• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPW2005/P275

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lemings

I am upgrading my monitor soon and am debating which of the these two to get...

Dell FPW2005 or the IBM P275

I know there is somewhat of a large price difference in those monitors, but I like those the best out of the other monitors I have looked at. I could not find any decent reviews on either and I know lots of people here have the FPW2005. I plan on using it for gaming, but for the most part I do a lot of reading, so I don't want something that will strain my eyes over time. I like the idea of widescreen, but I don't want to sacrifice a lot of performance for it. Also keep in mind I have never owned nor been around a LCD before, so it would be rather new experience for me if I were to go LCD. So the question is, which would you guys overall recommend? not on price, but on quality and performance.

Thanks in advance
------------------
Lemings

2005fpw all the way. Try it, you'll like it. 125fps gaming is fine, just cap at that. Motion performance is surpisingly good, and 2D image quality and color accuracy are outstanding. Even my boss's 30" Apple LCD does no better (but is a heck of a lot larger).

Also look at it from this point of view: monitors die. Yep, it happens. And it happens often with refurbed off-lease ebay monitors. Should it happen with a 2005, you call dell and they send a replacement. For three years. Protect your investment, buy the dell.

I had a series of expensive CRTs and lately used a 21" Nokia off-lease ebay beast that served me well, but quit answering the call one day. P275 can pull the exact same stunt--after you've spent the lion's share of what a 2005 costs on it.

The Dell will be much easier on the eyes doing 2D stuff. As far as gaming, you can't beat the IBM. The majority of 2005FPW users have no problem gaming on it, but if you have "fast eyes" like me it's worthless, as is any LCD. I used to have one and got rid of it after 2 weeks, I couldn't see any details from all the ghosting. I suggest using one of the demo LCD's at your local Best Buy or whatever and see if you notice any blur that's distracting. Try model's with different response time, the Dell is 12ms for reference.

I have my money on the Dell... but in case this falls through... I was wondering what your opinions were on the Ben Q FP202W. I heard its relatively the same screen as the 2005FPW but at a cheaper price. I am set on going with LCD now... so feel free, anyone, to throw a suggestion out there within the mid-budget range. I am looking for widescreen if that helps narrow your opinions down.

if i recall the 2005 is only 16 ms response time so its more like 62.5 fps

Back