• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fractal Define R6... in Gunmetal :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I already have a bunch of water gear, so custom loop is easy for me. It's nice that radiator prices are dirt compared to the past with all the competition now.

I'll either add a 3x120 to my current loop for the new rig build (4x120 + 3x120 total), or go Fractal and get a 2x140 for top and bottom. Separate loops for GPU and CPU.

I already have a bunch of water gear, so custom loop is easy for me. It's nice that radiator prices are dirt compared to the past with all the competition now.

I'll either add a 3x120 to my current loop for the new rig build (4x120 + 3x120 total), or go Fractal and get a 2x140 for top and bottom. Separate loops for GPU and CPU.
True true.
Sticking a 140 style rad in the top I could see being tricky. Just looking what I have its tight. Forget it if you have tall ram. 120mm style would be a must.

And the update. While last couple days have been total strike outs. Till I was going to mount my heatsink back on. Presto! I used the mounting system for my heatsink and it worked! Not perfect yet but going to reapply paste as this is still from 4 resets now. My second core and thread isnt spiking up to 80C+. Mind you this is underclocked at 3.2ghz with 1.1V right now with no fans on the rad. Running for eeh 20min now.

Hopefully this does the trick. Really don't want to send this back. cf7f75bda8657746f8c10e5b3b8b0660.jpg c42ea965acda4f20befedb2e594aebd0.jpg 9bda3d9a3b9020d9a5176fcf44338301.jpg

Tada! Aaand silly me still had the thick washers on the back of the board for the old plate.... Replaced with old washers and Success!!!

18-20C Idle and just under 60C load currently with just a few min test back at my 4.5Ghz. Very happy now, actually much cooler than I expected, minus stead increase due to water temp til it hits its nominal temp. And its QUIET.. really quiet.

de2aca0d2955f9f2e1400dee0f48b9d1.jpg cdef21776d879c68ab81dfc81c76f78a.jpg

Few tests in progress here but stable temps going on. All with balanced settings on the pump and actually front of the case closed. The all the case fans right now, til I play with the settings more and get familiar with the program, are tied to the CPU temp. So working on figuring that out but right now might not be necessary.
4.5Ghz - Heat Test 1.jpg 4.5Ghz - Heat Test 2.jpg

Right now giving CPU is idling along but giving my GPU a work out doing a little crypto. With infeed fans (2x 140 on the rad) at basically idle (600RPM) and the exhaust fans (3x 120's and 1x 140) around 50-60% speed (750RPM) GPU at full bore is 57C right now, 46% fan speed. Hmmm thought I had the fan curve a little higher than that. Oh well either way great!! CPU is um 19-21C. Room temp is 16-17C roughly right now, night basement, cold weather. Going to let it run the night I think now, setup a few notifications if something gets out of hand and to kill the PC so we'll see how it goes now.

Glad you were able to solve the issue. Sad it wouldn't work for you right out of the box though...

Glad you were able to solve the issue. Sad it wouldn't work for you right out of the box though...

Yes that sucks not working right away and almost going to RMA route. Really should but its not the the issue with the true piece of equipment, its the mounting bracket which sucks. But after all that it works better than expected now, and very quiet.

2x140 would be plenty for the CPU. I like to water cool my GPUs, too, so that might necessitate another 2x140 up front. How's the noise and temps on your GPUs on air at load?

Ok getting back to your question.
Temp wise, I'd say its pretty similar to what it was before. My GPU Core stays between 1890-1986 (+100) give or take a little and with Mem at 6050 (+550). This is at 120% power limiter with +40 on voltage. Temps I was seeing, depending on what test was 63-67C with roughly corresponding fan speed. Think 64% was the highest the fan went on the cooler, must of changed my V-Curve on it. Anyways the video card was partially audible. Where the case sits is near my feet (about 8" off the ground) and it was half in/half out of my desk enclosure. All fans where operating in the "balanced" mode with the main intake fans at 600-650RPM give or take a little. I will have to change the intake fans to give a little more oomph I think. Just needs a little bit more cool air into the case, might see if placing one of the spare 140's on the bottom helps with air intake.

Room Temp was between 17-18C at the time. 67C was with the front of the case closed, 63C was with it open (just a few inches not all the way). Mining on the card with a 90% TDP sits the card between 55-57C typically.

Overall I got the same amount of fans then I had before in my case, but 2x 120's where on my heatsink previously and all case fans where 120mm. Temps I'd say are slightly cooler on the GPU side, but its significantly quieter! I know my case fans previously where at 12V fully cranked and they where anything but quiet and are at least 9 years old (doesn't show up in my newegg history!). Actually found a thread from 2006, and was talking about them! Yeah they be a little dated... and use to be quiet haha use to be 28dB, yeah I think the bearings are going in them because its much much louder than the new fans running at full blast (all of them).

Not sure if the light strips are worth it in the case and will test that shortly. But my case as is right now. Pics with the lighting and just flash to get a better visual inside the case.

20180410_220417.jpg 20180410_220422.jpg 20180410_220322.jpg 20180410_220327.jpg 20180410_220337.jpg 20180410_220340.jpg 20180410_220352.jpg 20180410_220359.jpg 20180410_220504.jpg 20180410_220537.jpg 20180410_220542.jpg 20180410_220555.jpg 20180410_220757.jpg

Also decided... no need for the RGB Light Strips. I tried playing with them in the case a little bit last night but I couldn't find a good spot to even consider them. If anything I might switch the front fans to inside the case still but overall I like the look. Its nice, clean and can have lower light levels.

Color scheme inside... TBD. Right now sticking with a Teal color, something different, with a "Visor" Red/Blue that goes through all the fans (looks more purple since it stacks ontop of the Teal). Very impressed with the airflow in the case and quietness and coolness of it all. Looking forward to a some years with this wonderful case.

So the hoses are long enough for the rad to be front mounted. Interesting. Then you have standard exhausts. No optical, so are you using USB/LAN only?

Thinking I might pick up one of these for fun now.

Any plans to work on wiring on the backside?

So the hoses are long enough for the rad to be front mounted. Interesting. Then you have standard exhausts. No optical, so are you using USB/LAN only?

Thinking I might pick up one of these for fun now.

Any plans to work on wiring on the backside?

Yeah there is lots of room with the tube length.

Not sure what you mean by no optical. I do use the USB and LAN ports.

Yeah I will figure the back side out some how but just got really busy with work so sadly not as much time right now to tweak it as I want. As well a few side projects I'm sketching up.

I meant optical drive, DVD/Bluray.

Oh duh, yeah no optical. If I mounted the rad to the top (be tight but could be done), I could of potentially kept the optical bay in there. Probably still could do it if I modified the bracket of how it mounts to the frame of the case but, I got a USB drive for that now. More than happy with having it external, as well got another PC near by at this time, that I have a DVD drive in it if really needed.

I think mine weighs close to that loaded. Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24, with a quad rad.

I have no clue how much my Primo case weighs now with everything in it (sig), but I do have a dolly I made that it sits on and I can wheel it close to the coffee table, then put on my weight lifting belt on to be able to lift the behemoth and lay it on it's side to work on.

I have no clue how much my Primo case weighs now with everything in it (sig), but I do have a dolly I made that it sits on and I can wheel it close to the coffee table, then put on my weight lifting belt on to be able to lift the behemoth and lay it on it's side to work on.

Weight lifting belt... yeah that sounds heavy.

Back