated to accept AM3 cpu's...correct?

But if you have an AM3 socket only, then an AM2 cpu will not physically fit...and will not work with DDR3 ram...is that correct?

trents...thanks for the Foxconn link...great info there.

Super..!! Then I should be able to run some AM3 cpu's on that board provided that the Bios has been updated.

"Yes" to all.

Back